Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It seems to me, irrespective, that you are more miffed about the upgrading from the way that you have written this. Had they not been upgraded - and you done "Me Too" none of this would have happened. It was not handled well but then you must have been minding their business to know that all this was going on. Were you to have missed out on the meals (such as they are) and drinks because they gave them out to someone else then you would have good reason to complain - as it is you got what you paid for. I rather expect that none of this is what you expected or want to hear on what has become a largely BA hostile Forum - but I suspect that you might have got the same responses on other airlines' Fora.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
We all occasionally are the recipient of exceptions being made to our benefit, whether we ask or not, know it of not. When such an exception to the rule is made for others for something as innocuous and totally inconsequential as an onboard upgrade, we shouldn't complain. We also shouldn't complain when the same exception is not extended to everybody else, otherwise it wouldn't be exception, would it? Complaining in such instances only leads to a world full of "computer says no" types, absurdly rigid application of every single stupid little rule, and a service culture slavishly devoted to following procedure rather than actually providing good customer service.

I'm glad BA in this case bent the rules and gave a ground of friends a memorable experience.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
My issue is mainly with the attitude of the CSM.
If that's the case why does the title of this thread refer to the fact that F was opened up to a hen party?

Damage limitation I suspect
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jed
My issue is mainly with the attitude of the CSM.
Although the majority of replies to this thread have painted my on board attitude to be of a self entitled DYKWIA, you weren't there.
I simply asked if we could be moved too, having clearly witnessed that the F cabin was not closed after all. The reposte I got from the CSM forms my major grievance. I was not at all disruptive as I have more sense than that.
As stated before, my second issue is with staff 'upgrading' whoever they feel like.
And yes, I live life for myself and my family, so will do whatever I can to get the best for us at all times.
Gosh! You've been given quite a bashing in his thread

It crossed my mind this could be a wind-up.

If it's not, and while resilience is an admirable quality, it's probably a good time to stop digging.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
It's reports like this that make me understand how genuine complaints can often be fobbed off.....
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Padmeister
If they were on a hen party why would you even want to upgrade with them anyway?
Especially with kids. OP should now disengage from this thread.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
And yes, I live life for myself and my family, so will do whatever I can to get the best for us at all times.
Are you serious? This was the difference between a flat bed seat and a slightly larger flat bed seat in a smaller cabin - not about some major challenge to 'get the best for your family'. To me that phrase is more appropriate to describe refugees fleeing a war zone with their kids than a gripe about spending 2.5 hrs in CW vs F... Unless one has lost all sense of perspective that is.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jed
The reposte I got from the CSM forms my major grievance.
It's spelled riposte.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:26 pm
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
If I'm reading things right you enquired about access to the F cabin four times before boarding the plane?
I asked a little while after booking (after reading the MAD 777 thread). I was told that it would only be used as overflow, which I accepted. I asked a few days prior to departure when ordering my son's child meal, as I could see the cabin was filling up. I didn't want the presence of our infant son to disadvantage us, as a little lock symbol appears over the adult associated with the infant and I didn't want us to fall victim to a case of 'computer says no' if they were using the F cabin. I was then told to ask at check in, which I did. Check in asked me to ask at the lounge and the lounge asked me to ask at the gate.

In my experience with BA, you do have to keep checking on things otherwise in the various handovers of seating control as departure approaches, with an infant, the seating can often get locked and one is overlooked for cabin rolls etc.

It was a case of being told at every stage that the cabin wasn't being used, then when I saw it WAS being used onboard, I asked if we could move into it and was given an aggressive reply. Just because I am a GCH doesn't mean it isn't a special family trip for us either.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by 1poundcoin
They got something you didn't, so what. The self importance & entitlement of people nowadays is staggering. Out of interest how many clitoris cards did you have on your hand luggage ?
Whilst I fully agree with the sentiments of your post, if the "c word" here really is an autocorrect error, what on earth were you attempting to type?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
How many times did you ask the CSM?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Blimey. Just seen this thread and it's like DKYWIA 2.0.

As as far as I see it, J pax got the peace and quiet they paid for and the hen party were contained in a separate area under control. I'm sure the OP would have complained even more vehemently had he got what he wanted and then spent the rest of the flight listening to a rowdy hen party upsetting his infant son. Can't have it both ways.

The amount of hot air expended by the OP in trying to justify his behaviour is ridiculous. A shame they didn't threaten to offload you on the ground, I wonder how loud and aggressive you were towards the CSM?

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Apr 15, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Well done the Captain and CSM for giving the bride a special treat for her special occasion.

Excellent customer service...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd have been delighted to see a hen party being upgraded - good on them, good on the captain, and good on the CSM. Perhaps it wasn't followed up very well but then, we only know one side of the story.

Anyway, moving the party to the F cabin has three benefits -

- Run of the cabin for them to get up to silly stuff

- If the bride's dress was anything like the one I wore to my wedding (not to a hen do), it wouldn't have fit into the space in CW, so they did the dress a favour

- Keeps the cabin quiet. Parties may be quiet at first, but is that because they're being considerate to other passengers? Probably! Let them run wild in their own private area, but keep the rest of the cabin quiet.

They could soon get loud once the alcohol starts flowing, especially in flight, and you never know what they might have got up to in the F cabin. For all we know, it might have been R18!

I wouldn't want to impose myself on a hen party on my own, let alone with kids (my goodness, have you not heard some of the language that is used at some hen parties?! The stuff that makes me want to cover the ears of cats and dogs, never mind children... and I can swear like a naughty trooper...).

And... if my husband asked for to ask for something like this, twice in a short space of time, let alone 4 times, I will confiscate his Gold Card

Regardless, I really recommend just forget this and enjoy your holiday - far more productive than being upset about not being able to sit in the F cabin on a short flight!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.