Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Timely article by the BBC - What happens when travel is disrupted by stag and hen parties?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by peck
Surely this is a wind-up? Quality work OP!!
I'm sure it isn't.

As I said upthread yesterday, I'm shocked so many are bashing the OP about this. This isn't an upgrade issue. It is a seating issue. Think about it this way:

Say you are on a 747 in CW with your family. You've been trying to score some UD seats since booking but the cabin is full so you are in some crappy seats on the main deck. But you can see rows 62 and 64 are blocked off entirely rather than being occupied. You ask by calling up at t-72, and at check in, but are told that those rows aren't being opened up for operational reasons.

Just before take off you see a group of lads on a stag do disappear upstairs to see the cockpit for some photos. They don't come back down before take off so you suspect they've bagged some seats upstairs. You ask the SCCM if there are any seats free upstairs and you are given a load of BS as to why the stag group has been allowed to sit up there but you haven't been.

A perk of being a GCH is getting first dibs on the prime seats. The OP asked to better seats within the same cabin and was denied for no good reason. Others were allowed to move to those seats. I would be pretty f**ked off too.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:05 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Happy Easter from a sunny Madrid. Good to see that this is currently the number 1 trending thread on Flyertalk and that so many of you who were not there have painted such an evocative picture of the events on board. Posting on the internet is a bit like driving a car- like road rage within one's bubble of anonymity.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I'm sure it isn't.

As I said upthread yesterday, I'm shocked so many are bashing the OP about this. This isn't an upgrade issue. It is a seating issue. Think about it this way:

Say you are on a 747 in CW with your family. You've been trying to score some UD seats since booking but the cabin is full so you are in some crappy seats on the main deck. But you can see rows 62 and 64 are blocked off entirely rather than being occupied. You ask by calling up at t-72, and at check in, but are told that those rows aren't being opened up for operational reasons.

Just before take off you see a group of lads on a stag do disappear upstairs to see the cockpit for some photos. They don't come back down before take off so you suspect they've bagged some seats upstairs. You ask the SCCM if there are any seats free upstairs and you are given a load of BS as to why the stag group has been allowed to sit up there but you haven't been.

A perk of being a GCH is getting first dibs on the prime seats. The OP asked to better seats within the same cabin and was denied for no good reason. Others were allowed to move to those seats. I would be pretty f**ked off too.
Well, when you put it like that....

However its only a seat and not worth getting your knickers in a twist.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:11 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I'm sure it isn't.

Thanks. Generally what tends to happen on these forums is that once a trend of opinion declares itself, people come out of the woodwork and pile in, some of whom will inevitably side with the consensus rather than the minority in order to gain perceived credibility and avoid being castigated themselves.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
A perk of being a GCH is getting first dibs on the prime seats.
No it isn't, and therein lies part of the problem with OP's complaint and your analogy. Aside from Row 1 seats, BA makes no promise whatsoever to gold cardholders that they will get 'first dibs on the prime seats'. None.

So this thread is essentially:

Step 1 - Use imagination to invent something I must surely be entitled to;
Step 2 - Get denied;
Step 3 - Whine and rant.

Nothing much more than that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
No it isn't, and therein lies part of the problem with OP's complaint and your analogy. Aside from Row 1 seats, BA makes no promise whatsoever to gold cardholders that they will get 'first dibs on the prime seats'. None.

So this thread is essentially:

Step 1 - Use imagination to invent something I must surely be entitled to;
Step 2 - Get denied;
Step 3 - Whine and rant.

Nothing much more than that.
Yes, focusing on one phrase is absolutely the way to address my point...

Being equally pedantic, I'm pleased to see that you recognise that they do make that promise. Indeed, they specifically mention row 1. I'm sure the OP would have happily taken row 1.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold

Being equally pedantic, I'm pleased to see that you recognise that they do make that promise. Indeed, they specifically mention row 1. I'm sure the OP would have happily taken row 1.
Yes but the point being the OP after already doing well for himself and getting on an aircraft with CW instead of CE wasn't happy with that as the moment some other people are getting moved in to the First cabin he wants a piece of it and really tries to get his own way and fails! You can put it how you like but the OP clearly thought he was very important and didn't like the fact the Hen party get to sit in First seats and he does not nothing more nothing less! And like I said further up thread why the hell anyone would want to move in to the same space as a hen party is beyond me!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)

It's not pedantry on my part, merely a comprehensive refutation of your ludicrous analogy. On an aircraft with First Class, the only priority that BA offers to Gold cardholders in respect of seats in Row 1 is for those who hold First Class tickets. OP had a CE ticket and accordingly had zero entitlement to a seat in Row 1 or anywhere else in the F cabin. Zero.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Jed
Thanks. Generally what tends to happen on these forums is that once a trend of opinion declares itself, people come out of the woodwork and pile in, some of whom will inevitably side with the consensus rather than the minority in order to gain perceived credibility and avoid being castigated themselves.
sorry but I totally disagree. If anything Ba ft is very fractured with both sides launching missives at eachother.

In this case, you could not for two hours accept the fact BA did a lovely thing for a group of ladies and you still insist you and your infant kids should have been part of probably a raucous party, for the sake of a slightly larger seat. It is pathetic actually in my honest opinion. So much so I still think this may be a wind up and if it is I salute you.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I'm sure it isn't.

I would have been a tad miffed, yes. But I am certain that I would not have allowed it to escalate into a full blown row with the CSM. Personally I would have said nothing, but if you're going to say something then make the point and move on- insisting on being moved, which sounds like what happened, seems a bit of an extreme response. That said, and in fairness to the OP, we weren't there to witness it, so maybe he did just that and was then dragged into a dispute with the CSM.

I think that having a dispute about what is a pretty marginal thing is what gets me. Then again, I have posted four times on this thread now so maybe I need to have a lie down (CW or First) myself��.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:56 am

That's news to me. When will this be published on BA.com?

I'm not aware the OP had any rights at all in this situation. Sounds more like jealousy to me.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
It's not pedantry on my part, merely a comprehensive refutation of your ludicrous analogy. On an aircraft with First Class, the only priority that BA offers to Gold cardholders in respect of seats in Row 1 is for those who hold First Class tickets. OP had a CE ticket and accordingly had zero entitlement to a seat in Row 1 or anywhere else in the F cabin. Zero.
Ah ok I see you've missed the logic.

On this aircraft rows 10-15 were originally designed as club Europe. The seats were those that you might recognise from CW. Rows 1-4 were blocked off from the CE cabin to everyone. Those seats are what is usually sold as first. Fair enough.

When the CSM decided to unblock rows 1-4 to some passengers, the GCH should have been allowed to move to a spare seat within the unblocked area. The CSM acted poorly in refusing to allow a GCH to move to an open seat in the same cabin as he had purchased.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by simons1
That's news to me. When will this be published on BA.com?

I'm not aware the OP had any rights at all in this situation. Sounds more like jealousy to me.
At the time of booking and after you have free seat selection of any seats on the aircraft that are not blocked or occupied. The seats the OP wanted to moved to were neither blocked nor occupied. He should have been allowed to move to seats that were within the same cabin as he had purchased.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
I don't recognise this in the BA forum at all. The BA forum is filled with opinion, often voiced strongly, and strong characters who are very willing to share their views regardless of whether it fits with others' or not. It's what makes this forum so interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.