Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by nux
How long did it take to get through to BA Customer Relations on a Saturday bank holiday weekend?
Less than 5 minutes for me! I was surprised but she said they weren't that busy.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: BA silver
The bride to be had to agree to tell the Daily Mail about the magnificent gesture made by BA

Originally Posted by Jed
No I didn't get his contact details. I'm not going to pursue this like a tribunal in a court of law.
My main issues:
If F cabin is closed, it should stay closed, not become a party zone for crew to 'upgrade' whoever they feel like. That includes the captain (not that I have any concrete information that the captain was actually involved).
The way the CSM spoke to me after I too asked if we could be moved up.

No sour grapes for the Hen do- but obviously it's natural that I would have wanted a F Seat too. I'm not going to deny that
Contrary to what you seem to think, you don't run the organization and I'd say the CSM and Captain are much more qualified to make a judgement call on the bolded bit than you are (that is what BA have paid them to do).

I genuinely cannot believe this thread. Pre CE on domestics I used to get on an Mid haul A321 and some lucky people were sat in flatbeds and sometimes I wasn't one of them. Sounds like I should have burst into tears on gone all United Airlines on those lucky passengers based on your attitude.

Deary me. Sounds like the CSM had their work cut out with a severe case of DYKWIA.

Originally Posted by Tinseltown
I'm sorry, but the above statement is so, so wrong. I know plenty of people with contacts who get upgraded all the time because of said contacts.

I think you have to be realistic. Some people are lucky, some aren't. This time, it wasn't you. Why not let the ladies have a special time together for once?!?

As a student, I had to fly between countries (as I lived in a different country from where I was attending uni), and I was upgraded as an 19-year-old who happened to be well-dressed. No elite status or something whatsoever.

There were plenty of older people on that flight with probably more mileage, but they chose me, so what?
It's a different scenario because 'op-ups' tend to be done to fill seats in one cabin to make room in another cabin. This wasn't an op-up, it was a 'courtesy' upgrade.

The decision to make this courtesy not also available to other interested CE pax seems to have had little basis on any real reasons, other than perhaps a psychological preference for the hen party over the OP. But that's something one should avoid in that role. They had the choice between creating a positive impression with additional people or creating some somewhat miffed customers. They chose the latter.

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It's sad in the 21st century that nobody is allowed to make decisions any more without a 'policy'. The end result will be a jobsworth attitude of "it's not worth me trying to do a nice thing any more as I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't". I suspect the flight deck suggested they move after the FD visit and the service wasn't set up or briefed to operate with the F cabin operating plus the CSM probably thought they were doing everyone a favour - giving the hen party run of the F cabin and the J cabin quiet! CSM should have stayed cool but it sounds like they were facing a cross examination and became assertive at that point, as I believe they are trained to when dealing with operational matters. Thing is if you make an exception for Mr Gold you begin a mass exodus which in itself becomes disruptive with people retrieving hand luggage and so on.

Captain and csm will say they weren't upgraded they were given a seat change for operational reasons. They were a hen party and the crew wanted to monitor their alcohol consumption and keep the CW zone quiet to avoid complaints especially as it was a breakfast flight and had some shiny card holders who wanted to take advantage of the flat beds. The customer concerned became aggressive when spoken to.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DreamTrip
I'd give that CSM my Golden Ticket for dealing with your BS.
+1 lol
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I can't help but feel:
- The Captain and CSM had the right to do what they wanted (i.e. the movement of cabin)
- The OP has the right to highlight his experience to Customer Relations, including the conversation with the CSM
- BA / Customer Relations will do what it wants with the information and that may be nothing
- The OP will likely hear little back of substance. Although, in the two instances, over the last 10 years where I have complained about a specific member of staff, I have actually had an indication of outcome. In one instance, I was told that a Menzies member of staff would not support BA again (I had apparently not been the only person who had complained about this individual); and a second time, I was told that a BA cabin crew member was having a discussion with her line manager on the issue I had raised (the CSD had, by the way, been equally dismayed by the behaviour of this individual). In these terrible cases of behaviour, I think it is worth raising it for the record. In the end, its BA's choice who it has representing it.
- The OP can decide whether it affects his loyalty to BA.

i guess it is quite transactional.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
We seem to have missed the point that the OP was travelling as a party of 4. Given the move for the hen party (5/6 passengers) adding another 4 passengers in F would take it up to 10 out of 14 seats. Who then asks to be moved and gets the remaining seats?

Would the situation be different if the OP had been travelling alone? What does your OH think of the situation? If anything like mine she will be mortified and embarrassed by your behaviour and attitude.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's a different scenario because 'op-ups' tend to be done to fill seats in one cabin to make room in another cabin. This wasn't an op-up, it was a 'courtesy' upgrade.

The decision to make this courtesy not also available to other interested CE pax seems to have had little basis on any real reasons, other than perhaps a psychological preference for the hen party over the OP. But that's something one should avoid in that role. They had the choice between creating a positive impression with additional people or creating some somewhat miffed customers. They chose the latter.
I have witnessed several times where people on their honeymoon got an upgrade into CW - there were other empty seats left that remained empty. The upgrade was only extended to the couple.

And as I said, I know plenty of people with contacts (not just the 'gold line' like the OP) who call in advance and get courtesy upgrades. Sometimes, they are already seated in WT+ and the CSM comes over and asks them whether they'd like to sit in CW, despite them not needing that extra seat in WT+.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

My take on this is that if I were in CW and there were a few noisy but happy customers on a Hen Do then after they were moved into F I'd enjoy the peace!

The OP states that he was more annoyed the way the CSM spoke to him and as as always there are two sides to every story. Personally I wouldn't have got involved at all, enjoyed my holiday with the family and good luck to all them lucky ladies!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hen party traveling in CE? What's the world coming to
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Jed
If F cabin is closed, it should stay closed, not become a party zone for crew to 'upgrade' whoever they feel like. That includes the captain (not that I have any concrete information that the captain was actually involved).
With due respect, BA can do what they like with their aircraft.

Based on your other posts I'm not sure what a 'positive' outcome looks like in this situation, what are you expecting to get from your complaint?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Well I am with JED on this one. When the Captain asked the CSM to move the hen party passengers into F, the CSM should have refused and reminded him that:

"Jed is on board Captain and that will not do. You cannot move the hen party when Jed and his wife and 2 children are in J.
"I hadn't realised that we had Jedon board, I take it you mean the Jed?"
"oh yes Captain it is indeed the Jed"
"thank you for saving me from myself. I almost made a career ending error by moving the superficially more deserving young people out to celebrate an approaching wedding, when Jed was on board.
"That's ok Captain, the last thing we want is for Jed to complain to Senor Cruz because as you know old Cruzy has no tolerance for upsetting his loyal customers and we would be selling The Big Issue for the rest of our lives outside Hatton Cross Tube"
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Just red this nice quote:

Two things prevent us from happiness; living in the past and observing others.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.