Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Not quite. "Sour grapes" refers to something you wanted but didn't get and then pretended that you wouldn't have wanted it anyway (because those grapes were sour).

/pedant
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Jed
Yes I am.
There were plenty of seats free up there.

It is against BA policy for the crew to 'upgrade' people just because they feel like it. That annoys me.

The 'captain's decision is final'. Absolutely true where decisions are concerned regarding safety. Doesn't sit well with me in this instance. I don't actually know if the CSM just told me the captain said that to end the matter in the hope that I would just take the 'captain's word' as gospel.

Most airlines don't do this sort of thing
Shhhh if you listen carefully you hear the teddy bear being thrown out the.cot and hitting the wall. Nice tantrum. Best I've seen in a while.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Tinseltown
I have witnessed several times where people on their honeymoon got an upgrade into CW - there were other empty seats left that remained empty. The upgrade was only extended to the couple.

And as I said, I know plenty of people with contacts (not just the 'gold line' like the OP) who call in advance and get courtesy upgrades. Sometimes, they are already seated in WT+ and the CSM comes over and asks them whether they'd like to sit in CW, despite them not needing that extra seat in WT+.
Friends and family members of staff getting 'courtesy upgrades' opens another can of worms.

Personally, I don't judge the nature of the OP's request because it's kind of irrelevant. It's more about a CSM getting argumentative with a customer just to 'protect' some sort of invisible line between 'deserving' hen party members and 'entitled' other pax. Your personal desire to please a 'special party' shouldn't get in the way of trying to appease/please all pax.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is entitled to a full refund of the fare difference between what he paid for and what he got. He should submit a request for that to BA and be done with it. In this case that amounts to Zero.

If OP's goal is to complain about the Captain's exercise of his discretion, he may do that. Such a complaint will fall on deaf ears. BA pays its Captains to make these sorts of monumental life & death decisions.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
Hen party traveling in CE? What's the world coming to
Fortunately they would've had plenty of bread in CE to soak up the booze...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:35 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by quakered
Good old BA staff for giving the Hen Party a bit of a treat on a special occasion - it shows a caring and generous nature that warms the heart.

Perhaps the Hen Party asked to be moved away form the boring old man who was constantly asking to be upgraded in a self important manner that eventually caused the CSM to loose her rag with him and thus spoiling the party mode for the young people in the Club cabin.....

And let us be clear, the Captain is in COMMAND of all aspects of the aircrafts operation.

Could this thread be merged with DYKWIA......

No need to call me old or boring. You haven't a clue how old I am and I bet I'm infinitely more interesting than you are 😀
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Personally, I don't judge the nature of the OP's request because it's kind of irrelevant. It's more about a CSM getting argumentative with a customer just to 'protect' some sort of invisible line between 'deserving' hen party members and 'entitled' other pax. Your personal desire to please a 'special party' shouldn't get in the way of trying to appease/please all pax.
How was the CSM meant to deal with someone like the OP? She could have told him, "Sir, they are celebrating an impending wedding, and hence, we wanted to make today special for them." But that was blatantly obvious, and the OP wouldn't have had it.

So next time I'm in a restaurant and someone else celebrates a birthday, should I also ask for MY free desert/champagne although it's not my birthday? That is just stupid!

Thank God, I haven't come across many ADULTS who went through an 'I-want-what-they-got' tantrum. The CSM couldn't really put him on the naughty step for his tantrum, could she? Although in my opinion, the naughty step is where he should have been put.

Last edited by Tinseltown; Apr 15, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jed
No need to call me old or boring. You haven't a clue how old I am and I bet I'm infinitely more interesting than you are 😀
Maybe it's just how you come across from your posts then.

Quite a while since I can recall posters being quite an united on a particular subject....
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Tinseltown
How is the CSM meant to deal with someone like the OP? Thank God, I haven't come across many ADULTS who went through an 'I-want-what-they-got' tantrum. She couldn't really put him on the naughty step for his tantrum, could he? Although in my opinion, the naughty step is where he should have been put.
Just put him up in F for an hour and a half if he wants to be there so badly. It saves you an argument and time wasted, it makes the guy happy. The psychological resistance to 'giving in' to some 'entitled person' is something you need to drop in customer service and good managers will 'help' you with it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
You seem to disregard your own argument here, as you sau this isn't an op up its a captain or CSM deciding to upgrade a certain group of passengers which if not GCH had the effect of annoying an actual loyal customer. Generally it is considered in business a bad move to annoy a good customer for a unknown customer and this is essentially my point.

if the hen party were GCH thenperfectly fine, if not then it was a move that risks upsetting a good customer. Issue is by opening the cabin to some when not overbooked is as far as I am aware not BA policy and generally I think this is a good policy as it does not run the risk of upsetting good customers. If a flight had enough F seats for all GCH and people on same bookings maybe upgrade otherwise far better to leave the cabin closed.

By telling before boarding a GCH the cabin is closed then during flight upgrading others seems to undermine any sort of idea BA cares about its most frequent fliers. (yes I am aware BA does not care about its most frequent fliers but this is not how they market being a GCH)

QUOTE=nux;28182216]Why? BA does not publish an op-up priority list, and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that BA does not simply op-up based on highest CIV/status, but may actually op-up lower status passengers who may not have travelled in that class before to give them a preview and try to influence their future purchasing behaviour.
In this case it wasn't even really an op-up.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the report on another thread ("Is this really First?"), you didn't miss much.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:58 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by obduro
With due respect, BA can do what they like with their aircraft.

Based on your other posts I'm not sure what a 'positive' outcome looks like in this situation, what are you expecting to get from your complaint?
My issue is mainly with the attitude of the CSM.
Although the majority of replies to this thread have painted my on board attitude to be of a self entitled DYKWIA, you weren't there.
I simply asked if we could be moved too, having clearly witnessed that the F cabin was not closed after all. The reposte I got from the CSM forms my major grievance. I was not at all disruptive as I have more sense than that.
As stated before, my second issue is with staff 'upgrading' whoever they feel like.
And yes, I live life for myself and my family, so will do whatever I can to get the best for us at all times.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
Had booked Club Europe and was told upon enquiry the gold line before the flight, at check in, at the lounge at at the gate that the F cabin was closed off without any passengers.
If I'm reading things right you enquired about access to the F cabin four times before boarding the plane?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
If I was in same situation as OP I would have
- probably asked about moving into F once (90%+ of us would, being honest)
- not been a precious DYKWIA about it when told no
- had a word with the CSM along lines of "wow that passenger is annoying" and put in feedback about how patient they were

I always wonder what sort of person rings up a golf tournament to say they saw a penalty in super slow motion etc., now I know...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Hilarious. How many times did the OP ask to be upgraded? No wonder the CSM lost her rag! They did a nice thing, some people had a good time, the OP sat in a nice seat. The OP could just smile and enjoy some people being made happy if they chose...They lost nothing. I know if I was part of a party and upgraded it'd make my day, and I expect that's what the captain thought, not realising someone would be simmering over it and actually try to get staff reprimanded for nice gesture.

If anyone else was on this flight I genuinely suggest writing to BA in support of the staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.