Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sampled three of the new short/medium offerings all in lunch/dinner flights, two of which would have been a full hot meal before:

- the 'warm cheese and tomato ciabatta' aka the panino, or more accurately, on two of the three flights (including the one where I sampled it myself, half a panino not even cleanly cut!). I really didn't like it. Bland, uninteresting, as remotely distant from premium food offering as can be conceived. Another pulled pork version looked altogether gross to me. Comes with same dessert pot as before (no more cheese and chutney). I will not have that thing again.

- 'salad'. A tiny appetiser at best and in fact on my flight yesterday the crew member commented that her 4 year old would be starving if served that. The version I sampled had a single prawn (bland), two tiny bites of boiled chicken (which tasted fine) and a very mayonnaisey curried salad of sorts which was quite nasty (my neighbour aptly remarked it looked like sick). The other version had the same prawn but the chicken bites are breaded and the salad is tabuleh which looks nicer but just as absurdly tiny. Same dessert pot and bread (proudly described as warm bread, personally I don't give a monkey about its temperature, i don't fly on a paid F ticket which this was to survive on bread, hot or cold). I'd choose that over the panino but be aware that you'll starve, even if you are a 4 year old indeed.

- pre ordered kosher. I couldn't care less about kosher per se but have now figured out for a while that to save more cash, ba have now imposed that silly half tomato with three slivers of mozzarella as their universal special meal including kids. My calculation is that only Indian and kosher would need to be different. This was much much smaller than the previous kosher meal in my memory, but still much nicer in my view than the regular stuff for medium. It was a thick piece of a cured salmon fillet on a small bed of salad with a side of pesto and lemon mayo. It comes with individual challah bread (cold! ) not remotely the best challah but still much larger and much nicer than the regular bread as well as a large (but not good) chocolate mousse. Whilst still insufficient, I rated this much higher than the regular meals (of course you have to like raw cured fish).

the verdict is very easy and I've now pre-ordered kosher for my next medium flight (brunch time not sure if it differs, I suspect not) next week. I heard multiple people complaining about the new offering, notably route regulars (NCE, GVA, which are both high yield), some filling the iPad complaint, others encouraged by crew to tweet. Crew on two flights admitted to be embarrassed by the offering (one mention crew are 'quite unhappy at the moment' more generally). One friend had the new medium afternoon tea and mentioned two finger sandwiches and a tiny cake. She called the offering 'insulting'. I hope complaints from those on medium and former band 2 flights will multiply: the loss, especially on medium flights, is nothing short of spectacular despite improved presentation for the salad and the special meals (both generic and kosher).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Silver, Oman Air Silver, Hilton Silver, Amex Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

- pre ordered kosher. I couldn't care less about kosher per se but have now figured out for a while that to save more cash, ba have now imposed that silly half tomato with three slivers of mozzarella as their universal special meal including kids. My calculation is that only Indian and kosher would need to be different. This was much much smaller than the previous kosher meal in my memory, but still much nicer in my view than the regular stuff for medium. It was a thick piece of a cured salmon fillet on a small bed of salad with a side of pesto and lemon mayo. It comes with individual challah bread (cold! ) not remotely the best challah but still much larger and much nicer than the regular bread as well as a large (but not good) chocolate mousse. Whilst still insufficient, I rated this much higher than the regular meals (of course you have to like raw cured fish).
All the convincing I need, I'll be getting the Kosher meal for the next group of DUB and AMS flights I have coming up

Out of interest, since I really have no idea, why would kosher and Indian meals be the two that would have to differ from that mozzarella and tomato plate? I may be totally clueless of something obvious, but hey, it's an opportunity to learn!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JetSetC
All the convincing I need, I'll be getting the Kosher meal for the next group of DUB and AMS flights I have coming up

Out of interest, since I really have no idea, why would kosher and Indian meals be the two that would have to differ from that mozzarella and tomato plate? I may be totally clueless of something obvious, but hey, it's an opportunity to learn!
indian just because of food culture promise: the description refers to Indian tastes and spices so tomato mozzarella won't do it!

kosher because of religious requirements which are extremely strict: not only do the ingredients need to be kosher (which implies not only excluding some but also meat animals being raised and killed in a way that does not make them suffer etc, and not fed animal feed as that could be non kosher) but also prepared in kosher kitchens with separate ustensiles, fridges, and crockery for meat and dairy products etc. In practice this can only be achieved by contracting separate kosher caterers (in ba's case Hermiolis).

let us know what you think when you've tried that meal too, I personally found it really better than the standard offering, and I would have never ordered a kosher meal for lunch/dinner ce flights myself before.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Be warned if you are travelling from next week and for the subsequent 10 days: The kosher meals will be special Passover ones, which will not have any bread and may be less good than usual!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am lamenting the loss of fruit plate from the Long breakfast.

I had the vegetarian main option which was very nice, but I really would have preferred it if they kept the fruit plate. They could offer a choice between a fruit plate and a yoghurt/muesli if they need to only have one or the other.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
Be warned if you are travelling from next week and for the subsequent 10 days: The kosher meals will be special Passover ones, which will not have any bread and may be less good than usual!
Very good point about Passover, it will be matzoh instead of bread. I wouldn't assume it will be less good though, in fact some Passover food can be really lovely if they manage to fit some in!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
- the 'warm cheese and tomato ciabatta' aka the panino, or more accurately, on two of the three flights (including the one where I sampled it myself, half a panino not even cleanly cut!).
I seem to recall up the thread that someone mentioned hearing the crew count the numbers in CE... is it possible that the crew are cutting the sandwich in an attempt to ensure that there are enough meals to go around? Offering the second half when they know all have been served?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frenzie01
If you fly with BA from MAD to LHR under the new catering service, you will receive a hot panini.

I flew today with Iberia on the same route.
See images of catering.

Note that I flew on their new A330 long haul business cabin, but short haul meal service was provided.

Notes on the service:

*Menu cards provided.
*Seat A1 was served last. The order was backwards.
*No hot towels, pre packed cold ones instead.
*No champagne, Cava instead - it was not great.
*Food was excellent.
*Coffee served on a separate small tray with chocolate on the side.
*Freshly squeezed orange juice, not the cheap stuff.
*Gin served from full size bottles.
Just wondering: is the espresso machine in use on this flight? Did you ask?
IIRC IB use Bombay on SH and 50 Pounds on LH.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Hi Guys,

After reading through the various posts and useful pics, does anyone know what the new 'long' meal will be for CE to DLM (Dalaman) from Gatwick. It is a 14:25 departure.

Trying to decide whether its worth ordering a special meal if the 'normal meal' is terrible.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Silver, Oman Air Silver, Hilton Silver, Amex Gold
let us know what you think when you've tried that meal too, I personally found it really better than the standard offering, and I would have never ordered a kosher meal for lunch/dinner ce flights myself before.
I certainly will! I quite enjoyed the old AMS CE meal of salmon skewers with couscous, this sounds close enough to what I was used to. Also a chance to learn a bit about how passover meals are too.

I've no idea about how alcohol consumption customs are around passover... Hoping I don't get odd looks when I get a champagne on the side!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by JetSetC
I certainly will! I quite enjoyed the old AMS CE meal of salmon skewers with couscous, this sounds close enough to what I was used to. Also a chance to learn a bit about how passover meals are too.

I've no idea about how alcohol consumption customs are around passover... Hoping I don't get odd looks when I get a champagne on the side!
well, for the Passover Seder, you have to drink wine several times, though somehow red wine seems more usual than champagne!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by dood125
Hi Guys,

After reading through the various posts and useful pics, does anyone know what the new 'long' meal will be for CE to DLM (Dalaman) from Gatwick. It is a 14:25 departure.

Trying to decide whether its worth ordering a special meal if the 'normal meal' is terrible.

Thanks!
the normal meals on long seem quite nice so I wouldn't order a spml myself.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jh321
I seem to recall up the thread that someone mentioned hearing the crew count the numbers in CE... is it possible that the crew are cutting the sandwich in an attempt to ensure that there are enough meals to go around? Offering the second half when they know all have been served?
I must say I'd be very surprised. Crew certainly didn't mention anything of the sort
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
the normal meals on long seem quite nice so I wouldn't order a spml myself.
Do you know where i can find any specific examples?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dood125
Do you know where i can find any specific examples?

Thanks!
Yes, there are examples in this thread. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28105900-post468.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28103474-post443.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28102061-post427.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28093596-post345.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.