Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bafan
What feedback on the small bottles ? What's the difference ? Does the Castlenau taste any better from larger than small bottles ?
No idea, but before this change you would have thought with FT comments that smaller bottles were blasphemy in wine and champagne. Now, BA has introduced the 'better' bottles, BA is just cost cutting and they should give us our small bottles back. That is the point.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:11 am

What feedback on the small bottles ? What's the difference ? Does the Castlenau taste any better from larger than small bottles ?
Its colder and fresher from a small bottle that's the only difference I've ever noticed (as it the bubbles tend to be there whereas with a bottle that could in theory have been open for two hours, the bubbles are likely to be reduced). That said I haven't tried the new offering on BA but have traveled upper on Virgin at they use large bottles. About an hour in unless there have been a lot of people drinking the fizz it tends to be a lot less bubbly and I personally don't like it.

With the wine its the temperature that worries me most. I like the small bottles (never complained about them personally on here) as it means 1. if I don't like the wine I haven't got an entire glass to drink to get an empty glass and 2. its a lot colder. Asking for ice for white wine seems very weird to me but I find that on other airlines (Virgin) the white wine is a little too warm and on BA it always seems to be the right temperature. That's just my personal preference though and for red I wouldn't see a problem and could probably argue other way as I like red to have rested a little before drinking - see I'm just too complex with drink.

Originally Posted by stewaran
Yes, Child 1 has taken sitting with me at the back as a sure sign she is the least favorite
Oh trust me as a child who had this happen (I was child 2 though ) my sister still tells my Mum about how mean she was and my sister is now 40! It is a running joke whenever we fly together that I even got preferential treatment as a child.

Last edited by gismo1554; Mar 31, 2017 at 6:22 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Boten
So you think BA should be serving champagne from Magnums?

The change to larger bottles could lead to higher wastage so not sure it is definitely a cost cutting thing. I really think that this is a true case of 'BA listened' to the feedback on the small bottles.

PUCCI GALORE is right that everyone complained about small bottles before and now people are complaining that they are receiving standard size bottles.
I meant that they could serve something better and still save money
compared to handing out the small bottles, part of the saving is that
people can't take anything with them "for later" .
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:44 am

So I had emailed customer service to complain about this change earlier in the week.

They called me back today to say they had checked the website and there had been no changes. I explained that there had and then she said "oh hang on I'll go check with colleagues". She then came back and said they had had a similar conversation yesterday and it appears it has changed (no really!!!) but there was absolutely nothing that could be done as the catering onboard is offered free of charge and therefore is not guaranteed! Well no but when you book a flight that says "hot meal" you expect it to give you some sort of "hot meal" not a sandwich! Also could not offer me anything to help pay for additional expenses for having to rearrange travel etc. She claims there is nothing they can do but note my dissatisfaction (which I thought I had done when I emailed but apparently not).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:06 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The picture of that LHR-MAD flight are really disappointing. I would be peeved to be served this. As I had booked a CE flight on this route (well MAD-LHR) specifically as I need to work around meal time, this will not do. So the booking is cancelled and I am now off with Iberia.

The thread so far left me really with a sour taste: Band 4 and some ex-Band 3 are winner, no argument. However the remaining are loser. The new brunch does not look better at all to me, only smaller. I guess some might think something as a firmer half-tomato counts for a net positive, it seems to me to be just a continuation of the current direction.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Really enjoyed the food in CE on the krk-lhr today. Melon and prawn starter with a choice of chicken supreme or cod. I had the chicken. Menu then said chocolate dessert or cheese but try was served with both. Then a mug of coffee that stayed warm.

Thought it was all good

​​​​​​​Roll on my first domestic CE on sunday
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
The disgusting dry but wet and soggy cheese, pesto and tomato mess I was served on a PSA-LHR was a joke. They sell an M&S of superior quality in economy for £4.95. And to be given a roll with your bread... how is this premium anything. I for one will go back to burning through my avios flying ET exit row. €200 extra I paid for Club over ET and that is all you get.

The crew accidentally only gave every customer half of the "ciabatta" too because it was her first day with the new catering. Later in the flight when she realised her mistake she came round to offer the other half. Every single person refused it and she asked if she could send feedback on my behalf to the new caterers.

Its not even worth complaining anymore. Club is only worth it now with the longer flights and reward flight saver.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:38 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Being given a bread roll to accompany a panini is a farce. Regretting booking CE for an upcoming trip to LUX, but looks like ARN has benefitted from the new catering changes. MAD is worse off too, but at least I'm on the 777 for that so will eat in the lounge and try and nap!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Picture of this morning's flight from LGW to NHB. This is just off Prospero's map in post 1, but it's currently a Long.

So breakfast on today's flight to Sans Serriffe is an artisan cream cracker and a generous slice of an egg. I detect it may be a free range egg, and the cracker certainly looks shinier than those down my local Iceland.

Regrettably the return flight from National Hero Antonio Bourgeois International Airport to LGW will have no catering: the ground staff all come from the next door island of Shakur Buty and Cde. Antonio Bourgeois has ordered their expulsion, after that unfortunate 2-4-1 downgrade incident affecting his third favourite wife. Of course we can all speculate it actually was the fault of FLY trying to process a negative CIV, but in the meantime all return operations are strictly self-catering. Fortunately NHB has waived conformance, however I suspect priority boarding will be awkward. Best leave Bodoni in good time, before midday, just in case.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I don't know. I tend to wait until I've tasted them before dismissing it. When I have tasted it I'll tell you. Unfortunately over the years I've noticed that people seem to think that only the expensive houses will do. Having grown up in the Champagne area, I tend to buy from small producers and am rarely disappointed.

It's all a matter of taste. One likes one thing another doesn't.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Picture of this morning's flight from LGW to NHB. This is just off Prospero's map in post 1, but it's currently a Long.

So breakfast on today's flight to Sans Serriffe is an artisan cream cracker and a generous slice of an egg. I detect it may be a free range egg, and the cracker certainly looks shinier than those down my local Iceland.

Regrettably the return flight from National Hero Antonio Bourgeois International Airport to LGW will have no catering: the ground staff all come from the next door island of Shakur Buty and Cde. Antonio Bourgeois has ordered their expulsion, after that unfortunate 2-4-1 downgrade incident affecting his third favourite wife. Of course we can all speculate it actually was the fault of FLY trying to process a negative CIV, but in the meantime all return operations are strictly self-catering. Fortunately NHB has waived conformance, however I suspect priority boarding will be awkward. Best leave Bodoni in good time, before midday, just in case.
Oh dear.......
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I don't know. I tend to wait until I've tasted them before dismissing it. When I have tasted it I'll tell you. Unfortunately over the years I've noticed that people seem to think that only the expensive houses will do. Having grown up in the Champagne area, I tend to buy from small producers and am rarely disappointed.

It's all a matter of taste. One likes one thing another doesn't.
Quite right. Champagne production is a bit different to other French wines. For a start, it is pretty much the only region that relies on branding to sell a product. The brands own relatively few vineyards, instead they buy in most of their stock from private growers.

Monsieur Groweur Privee and his neighbours are sitting on a Grand oor Premier Cru vineyard. They decide that they will produce their own Champagne which will be superior to one of the big brand NV offerings. And cheaper.

The irony is that if BA were to start serving this instead of a brand there would be outrage
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I did think that this forum had finally driven C-W-S to start drinking....but them I remembered what day it is!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Happy Saturday CWS!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:02 am

The good old days:

Club Europe
Spirits
Bacardi Carta Blanca, Baileys, Campari, Camus VSOP Cognac, Cointreau, Dow’s Midnight Ruby Port, Glenlivet 15 Year Old Malt Whisky, Gordon’s Gin, Drambuie, Jack Daniel’s American Whiskey, Johnnie Walker Black Label, Martini Dry, Smirnoff Vodka Blue, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria, and Tio Pepe
Short haul catering guide

What's left now?
Someone mentioned this below to MLA, but is that really everything?
Have they really removed things like Baileys?
Tanqueray, Gordon's, Johnnie Walker Black, Jack Daniels, Smirnoff Blue and Red

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.