Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Are there any other Platinum credit card holders reading this thread who were moved off the £30 fee onto the £150 fee back in 2011?
Not me. £30 since I got the BAPP in 2001.

Rang today to downgrade my BAPP to the regular BA card. Told by the cherry CSA that the reason Amex have ended the discount was due to a ruling from the FSA (presumably he meant the FCA). No idea if there is any truth in that, but interesting nonetheless.

Onto an Amex Gold for me. Last had one 2 years ago so I will get 20k MR and saved £120 on my summer holiday car rental last night. Cheaper rate from Hertz than I had via Auto Europe plus the a free 2nd driver came to a save of £120 which would justify keeping the card next year when I have to pay an annual fee.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:02 am

How long do the Hilton cashback offers take to post?

Last time it was almost instant.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Just to clarify - I had a Plat from around 2012/13 - There was no benefit in relation to the Plat for me, right? i.e. I should have been paying the £150 for each year I had it?

Not paying it anymore, it's just not worth the cost to get the voucher when you can buy ex-EU (or even ex-UK - see recent AA MAN-SAT flights for £1k) fares for not a lot more than the taxes and fees on a redemption with BA and use the miles saved (and earned) to pay for hotels.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Still no letter from Amex, which leads me to believe that, at least for those for whom the full benefit was grandfathered, it will continue to attract no additional annual fee.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:41 am

Very useful post Globaliser. My posts above should be read in the light of this post. It appears that Amex wrote to some cardholders stating that there would be change in their terms and conditions in 2011 (and I commented on it at the time . It's not clear what it was, or why it didn't apply to everyone, or why Amex is now writing to everyone on the basis that only Plat/Cent get the £0 reduction.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I have dug out some discussion in 2011 of the letters which were then sent changing the T&Cs (of selected cardholders, it seems) to remove the fee reduction for holding certain other Amex cards. I found it in two separate threads:-

From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html:-
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-sign-up.html:-
Are there any other Platinum credit card holders reading this thread who were moved off the £30 fee onto the £150 fee back in 2011?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
It's too late for me - I rang them up and said they could take their £195 charge and....... downgraded to the fee-free card.

However, what I couldn't find was the definition of a "Companion Card". However, these terms and conditions seem to indicate that it is ANY AmEx non-corporate card, not just charge cards - "Any other non-corporate AMEX Card held by a Cardmember."

Clearly they can change the rules, but I think they are just making it up as they go along. In the current terms it doesn't get mentioned at all, but I guess the fee-free option isn't available to newer Platinum Charge Card holders.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:22 am
pfd

So I phoned today to downgrade to a Blue card and was told that the letter was a mistake, there would be another letter issued and that the £195 fee would not be applied. Anyone else being told the same?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by pfd
So I phoned today to downgrade to a Blue card and was told that the letter was a mistake, there would be another letter issued and that the £195 fee would not be applied. Anyone else being told the same?
Email response I got today in regards to my query about this :

I have received an update from our Back Office, they have confirmed that the letter was sent in error. A correction letter will be sent during March, 2017 to mention that the previous letter was sent in error and a confirmation that there will not be any changes on your account.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Mmmm, I've had a Platinum and Gold card and always had to pay the fee...

I recon the "mistake" was due to the huge amount of people downgrading or cancelling. Probably cancelling, it must be better to make a % on peoples spend than nothing at all.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mdj1
Mmmm, I've had a Platinum and Gold card and always had to pay the fee...
What type and since when? Those details are important.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
How would I find that out? Probably about 8 to 10 years ago.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mdj1
How would I find that out? Probably about 8 to 10 years ago.
Then you would not have been grandfathered in at the zero cost. I believe you either had to have held an appropriate companion card at the time the BAPP was introduced (2001) or within a few years after. New grandfathering stopped in 2005 I believe.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA, BMI, IC
It was all a mistake...

Letter today from Amex saying all a mistake and letter raising charges shouldn't have been sent

I've always paid reduced fee due to holding a companion blue, then red, credit card.

Also credited 10,000 avios in recognition of poor customer service/complaint handling (particularly guff information on original phone call, failure to follow up call as promised, failure to answer specific queries in e-mail response to my gentle nudge afterwards).

So, if anything, certainly proves it's worth persevering...
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I received the letter, never called and waited for the fee to be charged. A few days ago I was charged £30 for the new year. Not sure if I was incorrectly targetted or if they backpedalled on this but nothing happened in the end.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I received the letter, never called and waited for the fee to be charged. A few days ago I was charged £30 for the new year. Not sure if I was incorrectly targetted or if they backpedalled on this but nothing happened in the end.
The letter states a policy change from 16th March (unless yours was different). So I'm afraid your experience is not informative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.