Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:05 am

See this 2004 post for the terms and conditions at that time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3301315-post9.html I notice you were posting in those days too pauldb

And another version here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7225432-post1406.html
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
See this 2004 post for the terms and conditions at that time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3301315-post9.html I notice you were posting in those days too pauldb
Got a bit more info from my dad... His green card T&Cs were changed in March, but he did not look through them properly. Now he has a letter specifically saying that charge will now be £150 for his card, from £30... I have asked him to find out if T&C change in March changed the right section or not!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
Hopefully my BA PP will remain free (due to Amex Plat) and not £150!
Do you get the BA PP free, because you have an Amex Plat?
Is this common??
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by londonLHR
Do you get the BA PP free, because you have an Amex Plat?
Is this common??
Only for legacy holders
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Got a bit more info from my dad... His green card T&Cs were changed in March, but he did not look through them properly. Now he has a letter specifically saying that charge will now be £150 for his card, from £30... I have asked him to find out if T&C change in March changed the right section or not!
It is nothing to do with the Green card t&cs. It is part of the Premium Plus t&cs. What exactly does the letter say? Does it say that the PP t&cs are changing?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Only for legacy holders
How do you mean - legacy (as in already held) Plat or Ba PP first?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
'Legacy' means anyone who held the Plat in 2007, or whenever it was they changed the rule.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Amex - Platinum Charge - cancellation ?

I have an Amex Platinum charge card - upon which I spent the required £1.500 and have received the 42,000 MR.

The MR are sitting in my MR account awaiting the next bonus before I transfer them to either BA or BD.

As I will no longer use the Amex Plat Charge, I am looking to close the account.

I do have an Amex BA P P credit card which is constantly active.

My question is - if I close the Plat Charge account will they claim back the MR points in my account ? ( I know I have earned them by satisfying the spend criteria - I am just concerned that them remaining there they look too easy to snaffle back )

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
I have an Amex Platinum charge card - upon which I spent the required £1.500 and have received the 42,000 MR.

The MR are sitting in my MR account awaiting the next bonus before I transfer them to either BA or BD.

As I will no longer use the Amex Plat Charge, I am looking to close the account.

I do have an Amex BA P P credit card which is constantly active.

My question is - if I close the Plat Charge account will they claim back the MR points in my account ? ( I know I have earned them by satisfying the spend criteria - I am just concerned that them remaining there they look too easy to snaffle back )

Thanks

The Membership rewards should stay alive for six months following the closure of an earning card, given that offers would probably only be sent to card holders and there is no guarantee of a forth coming offer, apart from the refund of the fee I can't see the upside to your plan - you might want to close then open the gold amex in a couple of months
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: MUCCI
The real problem you face is that you don't appear to have another "Membership Rewards" points earning card. Therefore, even though they may give you an 'x weeks' to take out another card grace period, unless you do have another card earning MR, they will then close your membership rewards account - and I don't think you can rely upon a BA transfer promo in thouse couple of weeks!

If you are happy to have paid the card fee for 1 year as part of the deal, with no guarantee you would get a prorated refund, I'd just sit tight and cancel before renewal - if you will not make use of the card or its ongoing perks.

- Whatever the prorated refund you get, any BA transfer promo in the year will more than make up for it I'd expect! [Although do remember no promo can be guaranteed to appear!]

EDIT: E14 26C beat me to it. And it appears 6 months not weeks. But still, I agree - I can see limited upside for possible huge downside. Unless going for the gold card, etc.

Last edited by David-A; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:29 am
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
It is nothing to do with the Green card t&cs. It is part of the Premium Plus t&cs. What exactly does the letter say? Does it say that the PP t&cs are changing?
Hi DV,

I have the BA AMEX PP card and I got the same letter (just posted a Q on the AMEX thread) that the terms of the BA AMEX PP are indeed changing and holding another AMEX will no longer entitle the holder to a fee reduction from £150 to £30 per annum.

The T&C's change is from September 1st 2011 and AMEX will refund pro-rata the £30 reduced fee paid until the end of your membership year and charge pro-rata the £150 instead

So it seems to be being rushed in with indecent haste!

Last edited by Baracus; Jun 24, 2011 at 4:04 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amex has quietly improved the referral deal for this promotion.

Holders of the Preferred Gold card are now also able to refer people for the Platinum card, and thus earn the 22,000 point bonus.

You can confirm this here: http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/mg....shtml?page=CM and I have updated the text in the first post to reflect this.

So ... if you hold a Preferred Gold card and want adding to the list of potential referrers in the first post, please send me a PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:12 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baracus
Hi DV,

I have the BA AMEX PP card and I got the same letter (just posted a Q on the AMEX thread) that the terms of the BA AMEX PP are indeed changing and holding another AMEX will no longer entitle the holder to a fee reduction from £150 to £30 per annum.

The T&C's change is from September 1st 2011 and AMEX will refund pro-rata the £30 reduced fee paid until the end of your membership year and charge pro-rata the £150 instead

Forgive the laziness .... you may simply know the answer to the question and save me researching!

Some Plat Card holders have a free BA Amex PP. Does this stop as well?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not clear. 2 people have now reported being told their £30 is going to £150. No-one has yet been told their £0 is going to £150.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Baracus
Hi DV,

Oh dear! That sounds like bad news. And it does seem like indecent haste. It might be worth checking your terms and conditions - do they permit Amex to vary the annual fee upwards when you have already paid it? I'm not sure they do, but haven't checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.