Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
So has anyone holding the Plat card since then paying £0, or Gold/Green paying £30, which no charge card switching, got the letter?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by pauldb
So has anyone holding the Plat card since then paying £0, or Gold/Green paying £30, which no charge card switching, got the letter?
No letter for me, have held the same Plat since 1999 (according to the date on the front).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Raffles
No letter for me, have held the same Plat since 1999 (according to the date on the front).
And paid > £6k for the privilege

I always dread the renewal... But then pay anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:01 am

I've received the same letter as the OP. Plat charge card since 06 with the grandfathererd benefit of fee-free BA PP credit card. Spoke to Amex last night who confirmed this is basically the withdrawal of a benefit. I still hold my plat charge card.

Just curious: how much notice are Amex required to give of a variation to their Ts&Cs? Nothwithstanding what the anniversary date may be for a particular BA PP card account (mine happnes to be June) it appears from the letter that the effective date for the change is 16th March 2017.

Is that sufficient notice?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eddybarzoon
I've received the same letter as the OP. Plat charge card since 06 with the grandfathererd benefit of fee-free BA PP credit card. Spoke to Amex last night who confirmed this is basically the withdrawal of a benefit. I still hold my plat charge card.
Oh well, assuming I get the same letter, that will be my final link with BA/Avios removed. Apart from FT of course
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I received the same letter yesterday.

My BA AmEx statement says:
"A reduced annual card membership fee of £30 is payable for so long as you hold an Amex companion card. Otherwise, an annual fee of £150 will become payable."

So I guess it comes down to what an AmEx companion card is - I've got:
  • Gold Credit Card
  • Platinum Cashback Credit Card

These are both free, so they may be saying that you need a charge card. If so, then I'll simply cancel it. My wife and I each have a primary BA AmEx account, and we sometimes end up using the companion ticket for a domestic trip (although we do sometimes use it to fly F to the US or South Africa!). However, we can plan our vouchers so that we have 2 every other year and the four of us can go on a nice long-haul trip. I also am going to lose Hilton status in March, so may spend £10K on the BA AmEx and then £10K on the Hilton card....
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eddybarzoon
Just curious: how much notice are Amex required to give of a variation to their Ts&Cs? Nothwithstanding what the anniversary date may be for a particular BA PP card account (mine happnes to be June) it appears from the letter that the effective date for the change is 16th March 2017.

Is that sufficient notice?
Note it's your renewal date after March 16th that counts. Mine is mid-June. I wondered about the notice thing, as I know if a CC company puts interest rates up and you're carrying a balance, you can reject this. You can no longer use the card, but they have to leave you on the original rate.

I presume the equivalent here is that they drop you down to a standard card. Any accrued vouchers remain valid, but you can no longer accumulate on the old basis.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And paid > £6k for the privilege

I always dread the renewal... But then pay anyway.
Indeed. Would be trickier to justify the fee without the £195 'saving' from the BAPP.

On the other hand, cancelling is a bit like selling Gareth Bale and then using the money to buy five **** players instead :-)

Anyway, not sure I want the bother of separately organising travel insurance for a family of 4, car hire insurance, lounge access for my wife when travelling for work on Y tickets, Eurostar lounge access (can't buy that anyway) etc .... and obviously I'd miss all those amazing Platinum events .

I now use my Platinum Amex exclusively for Head for Points-related transactions and write off the £450 as a business expense which effectively gives me a 40% discount anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:56 am

I've had the same letter too.

Platinum Charge and BA Premium Plus Amex holder since 2004.

Just spoke to Amex in Brighton - tell me it's a mistake, will send my details to marketing to rectify and gave me 500 Avios for my trouble.

We'll see what happens.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Indeed. Would be trickier to justify the fee without the £195 'saving' from the BAPP.

On the other hand, cancelling is a bit like selling Gareth Bale and then using the money to buy five **** players instead :-)

Anyway, not sure I want the bother of separately organising travel insurance for a family of 4, car hire insurance, lounge access for my wife when travelling for work on Y tickets, Eurostar lounge access (can't buy that anyway) etc .... and obviously I'd miss all those amazing Platinum events .

I now use my Platinum Amex exclusively for Head for Points-related transactions and write off the £450 as a business expense which effectively gives me a 40% discount anyway.
If I do end up losing the fee free BA Amex it will make a difference for me:

It would then make sense for me to ditch the personal platinum charge and replace it with the business platinum charge via my Ltd company which still has the original unconditional insurance product - then saving me 40% tax as you suggest above.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grgraham
If I do end up losing the fee free BA Amex it will make a difference for me:

It would then make sense for me to ditch the personal platinum charge and replace it with the business platinum charge via my Ltd company which still has the original unconditional insurance product - then saving me 40% tax as you suggest above.
The business Plat doesn't allow guesting on the Priority Pass (definite) neither does it allow Eurostar lounge access (IIRC). The hotel status card list is not identical either IIRC.

In theory you could recharge the personal card fee to the Ltd, you'd just need to account for it properly.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by grgraham
I've had the same letter too.

Platinum Charge and BA Premium Plus Amex holder since 2004.

Just spoke to Amex in Brighton - tell me it's a mistake, will send my details to marketing to rectify and gave me 500 Avios for my trouble.

We'll see what happens.
I've just made my call, with all my old card details / T&Cs gathered up for an argument, and was straight-off told the same: that the letter was sent to me in error. No 500 Avios though, but I'd rather have the reduction!

(Currently hold an Amex Plat charge too, but not continuously/historically.)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Member

I've just made my call, with all my old card details / T&Cs gathered up for an argument, and was straight-off told the same: that the letter was sent to me in error. No 500 Avios though, but I'd rather have the reduction!

(Currently hold an Amex Plat charge too, but not continuously/historically.)
thats interesting, I wonder if they have changed their mind or made a mistake. You couldn't by chance message me the old terms and conditions? I logged a complaint with them last night over this and was promised a call back. I've held the platinum since 98 and the BAPP from early 2000s.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Tim_T
thats interesting, I wonder if they have changed their mind or made a mistake. You couldn't by chance message me the old terms and conditions? I logged a complaint with them last night over this and was promised a call back. I've held the platinum since 98 and the BAPP from early 2000s.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I have held a BAPP Card since it was launched, paying £0 p.a. as a (then) Platinum charge card holder. Indeed, I got the recent 15,000 bonus Avios.

When AmEx famously changed its T+Cs the effect of which was to exclude me from various benefits, I cancelled the card. I have since used the PRG gold account at different times. Indeed, the £140 subscription has been taken this week. The BAPP sub has remained at £0 p.a until now.

The letter arrived yesterday. The AmEx person I spoke to seemed less aware than some of the others mentioned here.

AFAIK, the BAPP fee waiver was only ever applied to holders of certain companion CHARGE cards. Mention of companion CREDIT cards seems to have been lucky. Qualifying companion CHARGE cards were listed in the T+Cs. I recycled the T+Cs but cannot find a copy online.

I was already contemplating discarding the PRG. On its own, it's not cost effective but with a BAPP fee waiver, I could justify it. One thing's for sure. I will not be paying £140 + £195 next year.

Originally Posted by Tim_T
Hold the platinum charge card. Just got off the phone. Told that the companion card has to be the gold or green charge card ???!!!
Not according to the AmEx person I spoke to yesterday who told me my gold charge card didn't qualify.

Same letter for me today, despite last year's exemption. Again the suggestion I no longer hold the companion card is bogus as the £30 fee (rather than £0) was specifically because I held a credit card, and I've had the Plat credit card since then like the OP.
I think you were lucky to get the waiver with a companion credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.