Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Ditto. Hold the platinum charge card. Just got off the phone. Told that the companion card has to be the gold or green charge card ???!!!
That would make no sense at all. Bizarre.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Member

I don't disagree
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended

Ditto. Hold the platinum charge card. Just got off the phone. Told that the companion card has to be the gold or green charge card ???!!!
To be clear, are you saying that in your conversation with Amex they confirmed that those members holding aa companion charge card, who had the annual fee waived, will now be paying it?

That seems to contradict information just received in late-December.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
My most recent correspondence in this matter was from July 2016 in which Amex wrote to me:

"To make sure we can continue to offer the existing range of rewards and benefits linked to your Card, we are increasing the membership fee from £150 to £195 per year. Please note that this fee only becomes payable if you no longer hold an applicable Companion Charge Card alongside your British Airways Card."

My most recent statement includes the following wording:

"Fees > No annual cardmembership fee is payable for so long as you hold an Amex companion card. Otherwise an annual fee of £195 will become payable."
Nothing in the post today, but I guess we'll see.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Same letter for me today, despite last year's exemption. Again the suggestion I no longer hold the companion card is bogus as the £30 fee (rather than £0) was specifically because I held a credit card, and I've had the Plat credit card since then like the OP.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be clear, are you saying that in your conversation with Amex they confirmed that those members holding aa companion charge card, who had the annual fee waived, will now be paying it?

That seems to contradict information just received in late-December.

Nothing in the post today, but I guess we'll see.
sort of, if you hold the platinum charge card then this is not apparently a companion card and no longer eligible for the reduced or zero fee, but the gold or green charge card is.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:35 am
Suspended

Are you sure you didn't speak to the work experience boy?

This is particularly irritating as I today applied for a EUR Platinum as well.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:40 pm

Could someone explain to me this talk of no fees when you have a charge card please?

I have the gold, would probably get platinum if it meant no fees on BAPP
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:47 pm

I got this letter too. Spoke to CS and they said it was because I cancelled my Gold card (about 6 months ago). I've been churning the Gold card for a few years now without it impacting my BAPP fee. I've held the Platinum Cashback card for 20 years, which I always believed was my 'companion card'. They seem to think the code was applied by mistake and they've caught up on this now, stating as others have here that it has to be a Charge card. This is not in the T&Cs as far as I can tell. Rather confusingly they suggested that if I still had the gold card then I would have remained on the reduced fee?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyer200
Could someone explain to me this talk of no fees when you have a charge card please?

I have the gold, would probably get platinum if it meant no fees on BAPP
It was a very old benefit. You won't get it now. If you had it previously, you were "grandfathered", so you still got it for free.

I got my AMEX Plat in around 2005, and have always got the BAPP for free.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:41 pm

Were you paying the £30 fee or £0. I managed to find my original t&cs and it's clear that only the Platinum or Centurion card get you the £0 fee. All other cards make it £30.

Turns out my recollection was a bit off. My companion card was an Amex Blue. This was replaced with a Platinum cash back credit card some time after 2010. So technically I no longer hold the companion card but only because Amex unilaterally upgraded me. I wonder if this happened to the OP too, as thinking about it now I don't think the Plat credit version existed much before 2010.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Amex Plat (UK)
FWIW, I've had a Platinum charge card for about a year and just recently opened the BAPP, and was charged £195.

I wasn't even aware of a potential fee reduction, and nothing in the T&C (which I admittedly skimmed) seemed to reference it.

So, confirmed I guess?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
[Double post]
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I got this in today's post, too.

Gave AMEX a call to discuss. The problem I have is that BA's availability is so flaky and the TFCs so high on long haul, that I'm not going to pay £195 for the voucher.

Very helpful agent explained that the fee wouldn't be levied until a few months time and confirmed I could drop down to the free card, and keep the two vouchers I have.

I suggested we just switch over to the free card now, to which he responded by saying he would offer me an extra Avios per £ spent for the next three months, then I could call back to switch over.

Strangely, I though I was getting the discount off the back of my old Amex Platinum credit card that gives Membership rewards. He thinks it was off a charge card that I cancelled back in 2011. Oops....

The letter says the subscription fee can no longer be waived as I no longer have a companion card. However, I have always held either an AmEx Platinum or Amex Gold card since first getting the BA AmEx card in 2004.

When I called, they said these are no longer deemed "companion cards" but offered (when I asked what would justify the additional fee of £195) 3-month increase in the base earning rate from 1.5 to 2.5 Avios per £ spent and a drop to the subscription-free "Classic" card that earns 1 Avios per £1 spent. NB: If this doesn't appeal, beware dropping BA Amex card(s) altogether, since BA will cancel any 2-for-1 vouchers where no BA Amex card is held.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by thefuzzylogic
FWIW, I've had a Platinum charge card for about a year and just recently opened the BAPP, and was charged £195.

I wasn't even aware of a potential fee reduction, and nothing in the T&C (which I admittedly skimmed) seemed to reference it.

So, confirmed I guess?
No. The reduction hasn't been given to new cardholders in at least 5 years, maybe 10, and hasn't therefore been in the t&cs. But it has been grandfathered to older cardholders since then. So your experience is consistent, not telling.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by vscxfan
The letter says the subscription fee can no longer be waived as I no longer have a companion card. However, I have always held either an AmEx Platinum or Amex Gold card since first getting the BA AmEx card in 2004.
Presuming your pay zero fee? Going back to the original fee structure, the Plat card gets you £0 but the Gold only £30. Technically I can see that if you switched Plat to Gold, after the structure changed, you now longer held the Companion Card for your £0 grandfathering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.