Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:33 am

Just been told same as NFH reported above. The assistant I spoke to read from an internal email dated 9th Feb sent by a team manager in Brighton to clear up the confusion. Some cardholders were sent the letter by mistake. Plat chargecard holders who continue to hold their card will not be charged the additional fee for BAPP.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Responses in the online make-it-up-as-you-go-along-department (previously OK customer service) are taking longer than they should. Must be busy.

Today, they're asking me to upload the letter BAPP/AmEx sent me! As if it were a one-off or unique.

In the meantime, I cancelled my apparently non-qualifying PRG card and have a year's use of the BAPP before I cancel or submit.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
Responses in the online make-it-up-as-you-go-along-department (previously OK customer service) are taking longer than they should. Must be busy.

Today, they're asking me to upload the letter BAPP/AmEx sent me! As if it were a one-off or unique.

In the meantime, I cancelled my apparently non-qualifying PRG card and have a year's use of the BAPP before I cancel or submit.
Im trying an online message too - lets see if we can get any clarity!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Looks like this a badly formulated DB query...

But the question remains: do they consider any other card, other than the pcc, to be a 'companion card'? The answer I received online suggests that they don't.

Don't they have to give some notice before changing the terms for fees?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
But the question remains: do they consider any other card, other than the pcc, to be a 'companion card'?
According to the rather helpful person I spoke to on the phone last week when I cancelled my PRG, only the Centurion and Platinum charge cards now qualify.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:40 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Roger
According to the rather helpful person I spoke to on the phone last week when I cancelled my PRG, only the Centurion and Platinum charge cards now qualify.
That makes perfect sense. What would be Amex's rationale for allowing a card with an annual fee lower than £195 to waive the fee on the BA PP card? The only other obvious way to do this would be to reduce the BA PP annual fee by the same total annual fees paid for other cards.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:55 am
pfd

I too have had the letter. Can someone clear up a couple of things for me (this thread seems to have some conflicting info)?

I have a Platinum Cashback Credit card that I’ve never used but it did get the fee reduced to £30. Is this now not the case?

If I cancel my BA card (no wish to pay £195 for it), will I lose my existing unused 241 voucher?

Can I switch to a different free card to avoid this (or will my existing free card do this)?

Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pfd
I too have had the letter. Can someone clear up a couple of things for me (this thread seems to have some conflicting info)?

I have a Platinum Cashback Credit card that I’ve never used but it did get the fee reduced to £30. Is this now not the case?

If I cancel my BA card (no wish to pay £195 for it), will I lose my existing unused 241 voucher?

Can I switch to a different free card to avoid this (or will my existing free card do this)?

Thanks.
It's all in the thread but it's quite clumsy!

There's a lack of clarity over what triggered the discount. I suspect your card (like mine) wasn't supposed to.

If you want to avoid the fee, swap down to the free BA AMEX card. 241 vouchers will remain live on your account but there's no fee to pay. If you cancel outright, you will lose the vouchers.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Really useful thread, thanks. BAPP recently took £195 from me. They are now cross referencing the cards and refunding the £195.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, CX Gold, Skywards Silver, Sirius Silver, Starwood Gold
Sorry guys but I'm a little confused, as I think Amex are.

I've have had a Platinum charge card for as long as I remember, and a BAPP since 2011, I have always paid the annual fee for the latter. I phoned the Brighton call centre just now to be told that I was "in luck" and that I should have the next fee waived (it's not due until November). I said that I had always paid the fee, the response was that this was a "new" benefit for me!

Should I have been paying the BAPP annual fee all this time? And if not should I take it any further? I'm not sure given the posts on here whether I should get the fee for this year waived at all?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:37 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by sleepindug
Should I have been paying the BAPP annual fee all this time? And if not should I take it any further? I'm not sure given the posts on here whether I should get the fee for this year waived at all?
When the BA PP card was first introduced in 2001, the annual fee of £120 was waived for Platinum charge card holders (who were already paying £300 per annum). This fee waiver was withdrawn several years later (someone will tell me which year), but Amex continued to honour it for anyone who was already enjoying it. My understanding is that you should have been paying the fee all this time, but perhaps Amex are now reintroducing this fee waiver at the same time as they are now enforcing an annual fee on people who have cancelled their Platinum charge card.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, CX Gold, Skywards Silver, Sirius Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by NFH
When the BA PP card was first introduced in 2001, the annual fee of £120 was waived for Platinum charge card holders (who were already paying £300 per annum). This fee waiver was withdrawn several years later (someone will tell me which year), but Amex continued to honour it for anyone who was already enjoying it. My understanding is that you should have been paying the fee all this time, but perhaps Amex are now reintroducing this fee waiver at the same time as they are now enforcing an annual fee on people who have cancelled their Platinum charge card.
Thanks, call centre said I'd get a letter in the post. I'll see what happens, ultimately you don't miss what you never had to start with!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AmEx make-it-up-as-you-go-along department continues not to impress. Latest salvo:
I confirm that we offered the British Airways (BA) Premium Companion Credit Card to Card Holders of the Preferred Rewards Gold Charge Card. Here the Annual membership fee for the British Airways (BA) Premium Companion Credit Card was not applied.

However, as you have cancelled the Preferred Rewards Gold Charge Card, the Annual Membership fee will be applied for the British Airways (BA) Premium Credit Card.
... cleary ignoring that the opposite information sparked my cancellation. I have asked for a supervisor to intervene.

I see this person refers to the BAPP card as the companion card, rather than the PRC.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
My take on this, is that the crediting of the £195 is a reward for loyalty as they explained to me that I'd held the cards almost as long as I had been a FT member.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by NFH
This is wrong. See the terms and conditions posted earlier in this thread. Plat and Cent cards reduced the fee to £0. Credit and other charge cards reduced the fee to £30. Only corporate cards did not reduce the then £120 fee. These terms and conditions have not been materially altered since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.