Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:11 am
Original Member

Thank you! I see I'm a "premium plus three"
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:22 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
I have had the BA PP card since it was launched, and as I have also had a Platinum Card for even longer, I am not charged an annual fee on the BA card. Contrary to the letter, I have not stopped my Platinum Card. I spoke to two people at Amex yesterday:
  1. Someone in the Philippines overspill call centre for the BA card, who told me that she had received lots of calls about the same issue. She later called me back to say that the above deal for Platinum Card holders has ended.
  2. A duty manager in Brighton for the Platinum Card, who told me that the letter was worded incorrectly and that I will not be charged an annual fee on the BA card. He said that Amex just wants to draw attention to the fact that if people stop their Platinum Card, then they’ll incur an annual fee on the BA card, something that Amex hasn’t been properly enforcing in recent years.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Member

Just phoned. Now told the letter was a mistake and should have only been sent to those that had cancelled their companion card. I have not so told that I should not be paying an annual fee. To be confirmed in a letter.

ask for and received 5k membership reward points.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
AFAIK, the BAPP fee waiver was only ever applied to holders of certain companion CHARGE cards. Mention of companion CREDIT cards seems to have been lucky. Qualifying companion CHARGE cards were listed in the T+Cs. I recycled the T+Cs but cannot find a copy online.
Thanks for printing the T+Cs, pauldb It does seem that some credit card holders got a reduced-fee BAPP card.

And the BAPP fee at the time was £120 p.a. (Yes, I remember.) I wonder what current companion card qualifications are.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
I received the letter too (currently paying £30) but genuinely cannot remember what card I had alongside the BAPP back in 2001 when I first got it.

I have been churning Amex plat charge cards for the last 10 years or so and have always only had to pay £30 for the BAPP.

As it happens my BAPP anniversary is around end Feb, so perhaps I'll still have another year before the fee goes up to £195.

But I do actually have a Plat charge card at the moment, albeit as part of a regular churn run - will this help me if I phone them to take me off the list of those about to lose the discount?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:58 am

Hmm just phoned and I think they are making it up as they go along.
I have had a BA Amex PP since they were launched in 2001 and a Centurion Card/Platinum card for all that time plus years before. The agent I spoke to said Amex have changed terms and conditions and charge irrespective of whether you have other cards.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Hmm just phoned and I think they are making it up as they go along.
I have had a BA Amex PP since they were launched in 2001 and a Centurion Card/Platinum card for all that time plus years before. The agent I spoke to said Amex have changed terms and conditions and charge irrespective of whether you have other cards.
The propensity for call centre agents to make things up (within the realms of something believable) in order to get customers off the phone is not limited to BA.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:12 am

Just got the letter too, I have been paying about £30 a year for 10+ years for the BAPP card and had a companion green card that just sat in my travel wallet, mainly there to get the discount on the BAPP one.

The card does not justify a £195 a year fee, so will just move down to the free one to keep my 2-4-1 voucher. Am about £4k off another one, so may just get then and then downgrade.

Annoying. The VS combined Amex/Visa is substantially more attractive now. Have one already and just booked 2 J seats to Cuba, available without an issue on the dates I wanted. Just needs a proper 2-4-1 offer, the one they have on that card now is pointless.

More reasons to not bother with BA any more.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by ba bob
The card does not justify a £195 a year fee, so will just move down to the free one to keep my 2-4-1 voucher. Am about £4k off another one, so may just get then and then downgrade.
It sounds like you may also have got the letter in error - a quick call may answer that.

If they should renage and charge me the £195 in May I will complain and hope to get the 3-month 2.5avios/£ offer. I should then be able to hit my £10k for a final voucher in 4-5 months, earning maybe an extra 7k avios and only paying a net £70 of the £195 by then downgrading. That would be better than cancelling immediately.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
My companion card was an Amex Blue. This was replaced with a Platinum cash back credit card some time after 2010.
Thanks for the reminder - that's exactly what I had - the clear plastic one with the blue holographic square on it, if I recall.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA IHG
I too received the letter saying I would no longer be getting the reduced £30 fee. I also doubt I will now pay £195 for this card. I have 2 vouchers still to use so will just switch to the free card.

I took out the companion card in 2005, just before I applied for the BAPP in order to get the reduced fee. The companion card at the time was Amex Blue. Some years later it was replaced by Amex Platinum cashback which I still hold.

So I can't quite decide if the the letter stating I'm a former companion card holder is true or not (since the Blue is gone, but I have the replacement).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE. He said that Amex just wants to draw attention to the fact that if people stop their Platinum Card, then they’ll incur an annual fee on the BA card, something that Amex hasn’t been properly enforcing in recent years.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

..which is why they "acidentally" waived my BA PP fee last April despite my cancelling AmEx Plat and (after 6 months) taken AmEx Gold since the previous BA PP renewal. However, since becoming BA LTG I don't need any more TP or (devalued, unredeemable) Avios, so will downgrade to BA Classic to protect my 1 remaining 2-for-1 and move spending to VS AmEx and Visa for everything except non-VS tickets - where AmEx Gold will earn 2 MR per £.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Just phoned. Now told the letter was a mistake and should have only been sent to those that had cancelled their companion card. I have not so told that I should not be paying an annual fee. To be confirmed in a letter.

ask for and received 5k membership reward points.
Lloyds did that with me and my Gold account sent me a letter saying that I was no longer going to get the fee waived and the fee was going up to boot. Then a week later another letter arrived which said very sorry you're not supposed to have got that letter. You're staying fee free and sorry for any inconvenience or confusion. I had looked at other banks by then and they got lucky in that no one else would match the deal I had from Lloyds. I wasn't popular with someone at work who had got the first letter but never got the second one and was then stuck with paying the £10+ fee each month. Given I've successfully claimed on the travel insurance over the years it's probably paid for itself.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No letter to me yet.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
So really the situation is no clearer....

i sent a facebook message to Amex on Wednesday and they just redirected me saying i needed to call customer service instead.

As per my original post i have the platinum cashback card since way before i got the BAPP (I think it was originally the see-thru card with the blue centre originally) and i have 'qualified for the discount down to £30 ever since.... I have also have a 'few' gold and platinum cards over the last few years but dont have either of those presently.

i'll give them another call tomorrow and see if i can speak to someone senior.

GavT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.