Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Raffles
Originally Posted by dominion85
Hello,

I have subscribed with an Amex Platinum chargecard in the UK before seeing this thread. Do you know if I have any chance they'll give me the points retrospectively if I contact them now?

I haven't received the card yet, it was approved 2 days ago.

Thank you
When they improved the SPG card deal, I called and they gave me the extra 5k points and refunded my fee. I had applied about 2 weeks before they changed the deal from 10k/£75 to 15k/£0.
Similar situationbut they refused to give me the better deal. Obviously I'm not as valued as Raffles
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by dominion85
Card arrived today and I called them and they said they can't help, and can't guarantee that when I re-apply that I'll get the points as I'll have been a Platinum customer already.

The applications team told me it would be ok when I first applied, but I'm not sure what to do now!
Unless you get a different answer, you're going to have to cancel and apply via a referral, Amex should see you as a new application if you cancel immediately and don't use the card.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA,AA
Exclamation Newbie - needs help

All

First post and only joined yesterday - this looks like a good idea (to get 42k miles - better use of £300 than using tesco vouchers?) but need some help and probably a referrer.

I currently have a BA Amex, AA Amex, LLoyds duo amex (but no charge cards at all). I am a member of exec club with 52k miles collected mainly via tescos (spend £600 p/m there).

My intention is to try and get enough BA miles together to book a trip to Vegas in Sept 2012 for 2 people. 1 pass in club (me) and a mate in as high a class as possible. I currently have £250 or so in tesco vouchers so could achieve the 100k miles via that route for me and then buy a ticket for mate for say £600 inc taxes. I won't spend £20k in time (or 10k if upgrade BA Amex) in time to guarantee to be able to use companion ticket - would like to book as close to flights becoming avail as poss to guarantee seats.

I therfore have 52,000 ba miles, £1,000 cash and £250 in tesco vouchers. How would others utilise these resources to get the best flights possible.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by seanmac
All

First post and only joined yesterday - this looks like a good idea (to get 42k miles - better use of £300 than using tesco vouchers?) but need some help and probably a referrer.

I currently have a BA Amex, AA Amex, LLoyds duo amex (but no charge cards at all). I am a member of exec club with 52k miles collected mainly via tescos (spend £600 p/m there).

My intention is to try and get enough BA miles together to book a trip to Vegas in Sept 2012 for 2 people. 1 pass in club (me) and a mate in as high a class as possible. I currently have £250 or so in tesco vouchers so could achieve the 100k miles via that route for me and then buy a ticket for mate for say £600 inc taxes. I won't spend £20k in time (or 10k if upgrade BA Amex) in time to guarantee to be able to use companion ticket - would like to book as close to flights becoming avail as poss to guarantee seats.

I therfore have 52,000 ba miles, £1,000 cash and £250 in tesco vouchers. How would others utilise these resources to get the best flights possible.
Best value would be obtained from a BA Premier and going for a companion voucher. However, if booking early is your priority, I'd go for an Amex Charge Card - Gold would be sufficient if you are focussing purely on this trip - that would give you 22,000 miles for a £70 annual fee. Added to your existing miles and the miles from Tesco Clubcard - it should give you sufficient miles for you to book a Club World redemption ticket and your friend a World Traveller Plus which you could upgrade to club with miles - so you could both travel together in CW. That's if you are only motivated by the miles. Reason to go for the Amex Platinum would be for the additional 20,000 miles for the future and if you were going to get use out of the airline lounge access etc. If you are purely focussing on getting enough miles for this trip for minimum outlay - then Amex Gold for 22,000 extra miles should be fine.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by pjh981
Best value would be obtained from a BA Premier and going for a companion voucher. However, if booking early is your priority, I'd go for an Amex Charge Card - Gold would be sufficient if you are focussing purely on this trip - that would give you 22,000 miles for a £70 annual fee. Added to your existing miles and the miles from Tesco Clubcard - it should give you sufficient miles for you to book a Club World redemption ticket and your friend a World Traveller Plus which you could upgrade to club with miles - so you could both travel together in CW. That's if you are only motivated by the miles. Reason to go for the Amex Platinum would be for the additional 20,000 miles for the future and if you were going to get use out of the airline lounge access etc. If you are purely focussing on getting enough miles for this trip for minimum outlay - then Amex Gold for 22,000 extra miles should be fine.
You should add in the Starwood Amex card (free for 15K SPG)

Maybe then looking at purchasing 5K Starwood and then transferring into BA - 20K Starwood would with the bonus be 25K BA

As already stated you should change to the Premium BA Amex
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice for my dad. He has BA pp and Amex green card. He use to get fee reduced to £30 but they have written to him saying it will now be £150. Does this sound right? To me, it sounds poke there needs to be some change to t&cs for this to happen and he is not sure if there has been!

Cheers

Jamjaw
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Oh dear, I don't like the sound of this! Hopefully my BA PP will remain free (due to Amex Plat) and not £150!

They have just written to you, so that presumably counts as giving you advance notice.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Oh dear, I don't like the sound of this! Hopefully my BA PP will remain free (due to Amex Plat) and not £150!

They have just written to you, so that presumably counts as giving you advance notice.
So you think he will just have to accept the increase? I think that is what he will be doing, albeit cancelling my mum's card, so they only get the one 2-4-1 each year. Given they have three currently and can't find anywhere they want to go (oh the luxury of that!!) it should be ok!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:47 pm

Let me get this right.

I have an Amex credit card and an Amex gold charge. I get my bonus miles on the gold charge at 3 months (august).

My partner has just the Amex credit card.

My partner takes out via a recommendation link the plat.
I get added as an additional cardholder.
We claim the hotel status and pp
We spend the required amount.
I cancel my gold when my miles deposit and get partial refund on the rest of the years fee?
I get recommended by OH for platinum.
Once the miles credit to my OH, cancel the card and get partial refund (approx 7/12)?
Get added as additional on mine.
Get my hotel status and pp
Once the miles credit to mine, cancel again partial refund.

By my maths we get 84k miles plus the 20k(?) bonus, a years pp and hotel status, and all for about £200 if we keep on top of things?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by COOLIO
Let me get this right.

I have an Amex credit card and an Amex gold charge. I get my bonus miles on the gold charge at 3 months (august).

I cancel my gold when my miles deposit and get partial refund on the rest of the years fee?
Once the miles credit to my OH, cancel the card and get partial refund (approx 7/12)?

By my maths we get 84k miles plus the 20k(?) bonus, a years pp and hotel status, and all for about £200 if we keep on top of things?
You
20,000 Gold
42,000 Plat

Partner
42,000 Plat
22,000 Bonus for recommending you

I make that 84,000 + 42,000 - note YMMV on the Amex refunds but I would expect to pay £75 for the Plat's

I wouldn't expect the hotel status to stay if the cards were cancelled but again YMMV
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Originally Posted by COOLIO
Let me get this right.

You
20,000 Gold
42,000 Plat

Partner
42,000 Plat
22,000 Bonus for recommending you

I make that 84,000 + 42,000 - note YMMV on the Amex refunds but I would expect to pay £75 for the Plat's

I wouldn't expect the hotel status to stay if the cards were cancelled but again YMMV
Hotel status will stay, but the priority pass will not (I think) when you cancel.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:34 am

I only signed up recently, in part due to this interesting deal.

I would be happy to assist with referral for this deal as I have an Amex Platinum Chargecard.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice for my dad. He has BA pp and Amex green card. He use to get fee reduced to £30 but they have written to him saying it will now be £150. Does this sound right? To me, it sounds poke there needs to be some change to t&cs for this to happen and he is not sure if there has been!

Cheers

Jamjaw
Can you tell us exactly what the letter says? In the past, Amex have occasionally attempted to charge full price by mistake to a cardholder who was had been receiving the reduced price. If however the letter is a formal variation of the terms and conditions of the BA card (which specify the level of of fee which depends on the type of other card held) then it sounds like bad news.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Can you tell us exactly what the letter says? In the past, Amex have occasionally attempted to charge full price by mistake to a cardholder who was had been receiving the reduced price. If however the letter is a formal variation of the terms and conditions of the BA card (which specify the level of of fee which depends on the type of other card held) then it sounds like bad news.
I thought those T&Cs with different fees disappeared long ago, but Amex honoured the status quo. Certainly the T&Cs on the website say £150, without any exceptions.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
I thought those T&Cs with different fees disappeared long ago, but Amex honoured the status quo. Certainly the T&Cs on the website say £150, without any exceptions.
Terms and conditions do not "disappear". They remain in force until they are varied. The method by which they can be varied is set out in the terms and conditions themselves. Unless Amex vary the terms and conditions using the prescribed method, they remain in force, which is why some people pay £30 for their PP Amex, and others pay £0.

The terms and conditions on the website are the current version, which would apply to new cardholders. But my terms and conditions, which have been varied in some respects by Amex, have not had that section amended. That is why I still receive the discount I think. I haven't heard of anyone else having their terms and conditions relating to the charge for the card amended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.