Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
Doh! I'll try and engage my brain before I post next time.....
Can someone please confirm for me, I need 4000 starwood points to acheive 20,000 and gain the extra 5,000 points when transferring to BA. Am I right in what I have seen on the web that my Amex reward points are not 1:1 ratio when transferring to Starwoods account and it is 3:1 ratio. I originally thought transfer 4000 amex points but now looks like 12000 which i do not have in my account?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by cocobay
Can someone please confirm for me, I need 4000 starwood points to acheive 20,000 and gain the extra 5,000 points when transferring to BA. Am I right in what I have seen on the web that my Amex reward points are not 1:1 ratio when transferring to Starwoods account and it is 3:1 ratio. I originally thought transfer 4000 amex points but now looks like 12000 which i do not have in my account?
OK, I have now managed to find on the web, hoping the latest ratio of MR points to Starwoods points and this is 2:1.
I still do not have enough MR points to get the 5,000 pts bonus. Can anyone advise me the easiest, cheapest route to acquire 4,000 spg points. I have seen you cannot transfer Virgin miles either into SPG which was a consideration also.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can buy up to 10,000 Amex MR points per year for 1.5p each. This is not documented but ring Amex and they can do it. Does it make sense? 8,000 MR = £120 which gets you 4k SPG and an additional 9k BA (the 4k plus the 5k bonus). That is 1.4p per BA Mile so not a great deal.

Alternatively you could buy 4k SPG online. 4k is $140, so c £90 for 9,000 BA. 1p per mile - not bad but not outstanding either, unless of course you need them for a redemption immediately in which case its as good a deal as you'll find.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:37 am

Thanks Raffles, I did look at the purchase of the SPG points purchase route, do not really want to spend £90 so maybe just use MR points when I have made the quota as these were free but looking at profit would only give me 1000 BA points more in the long run as I only want the SPG pts to transfer to BA miles.
I suppose 1000 BA miles for free is better than nothing, hopefully we may see another transfer bonus before my years free membership is up.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by uk1
A lovely afternoon on the 'phone.

Card details (BA PP) stolen and used to fund a trip to Sebastapol. Amex put me through to the travel agent who evidently accepted the details of my card from a person with a completely different name and address - and they were so friendly they gave me his name and address. So whilst on-line I google-earthed his address. Nice detatched house in Chalfont St Peter with a Mitsubishi 4wd on the drive, garage converted into an extra room.
One good Data Protection Act breach deserves another, I suppose

Hope it all works out OK for you.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:54 pm
dgm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, HH Diamond.
BA Amex - Online Promotions

Hi.

Yet another AMEX Newbie question so apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a look through and I cannot find the answer so hopefully you can help!

On my AMEX Online services there is a box to enter promotional codes for additional miles promos which apparently AMEX send out?

Any ideas what sort of promos these would be and has anyone had one before?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:58 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
One good Data Protection Act breach deserves another, I suppose

Hope it all works out OK for you.
Thanks.

Correct. All I did was ask the TA whether the name and details given were my name and details and they said "no" and proceeded to give me the details. I hoped that the Amex fraud department would be interested and take the details. They weren't.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
BA Amex Card Fee and Companion products

Needs some help and advice please.

I have been a platinum card holder for some years and also have a premium plus card. My wife too has her own premium plus card and also a partner card from my platinum account.

We have played the cards well for some years obtaining 2 x 2-4-1 vouchers almost every year and as we have a household account with 2 kids have been able to use them.

Earlier this year I withdrew from our household account as I had 805 tier points and decided that I would Euro cheat. This I did but BA Exec club in Europe had issues with getting a card to me and twice I was asked to confirm my address by BAEC.

The Gold card finally arrived today 3 months late.

On Friday however my wife got a letter from Amex stating that she would from September have to pay the fee for her BA Amex premium plus card. The reason given was that she no longer held a companion product. The fee of £150 will be pro rated from September.

Both our BA amex cards have been free and I was told this was due to the Platinum card. Amex doesn’t know I am in Europe and I have not used my BA amex for almost 7 months. I will revert to the UK for BAEC in 3 weeks just as soon as my 6 months are up.

She still has a partner card on my platinum account. I still have a partner card on her BA amex perium plus card and she has a partner card on my BA amex perium plus card.

So

What is a companion product?

Has something changed at Amex to allow for the fee to be charged?

Do BA tell Amex of address changes? Is my Euro Cheating connected to the letter to my wife?

Anyone else experienced this?

Having a shiny gold card was purely a status thing, and given the nature of my travel as well as the limited additional benefits of the gold card, not sure I would do this again. I can get 600 points a year with the travel I do but will not get 800 this year and 1600 is simply beyond me.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is nothing to do with the Euro move. Lots of people have had these letters. Your card will stay free as you are a Plat card holder. Amex is stopping free or discounted cards for other people.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It is nothing to do with the Euro move. Lots of people have had these letters. Your card will stay free as you are a Plat card holder. Amex is stopping free or discounted cards for other people.
Thanks for that, that is good news

...the letter is wholly misleading however.......this is simply a change to the terms and conditions........ but what it says is that the fee is being charged because there is no companion product.

What is a companion product? A Gold Card, Platinum..other.? How do you avoid the fee?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:27 pm
dgm

Originally Posted by dgm
Hi.

Yet another AMEX Newbie question so apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a look through and I cannot find the answer so hopefully you can help!

On my AMEX Online services there is a box to enter promotional codes for additional miles promos which apparently AMEX send out?

Any ideas what sort of promos these would be and has anyone had one before?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to bump my post. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dgm
Sorry to bump my post. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
Never had a message, so can't help.
But then my BA Amex is the tacky free Blue one that smokes from use
YMMV, but apparently not.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:15 pm
dgm

Thanks anyways!

Anyone else?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:29 am

your AmEx card must be valid at the time of travel

The front page of this sticky is most helpful, but one thing that confuses me is:

your AmEx card must be valid at the time of travel (so you can’t cancel it after booking to save the annual fee for next year)

Is it really the case that the credit card used to generate the 241 CV needs to be 'active' at the time of travel, or just 'within the card's expiry date'?

I booked tickets using a 241 CV 11 months ago for a trip next month. In the meantime, the credit card could easily have been closed as part of an upgrade from blue to PremPlus. All the fees, taxes, charges and surcharges have been paid and the flights are 'confirmed' on the BAEC account. So, I can't think why the card still needs to be 'active' on the day of departure. Am I missing something here?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right, you can cancel the card once your 2-4-1 is booked. You may still need to show it at the airport to get your tickets, but it doesn't need to be valid. Of course, if you need to cancel your trip then you will be in trouble as the voucher may not come back.

And you don't need to pay the 2-4-1 taxes on the BA Amex - any Amex will do. Although your BA Amex still needs to be alive at this point, or you lose the voucher (I think).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.