Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Roger
There was a page for existing members explaining the old structure, continuing for future use. This seems to have disappeared. I have just e-mailed Nationwide asking why. If I get a sensible response, I'll post.
Roger, please do. We have a Nationwide card which is only ever used for foreign spending, and since we haven't got outside Europe recently (and unlikely to for a while) the 1% fee for non-Europe spend hasn't been a problem, but this new structure would be.

Actually, a quick look at the website for the Clarity card shows a 2% cashback promo for balance transfers... we never run a balance (obviously) but could I do a 'balance transfer' of a single month's spend, then pay if off the Clarity card at first statement and make a few quid ?

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by britbronco22
For purchases of course not! However, despite the introduction of fees I still find they are quite reasonable for cash withdrawals.
(Nationwide FlexAccount Visa debit card)
2% for purchases, 2% + £1 for cash, so a £100 cash withdrawal is charged at £103.

With the Halifax Clarity MC, it's 0% for purchases and cash, with typical 12.9% APR for cash. That works out at +/- £1 per month for £100. My last statement included interest of £0.01. (Presumably interest on interest.)

Here's MSE's take on Nationwide credit cards (including their alternative spelling of Existing):
Originally Posted by http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
Nationwide - Exisiting customers

Loading (exchange rate fee) Europe: 0% | Worldwide:1%
Cash withdrawalsFee: 2.5% (min. £3) | Interest: Yes even if repaid in full
Representative APRsSpending: 16.9% | Cash: 27.9% (see official rate example)
Card Issuer Visa

If you applied for the Nationwide Gold card before 22 February 2011 you get fees-free spending in europe and 1% charge for worldwide purchases. For cash withdrawals you get charged a 2.5% fee and pay interest even if repaid in full.

Nationwide - New customers

Loading (exchange rate fee) Europe: 0% (or 2%) | Worldwide: 0% (or 2%)
Cash withdrawalsFee: 2.5% (min. £3) | Interest: Yes even if repaid in full
Representative APRsSpending: 15.9% | Cash: 27.9% (see official rate example)
Card Issuer Visa

New Nationwide* credit card customers face a complicated system which is based on how much you spend in the UK. For every £5 spent here it gives you £1 worth of cheap overseas spending (0% load worldwide, though still has a cash withdrawal fee and charges 27.9% APR even if repaid in full).

This overseas allowance is accumulated and shown on your statement, so spend £100 in a month and next month you'll be able to spend £20 cheaply abroad. Any spending over this will get a 2% charge worldwide. Additionally all spending until 31 July 2011 will be fee-free.

It also offers a decent balance transfer offer (see how it compares in the Balance Transfers guide), however the extended warranties and purchase protection are no longer available.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
There was a page for existing members explaining the old structure, continuing for future use. This seems to have disappeared. I have just e-mailed Nationwide asking why. If I get a sensible response, I'll post.
Not quite the answer to my question, but here goes:
Originally Posted by Nationwide CS
I confirm that for your Credit Card the charge for transactions abroad remains at 0.00% in Europe and 1.00% for transactions made outside the Visa Europe region.

For more information about existing customers for Credit Cards please follow the link below:
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/search/D...x?article=1259
If you click on that link, scan down to Charges then be sure to click on Gold card, Classic card or Reward card as appropriate - i.e. NOT Credit card which would bring up the newer confusing charges.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
BA AMEX PP fee reduction for holding other AMEX ended.

I may be coming to the party late with information which is already known here but has anyone else just received a letter from AMEX announcing the end of the BA AMEX PP fee reduction from £150 to £30 for holding another AMEX card from September 1st 2011.

I was wondering what happens if I decide to downgrade to the ordinary BA AMEX fee free card if I already have a voucher booked and another waiting to be used.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by Baracus
I may be coming to the party late with information which is already known here but has anyone else just received a letter from AMEX announcing the end of the BA AMEX PP fee reduction from £150 to £30 for holding another AMEX card from September 1st 2011.

I was wondering what happens if I decide to downgrade to the ordinary BA AMEX fee free card if I already have a voucher booked and another waiting to be used.
:-( first I've heard of it. Mine was renewed in May at £30. I wouldn't be happy with the £150 fee especially since I'm currently battling to use my 2-4-1s anyway!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
:-( first I've heard of it. Mine was renewed in May at £30. I wouldn't be happy with the £150 fee especially since I'm currently battling to use my 2-4-1s anyway!
Actually discussion going on in this thread:-

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...mo-active.html

I have managed to answer my own question please see answer below posted in thread above.

Just on the phone to AMEX now and they tell me the only cards listed now with a reduction of the £150.00 will be the legacy holders of Gold, Platinum and Centurion Charge Cards.

As I don't hold one of these (my other card is a Plat Credit Card) I am bound by this change.

All my existing vouchers remain valid at the existing T&C's if I choose to downgrade to the fee free BA card instead.

Hope this helps others.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:32 am

Apologies if this has been answered before but I have attempted to find the answer both on here and google.

When it comes to filling in the Amex application there's a point where you get asked the question, "Do you have any other American Express Cards?". If you click YES it asks for your Amex card numbers.

a. What do other serial Amex card appliers do? Do you tick this/not tick this?

b. Does anybody know if by ticking YES it affects either your chances of getting another card, ie. If I had GOLD and wanted to apply for BA PP?

c. OR does this affect your chances of getting bonus points, ie. is this how Amex checks whether you're entitled to new bonus points or is it done through your address later on in the process.

Any experience from regulars would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
A bit off topic from The current discussion, however it is relevant to the ba pp card. I have both a platinum charge and ba pp Amex card. I have done a few referrals on the platinum and received the bonus points.

However today when I log into my Amex account, on the pp card it says "points to be transferred...blah blah" = 22000. when I check the details it says, "thanks for referring a friend". I have never done a referral for the premium plus card, and also as far as I know there is no referral for that card that gets me 22000 miles. So question is....what's going on ?

Or am I just stupid !

Just had a thought, It is possible that I mistakenly gave my ba pp card number in the referral page rather than my plat card number.might imply that non plat holders can do the referral and get full 22k points, which would open up a lot of other Amex people to the promotion.

Last edited by tangey; Jun 25, 2011 at 8:55 am
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The 22k referral bonus is now open up to Gold card holders as well (see the Amex thread on the 42k promo) who refer a new Plat - although that doesn't explain what happened to you!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:49 pm

From Amex's Twitter (how do I link to Twitter ):

Platinum Charge & Centurion members will get double Membership Rewards points on virtually all overseas spend in July & August. Terms apply.

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Does that mean 4MRs per £ on the Plat Business card...?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
From Amex's Twitter (how do I link to Twitter ):

Platinum Charge & Centurion members will get double Membership Rewards points on virtually all overseas spend in July & August. Terms apply.

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Does that mean 4MRs per £ on the Plat Business card...?
Could be true, although it is not on the Plat Offers bit of the website or the MR site. Amex is the master of the secret promo - who knew that Cent holders got free access to The Secret Garden at Taste of London? Not the Cent card holder I was with, for one, until after the event!

There is also the Amex Selects website with a great range of global offers, which no-one knows about and is never advertised.

Expect a mailshot in mid August!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:52 am
uk1
Suspended

Changing MR Transfer membership details

I want to transfer some MR points to SPG (and then to BA) and I can see an SPG membership number already exists but it isn't current - in fact I have no recollection of transferring to SPG in the past. So I'd like to either delete the current number or change it. It won't allow me to add a new number for SPG whilst that one is there.

Does anyone know of a method of either deleting or changing the membership numbers?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I want to transfer some MR points to SPG (and then to BA)
Why? Am I missing something here?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:10 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SteveF
Why? Am I missing something here?
Don't panic - I don't think so. I have 37k in my own spg account and want to get it to 40k to trigger the extra 5k for each bunch of 20k points. I have the mr points available. That's all.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
Don't panic - I don't think so. I have 37k in my own spg account and want to get it to 40k to trigger the extra 5k for each bunch of 20k points. I have the mr points available. That's all.
So you are using 6,000 MR points to earn 8,000 BA miles. I guess that makes sense if you need the miles urgently and don't want to spend any cash.

Alternatively you could buy 3,000 SPG points for $105, which would give you the 8,000 BA miles, plus another 6,000 BA miles if you then transfered the MR points directly to BA. $105 to keep 6,000 BA miles would generally be considered not bad value.

However I would just wait until I earned 3,000 more SPG points, I guess it depends how urgently you need the BA miles.

P.S I realise you weren't asking about the logic of your decision, just how to do it! However I had a feeling some other people may have been wondering...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.