Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Open 05:15 to the last flight daily, for Silver/Sapphire and Club passengers, plus guest(s) where applicable, usual oneworld rules apply.

For the Gatwick South BA User Guide, click here.
Details on the First lounge can be found here:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...st-lounge.html

Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ub-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
I did that in the 1950s, on the roof of Queen's Building, and then grew out of it. I never got the full BEA Viscount set either, which probably (mercifully) prevented me from becoming a complete 'anorak'
A good place to watch 'planes but I have always preferred flying them/in them. I'm not averse to going somewhere just to get on a certain type though (Tallinn).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Looks to me that this is a complete volte face on BA's part.

Reduced F lounge size with limited hours now replaced with an F lounge on a par with LHR T5 or T3. The Club lounge actually looks like an improvement on the LHR equivalents with the same food and beverage offerings.

I am not sure of the sizes of these lounges. There has been a comment that the new F lounge is larger than the old F lounge on closure. I imagine it is at least the size of the old pre-contraction F lounge. The old Club lounge used to be on two floors too, but I am unclear whether the new one is of comparable size.

One thing I would say is clear is that this represents a very firm commitment by BA to LGW and to the continuation of premium cabins, both long and short haul. I say this as otherwise why have an F lounge and why have such a large Club lounge, if the only users would be status passengers on one-class shorthaul.

Indeed I would suggest that the new capacity is greater than current flights merit. Whether BA have immediate plans for route expansion, the additional lounge capacity would certainly allow significant route growth, particularly long haul, where bar the lack of a CCR, the playing field for ground products between LHR and LGW has been dramatically levelled. In fact, given the normally swift Premium Gatwick security and the noted friendliness and efficiency of BA's LGW staff, provided the location is not inconvenient, then LGW probably has some advantages over LHR now.
i haven't been reading many of these threads recently, was there any suggestion that BA would drop premium cabins at LGW? They don't need to drop CE, since they can configure it as large or small as they wish. As for CW, it will continue but at lower capacity unless they add more aircraft at LGW. From next winter the 3-class LGW 772 fleet is being reconfigured down from 40/48J to 32J, with W doubling in seats along with the switch to 10 across in Y, to compete with DY. Based on recent experience, long haul route expansion will also be reactive to whatever DY do.

That said, the new lounges look good from the pics, especially the Club lounge, let's hope they sort the loo and power issues quickly. It's a couple of months before I see the new LGW Flounge for myself.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
From next winter the 3-class LGW 772 fleet is being reconfigured down from 40/48J to 32J, with W doubling in seats along with the switch to 10 across in Y, to compete with DY. Based on recent experience, long haul route expansion will also be reactive to whatever DY do.

That said, the new lounges look good from the pics, especially the Club lounge, let's hope they sort the loo and power issues quickly. It's a couple of months before I see the new LGW Flounge for myself.

So if they are going to compete with DY are they going to increase the WT+ legroom to 46 inches as part of the refit and also give access to the lounge. BA's WT+ product seems to be aimed well below DY. I would have thought if they were trying to compete they would at least try and match the LCC they seem to want to emulate.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
i haven't been reading many of these threads recently, was there any suggestion that BA would drop premium cabins at LGW? They don't need to drop CE, since they can configure it as large or small as they wish. As for CW, it will continue but at lower capacity unless they add more aircraft at LGW. From next winter the 3-class LGW 772 fleet is being reconfigured down from 40/48J to 32J, with W doubling in seats along with the switch to 10 across in Y, to compete with DY. Based on recent experience, long haul route expansion will also be reactive to whatever DY do.

For several years there has been speculation in this forum that BA would move its short haul operation to one-class and perhaps also move away any long haul flights that merited CW or F cabins.

I think the lounge investment at LGW, the introduction of basic fares and BoB and the large number of leisure routes started at LHR, LCY, STN and non-London airports plus the move to introduce Club to DOM flight shows a clear BA policy. It wants to compete with LCCs on price but also offer affluent passengers who value quality product a choice of cabin not on offer from many competitors.

Whatever BA may have been moving towards, one-class shorthaul only leisure- orientated from LGW is clearly not the current strategy.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
These are some fairly unflattering photographs of the club shower rooms, hopefully some will post some better ones soon. There are 5 in total and do look really well appointed. The same products are used at LGW as at LHR, and the whole general feel of the area is a massive improvement on the previous offerings.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The upholstery is the same as at the Singapore lounge. So I would say this is the template for any new lounges now.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
These are some fairly unflattering photographs...
So has the lounge re-opened now, or were these photos from a visit yesterday?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Virazuno
So has the lounge re-opened now, or were these photos from a visit yesterday?
These were taken yesterday, so I unfortunately don't know whether the club lounge is open or not today. The Speedbird lounge mentioned a Tuesday switch and there were no BS staff currently working there which is a very promising sign. Presumably once whatever minor issues are fixed up, it'll be good to go. I was very impressed with the club lounge and product offerings aside, actually more so than the first section if I'm honest.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:57 am

Well, this seems to suggest it is open today...

Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I visited the lounge by accident yesterday (apparently it was being offered to Club World passengers only, in theory, but I couldn't find the Speedbird lounge - genuinely - and was welcomed warmly at the new Club lounge).

Staff were great, very attentive, very evident. Of course it was fairly empty. There was lots of space, and lots of different zones to sit or work in, mostly with soft chairs. I was disappointed that I couldn't find an area with normal chairs and tables to for working/eating. Just some high stools at benches, which I don't personally find comfortable. But otherwise everything was very good and many times better than the old lounge at North Terminal. Airy feel, wide views, decent décor. I spotted power points at some of the workstation benches in corners and, I think, upstairs, though I didn't test them.

Lunch buffet included slices of vegetarian frittata as well as basic salad options and sliced ham. I think hot soup was about to appear but I had to leave for my flight then. Staff were very keen to hand around chocolates and take orders for champagne.

I couldn't find any toilets that were open and was directed to the First Lounge. Hence the closing down, I suppose.

Most of my flying is with BA from LGW so apart from the delayed opening, this all seems very positive to me. I will miss the meals in the No. 1 lounge though.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
The upholstery is the same as at the Singapore lounge. So I would say this is the template for any new lounges now.
Indeed, this is the Galleries Evolution standard, with the lounges now being branded as British Airways Lounge.

The concept has so far been implemented at GLA, EDI, BHD (to a lesser degree), SIN, DXB, CPT, IAD and now LGW.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LookingLikeRain
I visited the lounge by accident yesterday (apparently it was being offered to Club World passengers only, in theory, but I couldn't find the Speedbird lounge - genuinely - and was welcomed warmly at the new Club lounge).
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk LookingLikeRain and the BA forum. It's great to get more posters here and I hope you will feel minded to continue being active in the space. Welcome on board.

The WCs in Club are at the furthest end from reception, a bit beyond the childrens' play area. But as you indicate, they have/had the plumbers in yesterday.....
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But as you indicate, they have/had the plumbers in yesterday.....
Hmm, perhaps I should offer to muck in tomorrow morning when I get to LGW.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by internetplumber
Hmm, perhaps I should offer to muck in tomorrow morning when I get to LGW.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you for the welcome, corporate-wage-slave. Yes, I think I must have been there just as the plumbing problems started, as I found the toilets were closed and staff directed me in various other directions which didn't lead anywhere. A shame as otherwise the lounge seemed excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.