Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Open 05:15 to the last flight daily, for Silver/Sapphire and Club passengers, plus guest(s) where applicable, usual oneworld rules apply.

For the Gatwick South BA User Guide, click here.
Details on the First lounge can be found here:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...st-lounge.html

Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ub-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Slightly OT - am I dreaming but was there an old aircraft on the roof at LGW in the past?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You are not wrong Pooch, there used to be a HP Herald on the roof of the South Terminal.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You are not wrong Pooch, there used to be a HP Herald on the roof of the South Terminal.
Good - I've seen some old hunk of junk alongside the Taxiway so I assume that it is the same?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time I set eyes on an old hunk of junk I was looking at your backside.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another aircraft hiding away at Gatwick is the HP Herald GCEXP. She was on the roof of the South Terminal as part of the viewing area for many years, but was eventually craned off one night and taken to the western end of the airfield.Not looking too good as of a couple of months ago:
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:30 am

Any Updates

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
These were taken yesterday, so I unfortunately don't know whether the club lounge is open or not today. The Speedbird lounge mentioned a Tuesday switch and there were no BS staff currently working there which is a very promising sign. Presumably once whatever minor issues are fixed up, it'll be good to go. I was very impressed with the club lounge and product offerings aside, actually more so than the first section if I'm honest.
Hi any updates on Speedbird closing, it's getting near my flight and was hoping to avoid it?

regards
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Crocodile2409
Hi any updates on Speedbird closing, it's getting near my flight and was hoping to avoid it?

regards
Have a look at the wiki and read the Access link carefully....... [I think you will be OK]
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
The lounge is well and truly open this morning, and pretty much full. The sign just after security still mentions Clubroom and Speedbird, and I must admit that I followed CWS' directions rather than the signs, so I don't know which way they'd lead you.

However, at the end of it you get to the new lounges. Being a mere Silver/CE traveller I was shepherded to the right.

There is a small work area on the right soon after you enter the lounge.

There are also a couple of small booths on the right.

Whilst the main body of the lounge is busy, the mezzanine is relatively quiet. There is also a small bench up here with more power outlets. Unless FT has more readers than we think, loungers must be directed to the new lounges at the moment (unless this is still the soft opening and extra passengers have been directed in here to 'test under load').

The food is just croissants, pain-au-chocolat and toast at the moment (pre-toasted, no toaster to freshly toast the bread). Perhaps I've just missed the bacon rolls (which is slightly disappointing, I was ready for one of those).

For those that want a picture of a dirty bowl, here's one specially for you.

I have not "checked the plumbing" yet.

Edit: there are also quite a few staff around at the moment, including a couple of firemen presumably checking up on some snagging.

Cheers!

Last edited by internetplumber; Feb 7, 2017 at 9:25 am Reason: Move images from Google to ImageShack.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Another aircraft hiding away at Gatwick is the HP Herald GCEXP. She was on the roof of the South Terminal as part of the viewing area for many years, but was eventually craned off one night and taken to the western end of the airfield.Not looking too good as of a couple of months ago:
When did the viewing area close? I was there as a child in the early 90's and couldn't find a viewing area (as NCL had one at the time I expected LGW to have one!) so I wonder if I'd just missed it or had it already closed by that time.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:44 am

Good to see it open, I will be swinging by later today. Looks busy!

And come on, internetplumber...no collection of lounge photos/review is complete without an obligatory toilet shot. Expected better from you
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by internetplumber
Perhaps I've just missed the bacon rolls (which is slightly disappointing, I was ready for one of those).
I'm afraid that's only until 09:30 (unless that aspect hasn't been switched on), unless you start switching your flights to TLL or HNL. Essentially BA Lounges Club in LGW South will give an identical offering to LHR T5 and T3 GC, over all areas of the lounge proposition, so quite an improvement on what we had before there.

You are there at a relatively busy period of the day, and LGW loads this week are higher than normal for some reason, perhaps off the back of that Sale. The half term weeks will be busy but I imagine the mezzanine is a bit quieter at the moment. Thanks for the detailed report!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:50 am

Loo report.

Gents is closed, ladies' appears to be open (obviously not verified).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by internetplumber
Gents is closed, ladies' appears to be open (obviously not verified).
If you're a plumber can't you fix it?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC
The lounge looks good! Can't wait to try it.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes there is Baileys in both lounges.

Essentially it's similar spirits in both, Johnny Blue in First, Red in Club.
Good to see the usual complement of spirits. I feared when looking at the first photo that Cointreau and the Bacardi 8 had been enhanced, but no, they're skulking in the corner
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:15 am

One final comment.

Someone up-thread asked about stairs to the lounge. These are immediately to the right of the desk for the No. 1 lounge. It was certainly possible to come down them from the lounge without an access card, and there were lounge signs in the stairwell, so I think you should be fine.

As I was leaving I did get the impression that someone was being directed back to the temporary lounges, but I could be mistaken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.