Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Review: LGW British Airways First and Club Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver

Index to Genius1 Trip Reports

Back in early 2017, BA switched their operations at London Gatwick from the North to the South Terminal. With the closure of the airline’s long-in-the-tooth First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal came the opportunity of revealing new First and Club lounges in the South Terminal, but not before an interim period of using temporary lounges for several months whilst the new lounges were completed. When they did eventually open in April that year, the new Graven-designed lounges, in step with the Galleries Evolution concept, were widely applauded as an excellent use of space. I visited the ‘new’ lounges for the first time in July 2022, and this is my review of the experience.

The lounge complex is located two floors above gate level, and one level above the upper departure lounge. The main entrance is somewhat difficult to find, sandwiched between two retail units (JD Sports and InMotion at the time of writing) on the upper departure lounge, and then requiring navigation of a number of narrow corridors, culminating in a lift or stairs to the correct floor. There is a ‘fast track’ route to the upper departure lounge level immediately on the left after passing through security (before descending to gate level), but I missed it on this visit. Once on the right floor, it’s a short walk along another narrow corridor to the lounge entrance, oddly placed at right angles to a dead-end walkway.

First Lounge

The First lounge is located to the left of reception and is roughly one quarter of the size of the Club lounge next door. The main seating area of the lounge, and the first that you come to upon entry, is comprised of multiple groups of wing-backed armchairs, interspersed with plenty of side tables, the majority of which have power and USB sockets integrated within them. Unlike the LHR lounges where cushions were removed during the pandemic and have yet to return, there was one on pretty much every chair here. A small number of footstalls are also available, and this area features a wall-mounted TV near the washroom door.

A secondary ‘snug’ seating area is located behind reception, with variations on the same armchair theme as well as some lower armchairs. It’s undeniable that the armchairs within the First lounge (and some of those in the Club lounge) are in the main quite reminiscent of a care home, but whilst they are not the most aesthetically pleasing of pieces, they are quite comfortable.

Washrooms (dedicated to the First lounge, unlike they were in the North Terminal) are located off the main seating area. Amenities are by Elemis. If you fancy a shower, you’ll need to head into the Club lounge.

Continuing along the floor-to-ceiling windows behind reception and the ‘snug’, a marble-topped island bar stands proudly between a back bar and buffet, flanked either side by banquette and high-top table seating, and a coffee station.

At the time of my visit, the buffet only offered limited ambient items (muffins, pastries and whole fruit was available for breakfast, along with crisps, nuts and biscuits), with the majority of options being available via QR menu.

Once it was time for lunch, we opted for a pie and vegan balls, with scones and brownies. As with the LHR lounges, this was just about adequate from a quality perspective. It would have been nice for BA to offer Tiptree jam in a jar to accompany the scones, which would have felt more premium than a plastic tray. It always mystifies me why food would be served on top of a serviette, rendering the serviette completely useless.

Beyond the buffet, further banquette seating is available, adjacent to the Study, which features two tables primarily for those who need to work. A printer is available here.

The view from the lounge is excellent, encompassing the threshold of Runway 26L and Pier 2.

Club Lounge

The Club lounge is located to the right of reception and is set over two floors; the main level and a mezzanine, although the latter hasn’t been open since the pandemic. It’s quite remarkable how BA have kept this space closed, even in the face of unprecedented demand through the second half of 2022. There was a rumour that BA were using the mezzanine as a staff rest space, which is even more bizarre when you think how much BA must be paying in rent for prime lounge real estate.

The first section of the lounge features armchair seating in a traditional row-based layout, below a low ceiling. Showers are accessible through a door to the right of the walkway, and a Study with three communal working tables is tucked away further along the wall.

Moving further into the lounge and between two wine walls, the second double-height section includes banquette seating nooks, high-top tables and a coffee station with biscuits and pastries. Two TVs flank the coffee station. A snug seating area is available below the mezzanine.

The main part of the lounge wraps around the central bar and dining area which uses the majority of the space below the mezzanine. The side closest to the windows is the wider of the two, with the usual mix of armchair and sofa seating, with groups broken up by internally-lit glass screens. There’s another TV located towards the end of this section. If it had been open, the mezzanine (which features sofa, armchair and counter seating and a coffee station) would have been accessible via either a spiral or straight staircase from this area.

The opposite side of the dining area is primarily the main walkway through the lounge, although the designers have still managed to arrange a neat line of café style armchairs through the space. As with the First lounge, most side tables throughout the Club lounge feature power and USB sockets, and the occasional footstall is also available.

The central bar and dining area includes a second coffee station, island bar, back bar, and buffet. Lunch options included salad, sandwiches, soup, four hot main course options and loaf cake.

The far end of the lounge includes some counter seating by the windows, and is where the washrooms and children’s play room can be found, tucked away in the corner.

In keeping with the Galleries nomenclature, artwork is dotted around the walls of both lounges, adding interest to what is in any case a series of colourful and upbeat spaces.

Concluding Thoughts

Whilst they may no longer be at the cutting edge of design, in contrast to the often-packed LHR T5 lounges, LGW’s First and Club lounges are a welcome change, with prompt service in surroundings that are distinctly fresher than their LHR counterparts. The abundance of natural light, expansive views and variety of seating options makes for a very pleasant stay. The First lounge in particular is a haven of peace and tranquillity, even if it’s not so very different in appearance than the Club lounge next door.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:55 am

Thank you for another well written review Genius1!

With comfy chairs, nice and quiet ambiance along with great views if your not a big drinker like me the LGW F lounge looks just as good as the CCR. More food options in the CCR but quality likely similar ?

Along with the good LGW Fasttrack experience compared to Heathrow, Gatwick is quite an appealing option - BA are offering a solid proposition.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:13 pm

Not quite ccr but very very good and I would say views on a par with cathay. As a “lounge”, LGW GF is nicer than Qantas in LAX in my view.
Genius1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Thanks for the review Genius1, very nice!

Mortlach 14 and JW Blue, pretty decent.
Genius1 and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:01 pm

Great review of two very nice lounges. LGW really does offer a nice experience. Just beware if travelling shorthaul never to book row 1… this week I had a flight and gambled on it sticking with an ex-bmi A319… but it got switched and I got booted to the back row again
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
A full breakfast and meal buffet is available now in the flounge, for some time now as I recall, though the QR code menu is still available - you can also get marmite brought to you for breakfast for those of us that way inclined.

The really nice thing about the Gatwick lounges is that the staff are first rate, patient and friendly.
babyg_wc, T8191, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I’m there now and have to agree it’s super. My first time in the First section but it’s so relaxing and quiet with the super staff everyone talks about. The full breakfast was sizeable and well presented plus I was surprised by the number of offerings on the QR menu, although there’s no drinks available via QR ordering. I know it’s early, but there’s only a handful of people and it’s a delight. My only complaint would be the background music, which is a little too ‘pop’ and intrusive. The subtle decorations out for Chinese New Year are a sweet touch :-)
Genius1, SW7London and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
never to book row 1… this week I had a flight and gambled on it sticking with an ex-bmi A319… but it got switched and I got booted to the back row again
Why don’t they put you in row 1 on the new plane? Didn’t realise they did this. I’ve got row 2 booked next month for an ex-BMI plane, and usually wait until row 1 opens up to change…
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
I have to say I think LGW 1st lounge is actually nicer than the one in T5.

It’s got a nicer feel, more cosy & great view down the runway.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by i_concur
Not quite ccr but very very good and I would say views on a par with cathay. As a “lounge”, LGW GF is nicer than Qantas in LAX in my view.
surely the Gatwick lounges are newer than those at terminal five?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Thanks for the review Genius1 . I’ll be using that lounge (Club side) next Saturday for the first time.
Is the “fast track” route signposted, or is it just for those “in the know”?
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bakera
Is the “fast track” route signposted, or is it just for those “in the know”?
Yes it is signposted, and quite clearly too, but I guess many people just follow the main drag to the shopping mall. It's immediately after security, eyes left and you will spot it. along with signs indicating this is the best route for those in wheelchairs.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Why don’t they put you in row 1 on the new plane? Didn’t realise they did this. I’ve got row 2 booked next month for an ex-BMI plane, and usually wait until row 1 opens up to change…
The G-GAT.. planes don’t have seats 1D and 1F so if the OP had booked these seats then that explains the situation
Genius1, Coffeemadman and Confus like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Massive preference for LGW F lounge over LHR - as someone above mentioned the thing that really sets it apart for me (alongside the lack of crowds) is the staff who are warm, friendly and accommodating. A real difference from the harried feeling you get at LHR anywhere other than CCR
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by SxMan
surely the Gatwick lounges are newer than those at terminal five?
I'm struggling to connect this comment to any element of the quoted post or indeed any post in the thread
Yes they are! Is there something suggesting otherwise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.