Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don't think BAEC existed until 1982
Absolutely but that's still only 1k TPs per year for someone who was a prem and the face of BA. While I'm sure she doesn't care about avios, it seems that a prem would be managed/identified through the Exec Club in part, at least some of the time! (Gold is 4F returns per year, and largely pointless for her - I'm just sure it'd have happened anyway, even if she flies less now.)
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cymro
Absolutely but that's still only 1k TPs per year for someone who was a prem and the face of BA. While I'm sure she doesn't care about avios, it seems that a prem would be managed/identified through the Exec Club in part, at least some of the time! (Gold is 4F returns per year, and largely pointless for her - I'm just sure it'd have happened anyway, even if she flies less now.)
I don't disagree with you, just pointing out how long she has been flying with BA for!

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
It's really a case of DYKWIUTB. Do you know who I used to be???????
maxandclaude2000 and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm not sure whether Premiers used to earn tier points, and whether her flying would have counted towards GfL whilst Premier.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:55 pm

DYKWIA family from hell on LAX>LHR WT+ the other day. I was in 61J. The dad was in 61K, and the mum in 60E, with the two kids either side. To be fair, the kids were fine - a bit loud to begin with but asleep very quickly. It was the parents that gave me all the headaches.

I boarded after them and proceeded to put my bag into the empty space above my seat. "Err, excuse me," piped up Wifey, "I was about to put my daughter's bag there." She'd already filled the bin above center 60 on my side of the plane - presumably, the other center bin on the opposite side (still above seats her family was assigned) was too far for Madam to travel? In any case, I was very British about it and moved my bag to the bin behind, which felt awkward because I didn't want to deprive the pax behind me. But they were already seated, so I guess made alternate arrangements.

When I sit down, she starts barking to Hubby: "We can't do this, it's unbearable. We need to do 2-and-2 next time." It's only then I realize Hubby is the dude next to me. "Do you want me to sit with the girls?" he asks. "No," she snaps back. I quietly turn to him to offer to swap so he can at least be closer to his family. I'm an aisle guy, but whatever. He declines, possibly because he's stuffed every inch of his side storage bins, but fair enough.

Wifey starts up a conversation with the couple in Club 59J&K. "We usually book up there but thought this would be better with the kids. It's outrageous we can't get 2-and-2 seats together, BA really slacking" etc. "We asked for the seat next to my husband but it was taken and they wouldn't give it to us," she says, in full earshot of me, who booked it perfectly legitimately (it's not even a bassinet seat). Put upon Hubby then has to deal with her complaining about *everything*. "The bulkhead is no good for the blow-up pouffe" (no, really - she had previously told club couple that their status meant that, at least, they could book the bulkhead seats), "the seats don't recline far enough", "I'm uncomfortable". Throughout the flight, she slips through the curtain in front of her to use the Club bathrooms, even after one aborted attempt, obviously rebuffed by the FAs, where she comes back with a sour look on her face, and stares down the aisle at the shared WT+/WT bathroom like she's being dispatched to Mordor. Another complaint to Hubby, who largely ignores them all in a kind of, "... am I supposed to do about any of this?" fashion.

Don't think he's free from blame in this situation though. I'm generally averse to peering over at my single serving friend's goings-on, but shortly before take-off I'm distracted by white noise emanating from his phone and turn to see him watching videos he's surreptitiously shot of women in hot pants and leggings on the streets of LA. Not just one video, mind... multiples, all creepily taken while the women clearly weren't looking. It slowly dawns on me I've got 10+ hours sat next to this specimen. In his case, not so much DYKWIA but rather DYKHowCreepyIAm.

I'd recommend one of them a good divorce lawyer, but I honestly don't know which one is the innocent party. (Also I don't know any divorce lawyers)
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:22 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Until the penultimate paragraph, I was feeling quite sorry for the husband.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:27 pm

So was I!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:08 pm

Gosh, I don't envy your experience.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
BA's twitter reply does say the TA didn't properly input her title, so yes, it sounds like it was a TA booking.
She had better stick with BAEC as they are pretty much the only airline that allows these titles. Not seen any others that have a similar choice.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Sounds like the husband and wife are evenly matched in the 'jerk' stakes.
(I tried to think of a word in English but all I came up with was American )
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by exmachina
... I quietly turn to him to offer to swap so he can at least be closer to his family. I'm an aisle guy, but whatever. He declines,

see him watching videos he's surreptitiously shot of women in hot pants and leggings on the streets of LA...
Now we know why he declined.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Sounds like the husband and wife are evenly matched in the 'jerk' stakes.
(I tried to think of a word in English but all I came up with was American )
Jerk Steaks? Delicious with an ice cold Red Stripe
missdimeaner and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
She had better stick with BAEC as they are pretty much the only airline that allows these titles. Not seen any others that have a similar choice.
have a look at Lufthansa, I am Prof Dr there
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
have a look at Lufthansa, I am Prof Dr there
Do they also have Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. on offer?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
SQ, has the full suite of titles from HM down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.