Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    "Continually?" Once btw.
    Really. Try twice in the last 4/5 pages and you might be getting there.

UK labour law specifically forbids the withdrawal of services outside of the UK? Interesting (if true). Are you a labour lawyer or do you have any information to back that up?
    Likely Section 234A, then? I don't see any prohibition there, but then again I'm not a UK lawyer. Are you?
    Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:01 pm

I am not asking anyyone to predict what will happen with my specific flights. I am requesting practical advice if I am confronted with a flight that is cancelled because of a cabin crew strike.

I arrive at Heathrow (LHR) from the eastern USA on an AA flight that also has a BA flight number. I am scheduled to connect to Prague (PRG) on a BA flight that also has an AA flight number. Eleven days later, I return to LHR from Budapest (BUD) on a BA flight that also has an AA flight number. My return transatlantic flight is 8 days after my return to LHR.

If I arrive at LHR and my PRG flight is cancelled, or if I arrive at BUD and my flight to LHR is cancelled, what is the best way to proceed? Do I ask the tour company that booked my flights to rebook me or do I wait patiently for British Airways to announce what alternative is being offered to the passengers? Is it appropriate to request a meal voucher?

All practical advice is welcomed.

Thank you.
    Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by stususs
    I am not asking anyyone to predict what will happen with my specific flights. I am requesting practical advice if I am confronted with a flight that is cancelled because of a cabin crew strike.

I arrive at Heathrow (LHR) from the eastern USA on an AA flight that also has a BA flight number. I am scheduled to connect to Prague (PRG) on a BA flight that also has an AA flight number. Eleven days later, I return to LHR from Budapest (BUD) on a BA flight that also has an AA flight number. My return transatlantic flight is 8 days after my return to LHR.

If I arrive at LHR and my PRG flight is cancelled, or if I arrive at BUD and my flight to LHR is cancelled, what is the best way to proceed? Do I ask the tour company that booked my flights to rebook me or do I wait patiently for British Airways to announce what alternative is being offered to the passengers? Is it appropriate to request a meal voucher?

All practical advice is welcomed.

Thank you.
    Cancelled flights are usually announced several days in advance giving you ample opportunity to reroute or take an earlier/later flight. In the very unlikely event of a late cancellation, BA will rerouted you t your destination.
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, BAEC
    I’d really appreciate some reassurance from regulars and folk more knowledgeable than me.

I am flying NCL > LHR > MSY on 3rd July then ORD > LHR > NCL on 14th July

By my reckoning the only flight potentially at risk is the ORD to LHR leg which is fine as it’s the journey home and I’m not so fussed.

I have flight choice either side of my NCL flight which is OK but I need to be on that LHR > MSY leg. I know they announce cancellations in advance and to be honest I can just drive down to Heathrow for the main flight, the NCL > LHR leg is the only one I’m a bit nervy about.

Please someone tell me I’m worrying about nothing!

LL
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:49 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by LadyLuck
    I’d really appreciate some reassurance from regulars and folk more knowledgeable than me.

I am flying NCL > LHR > MSY on 3rd July then ORD > LHR > NCL on 14th July

By my reckoning the only flight potentially at risk is the ORD to LHR leg which is fine as it’s the journey home and I’m not so fussed.

I have flight choice either side of my NCL flight which is OK but I need to be on that LHR > MSY leg. I know they announce cancellations in advance and to be honest I can just drive down to Heathrow for the main flight, the NCL > LHR leg is the only one I’m a bit nervy about.

Please someone tell me I’m worrying about nothing!

LL
    The NCL route is operated by Euro Fleet and not Mixed Fleet. It shouldn't be affected.
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    Er,

"We have seen on many occasions with BA strikes that their unions are indeed not the brightest, and either get poor legal advice or choose not to follow it."

???

There have only been 2 sets of strikes that I can think of in the last 30 years.
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:01 am

what would you do - holiday 1st July?

Does anyone know when BA likely to announce plans for 1st July as due to fly ABZ-LHR-YVR both mixed fleet routes for family holiday? ABZ-LHR has 4 rotations on a Saturday and has had cancellations during previous strikes. It's also first day of Scottish school holidays so expect flights to be busy. We'd fly down night before as contingency but guess as not cancelled flights yet they'd want to charge to do this as don't have flexible tickets. Are we at their mercy until confirm flights? If flight is still scheduled is there much danger gets cancelled on the day as crew don't turn up which would be nightmare as need to be in Canada on the 1st? Getting twitchy!!!!
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
    Are we maybe seeing some tactical cancellations already? Noticed when booking flights some later in the evening ABZ/EDI-LHR flights are already sold out and zeroed out on expert flyer. Yes, they could genuinely be sold out but odd it is the flights at night and ones which had many seats the other day. Any thoughts?
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
    Mmmm looking at 9th July to/from Aberdeen, there are 2 sold out flights in each direction but they don't appear to be linked rotations. E.g. 1316 sold out, return 1317 still selling...
    Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:57 pm
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As the QR wet lease discussion was being covered in two different threads, this sub story has been streamed into the other thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-strikes.html

Prospero
    Moderator: BA forum
    Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
    When flying on AA flight number but operated by BA. If the flight is cancelled who will be working on my reservation to find me another alternative for the cancelled flight: BA or AA and who I should contact to demand fixing up the mess that I will be in while traveling overseas?
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:43 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
    Flying to IAD during the strike in First. Will First service be reduced like it was during at least one of the prior strikes? What compensation can I expect?
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:58 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    If it operates at all it will be a normal service as it's a WW route.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:05 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by Alanso2
    Does anyone know when BA likely to announce plans for 1st July as due to fly ABZ-LHR-YVR both mixed fleet routes for family holiday?
    Delayed greetings to the forum Alanso2. It's good to see you here on the BA forum and I do hope you can continue to play an active part here.

There is probably a standard message for all similar queries of this sort:
    - Precise changes will be announced between 3 and 1 day(s) before travel
    - Usually this will allow people to rebook travel (or get a refund)
    - Until that time it is impossible to be sure which flights will be affected, other than it's typically/mainly MF services and only to/from LHR.
    - Shorthaul is at more risk than longhaul, however BA have committed to ensuring all passengers will be able to get to their destination.
    - if the outbound from London operated, then the inbound to London will almost certainly operate.

What can you do now?
    - By all means consider whether going earlier/later will be best and which services will work for you.
    - Check your email address + SMS number is up to date
    - Check Flight Status on BA.com / Information - the best source of precise information, if a service is cancelled it goes red there.
    - Check Manage My Booking (however this may lag Flight Status)
    - Keep an eye on this thread.

What you probably can't do?
    - Rebook alternative flights off your own bat, unless the cancellation fees work to cover it either way (so typically one or both flights are refundable)
    - Find out anything more precise more than 3 days away from travel.
    - Read too much into services which appear to be sold out or with zero'd availability.

If it is not a MF route, there is no real point getting concerned at all - see Wiki above to find these routes. If it's longhaul I wouldn't be too concerned. If it's shorthaul then you may be early/late but it will probably work out. If it's shorthaul connecting to longhaul then the stakes are a bit higher but it's probably less fretful than a windy day at Heathrow.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:11 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    ... There is probably a standard message for all similar queries of this sort:
    Excellent advice there, as always. Perhaps that post should be included at the top of the Wiki?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.