Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Customer Service Blunder: Wrongly Charged Phone Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler

I booked an AS metal Avios award and the agent wrongly charged me the $25 fee which should be waived since AS is not accessible on the website. I immediately called back, and spoke to someone who sounded really annoyed that I didn't catch the mistake, and acted as if it was my fault. After being snippy with me, she said she would do me a one time courteousy of refunding me the fee. Oh wow how gracious of you to follow policy, I thought at the time.

Fast forward to 6 weeks later. I received no refund. I follow up with BA refunds department who told me travel already completed and no refund would be issued. I sent emails to all their customer service channels and got absolutely no where, and no response. I even disputed the $25 charge with my bank, who sided with the airline.

I am in utter disbelief that something so little could go so wrong. Does BA have any customer service that actually addresses and responds to you? Does anyone have a contact at BA who would be willing to help?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The charge is correct as per policy.

The phone service fee should only be waived where the functionality exists for booking something online but due to a temporary issue it cannot be done. The functionality to book AS awards on BA.com does not exist, so a service charge should apply. Some agents do however waive the fee.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:03 am

I think you're mistaken. The fact it is not accessible on the website isn't grounds for waiving the fee.

The fee is waived when the functionality offered on the website isn't working, not when it's not possible in the first place.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I have booked probably 30+ awards using Avios on Alaska Airlines over the phone (which your agents call Alaskan) because it is not possible to book online, and I have never been charged a fee before.

One time an agent insisted on charging me the fee and I told him to call a supervisor and it was rectified and purged. You BA members may not be familiar with this because you don't often book Alaska awards living in Europe.

I have posed this question to bloggers, and those familiar with booking AS awards: a service centre fee is not suppose to be assessed.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
You BA members may not be familiar with this because you don't often book Alaska awards living in Europe.

I have posed this question to bloggers, and those familiar with booking AS awards: a service centre fee is not suppose to be assessed.
Those bloggers are wrong - BA's policy is to disapply the fee only if the feature should be available online but does not work. However, badly trained agents could easily be persuaded otherwise, or they did not apply the fee as a goodwill gesture. Its most likely that BA agents are being told to more strictly apply the rule.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have booked probably 30+ awards using Avios on Alaska Airlines over the phone (which your agents call Alaskan) because it is not possible to book online, and I have never been charged a fee before.

One time an agent insisted on charging me the fee and I told him to call a supervisor and it was rectified and purged. You BA members may not be familiar with this because you don't often book Alaska awards living in Europe.
The plural of anecdote is not fact.

The BA policy is that the service fee is charged. This is as per the official BA FT rep.
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post17514113

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Booking fees
  • With Alaska Air still a partner, but NEVER searchable on ba.com (it is available on aa.com, but I digress) Will the $30 phone booking fee be waived for us flying from YVR to the West Coast?

Unfortunately you will not be able to book Alaska Air online for the foreseeable future. We do always try to put partner reward bookings online but unfortunately we have had the odd technical glitch with one or two of our partners. A fee will apply for any bookings made offline except if you are a Gold member.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
The plural of anecdote is not fact.

The BA policy is that the service fee is charged. This is as per the official BA FT rep.
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post17514113
Well this makes absolutely zero sense. It's not available any other way but by calling British airways on the phone, and thereby forcing you to pay a fee. Uhhh... blackmail anyone?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:17 am

It's not blackmail. It's paying for a service that you are using.

Until such time as BA policy on this changes, be grateful that many times agents will agree to waive the fee as a goodwill gesture.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Sounds like you've been lucky in not being charged for these 30+ 'blunders'.
... your agents ...
Whose agents? FTers may try to help but are none in this thread is BA.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I booked an AS redemption recently and was not charged the booking fee.

I didn't ask for it to be waived (in fact I had forgotten about the policy to charge it), and the agent didn't mention it either.

In this case it was a case of YMMV, the whole thing was so cheap, paying the booking fee wasn't a huge deal anyway if it had been charged.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well this makes absolutely zero sense. It's not available any other way but by calling British airways on the phone, and thereby forcing you to pay a fee. Uhhh... blackmail anyone?
Now it is blackmail because it is a correctly applied? The partners available to be booked on BA.com is clearly listed. The award, change, cancellation and service fees are also clearly listed.
The one thing that I don't think is published is the phone service fee waiver, so in fact you should expect to pay it every time even if there is an issue with BA.com.

Do you consider the very high award cancellation/redeposit fees charged by some (mainly US) airlines blackmail as well?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I've had to pay a fee to AA when booking an award that I can't do online.

I wish I didn't have to, but then I have choice to book and pay or not book.

Sounds like you have benefited a lot in the past, so I would quietly forget the charge. of course BA might read this topic and ensure that no further agents forget having realised they are missing out on several $25's
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yeah on second thought I've been charged every time it's not an issue. Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As noted on the AS thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nes-avios.html

The £15/US$25 offline award charge should be charged in line with BA policy, but there have been reports of agents waiving fees. However, more recent reports suggest the offline fee is now embedded in the total cash charge so does not seem to be waivable. This would means that even if the agent was so inclined, the phone charge cannot be waived.
Perhaps your animosity is better directed at the "bloggers" who are unable to give accurate advise and information.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:44 am

Yeah on second thought I've been charged every time it's not an issue. Thanks
Slight overreaction then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.