Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
What is my entitlement for a cancelled flight, downgraded next day? Cancellation compensation, downgrade compensation, ORC. Is it all 3 elements?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Missing Tier Points Due to Strike

I had a booking which started on 9/9 - MAN/LHR/DFW/OKC/HOU/DFW/AUS/LHR/MAN - booked through corporate TA on AA.

The first sector, MAN to LHR was cancelled due to the strike and was merely dropped from the overall itinerary. No big deal I just had to make my own way to LHR which I sometimes do anyway but am pushing for GGL list this year and am trying to maximise TP earning...

I submitted for ORC for the missing 40TP MAN/LHR but they declined the claim, I then called the gold line and they are advising that because I didnt take the flight I am not entitled to the TP or Avios which I think is wrong, surely the missing TPs should be credited given they are only missing due to the BAS cancellation... Am I wrong here?

On a side note, I also submitted a claim for the train fare from my home in Staffordshire to LHR and a taxi home from MAN on my return given that I couldn't use my car (or get a lift to MAN as per my original plan) which has also been rejected. Am I out of line expecting BA to cover the additional costs incurred due to their strike and them cancelling my first leg? Their rejection suggests that I take this up with my travel insurance company.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Just noting that after another follow-up, BA has credited the points for my AUH-LHR on Etihad. The highlight was a (template) email from BAEC chiding me that if I input my BAEC number into the booking, I will receive tier points in the future. Cheers for the helpful guidance.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Reasonably quick service in my opinion. Submitted complaint 22/9/19 . Cancellation compensation agreed 27/9/19 (5 days), ORC posted 30/9/19 (8 days). Now waiting for downgrade compensation which I expect will be more of a battle but Have my calculation on spreadsheet based on best estimates for costs with BA Holidays.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:16 am

UPDATE - submitted on Sept 13th and finally had everything credited today, including the eligible flight needed to retain OWS next year.
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
In October we had flights booked SEA PHX LAS on American Airlines. When we arrived at the airport we found our flight to PHX was going to be 7 hours late and as we would miss our connection AA wanted to rebook us on a direct flight SEA LAS on Alaskan Airlines, which we accepted.
Over 2 weeks ago I called BA to ask if and how we could claim the missing avios and tier points.
I sent all the information copies of boarding passes etc through BA missing avios. As we haven't heard anything I called today to check if our claim had gone through okay. They haven't had any response from AA but thought our claim will most likely be declined, but advised I should wait another 2 weeks.
Reading all the information in this thread it looks to us that we should be able to make the claim but am I missing something. Does it make a difference that AA asked our permission to rebook us. Did we then lose any rights to claim avios?
Would it be more sensible to chase Alaskan Airlines for avios?

Last edited by Light Travellers; Nov 14, 2019 at 7:52 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Light Travellers
Would it be more sensible to chase Alaskan Airlines for avios?
Your best bet would be to send a PM on here to BAMissingAvios.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:48 pm
iDo

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, HHonors Gold.
Was on my way back to LHR from PHX and my flight via BOS to LHR got delayed and caused a misconnect and was booked on an AA direct flight to LHR.

Would have ended up on 1,585 TP now stuck on 1,425.

I know I can request ORC but conscious my end of year is 8th Dec and know the ORC can take a few weeks to sort, if not longer. Am I best to ask for a extension and cross my fingers that the TP post or take a quick return to ensure the extra 80 TP as a safety net. I can see some LGW/AMS flights prior to the 8/12 for ~£140 before Avios discounts
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by iDo
Was on my way back to LHR from PHX and my flight via BOS to LHR got delayed and caused a misconnect and was booked on an AA direct flight to LHR.

Would have ended up on 1,585 TP now stuck on 1,425.

I know I can request ORC but conscious my end of year is 8th Dec and know the ORC can take a few weeks to sort, if not longer. Am I best to ask for a extension and cross my fingers that the TP post or take a quick return to ensure the extra 80 TP as a safety net. I can see some LGW/AMS flights prior to the 8/12 for ~£140 before Avios discounts
The ORC should be backdated to the date of your flight so you should not need to do anything in relation to your year end (assuming that you receive the ORC of course). I would recommend you send a private message to BAMissingAvios. I suspect you'll find it resolved well before your tier point collection end date.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:59 am
iDo

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, HHonors Gold.
Originally Posted by golfmad
The ORC should be backdated to the date of your flight so you should not need to do anything in relation to your year end (assuming that you receive the ORC of course). I would recommend you send a private message to BAMissingAvios. I suspect you'll find it resolved well before your tier point collection end date.
Thank you for the advice. I will message BAMissingAvios shortly.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Wondering if anyone has any experience in gaining ORC from Finnair please?

I was booked on a flight from HKG-HEL which was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice due to a strike by Helsinki Airport workers. AY to their credit re-routed me fairly quickly through Moscow on Aeroflot. I'd put my BA number against the original booking, and the tier points would have got me to gold given the other flights I have left to take this year.

I messaged the very helpful BAMissingAvios on here with all the details, and they've replied saying that they're unable to credit my account as AY does not award avios for my original flight. They've said if I would like to query this further to contact AY.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and can offer any advice please?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Just in case anyone is checking here to see how long AA can take to credit ORC after being rerouted. It took just over 5 weeks to receive our credit. I'm sure our experience isn't general and most claims are faster but hopefully the information might be helpful to someone else.
If I hadn't read FT in the first place we wouldn't have know it was possible to claim. Thank you to everyone that has put so much time and work into this thread.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Anyone know what the situation is regarding ORC in the case that a flight would normally accrue extra Avios due to a promotion?

In my case I had a re-routing onto a *A carrier (cancellation of the BA LHR-PKX flight) - the booking was ticketed directly by BA, so I am confident I can claim ORC for the flight, just not sure whether I should be expecting the extra Avios that I would receiving from the "Double Avios" promotion (already posted for the other three flights in this itinerary). Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:44 am

Hi all,

Summary: Am I likely to get Original Routing Credit? I did a AA TP run for credit to BAEC, but there were IRROPS. I’m unsure whether I’ll get the Original Routing Credit, despite asking for the trip not to be dealt with as ‘trip in vain’.

My situation
I took some flights for a US-based mileage run to get me to Gold a couple of months early:

The routing was supposed to be DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-PHL-DCA all in I class on AA metal (so 40 TPs each, totalling 240 TP overall which is more than enough to get me to just over 1500 TP).

However, the plane for the second flight (PHL-CLT) got diverted due to smoke in the air traffic control tower in CLT. Understandably, we diverted and ended up in GSO, Usually, would be fine but we ended up on a four hour on tarmac because the crew went out of hours - and the airport wasn’t well-equipped for the plane type (we shouldn’t have landed there: We diverted to GSO after CLT had reopened because of the residual delays in air traffic: the Captain told us we’d be down in GSO and up within 30 minutes - but clearly hadn’t accounted for the crew going out of hours).

Nonetheless, I got to CLT and had missed my connection CLT-RDU-CLT-PHL-DCA. There were no other options for that day for that routing so I suggested that they get me to my eventual destination (DCA). They wanted to put this down as a ‘trip in vain’ but I asked them to not do that because I wanted to get the mileage for the whole journey: I was still going to my destination (DCA) which just happened to be my origin point. If my destination had been somewhere else then I would have asked to have been routed through to that final destination instead, rather than getting sent back to DCA.

I’ve requested Original Routing Credit (ORC) for the whole journey as I don’t want to organise another TP run. If only the flights I flew credit then I’ll be 65 short which I can do quickly in early March but I don’t want to have to do that given that I am hoping ORC will be for the entire journey.

I got tweets from AA stating that they’d credit the full itinerary but I foolishly didn’t write down the full itinerary when asking so it is dubious as to what ‘the itinerary’ is! I also had the rebooking agent append a note onto the booking stating that my accrual would not be affected due to IRROPS (the agent even kindly printed it out!). I just don’t trust the system to credit everything.

My question:
Any ideas if it is likely that I’ll get ORC? I’m mostly asking to see whether I should start booking two short flights in early March. I have some Y flights between UK and US in April and May where the Gold Benefits would be really handy. (3 Suitcases bags for AA, for instance; CX First Lounge In LHR T3 and BA GF in LHR T5; AA LHR Arrivals lounge), I’d qualify based on those flights alone but wanted to get the status early to use it on those flights, rather than just earning it on those flights.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Mar 1, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I was still going to my destination (DCA) which just happened to be my origin point.
This is a line that should go down in FlyerTalk folklore!

This is a somewhat unusual situation. If it was considered a trip in vain, you will have received a refund or credit or some other form of compensation. If not there I see no reason why ORC should not apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.