Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I’m not sure if this is normal so thought I would ask. I have submitted a ORC claim for 2 AA flights re-routed on 1 BA flight direct.

BA has acknowledged the claim and is asking AA. However, they have just removed my TPs and Avios for the re-routed BA flight without any sign of the 2 AA flights crediting.

I thought this was normal when they apply the ORC but do they do this even when the ORC hasn’t been processed?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by dycc
I’m not sure if this is normal so thought I would ask. I have submitted a ORC claim for 2 AA flights re-routed on 1 BA flight direct.

BA has acknowledged the claim and is asking AA. However, they have just removed my TPs and Avios for the re-routed BA flight without any sign of the 2 AA flights crediting.

I thought this was normal when they apply the ORC but do they do this even when the ORC hasn’t been processed?
Honestly I don't know with certainty as I've not had this exact situation previously. I would assume that you'll end up with the AA credits shortly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:30 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ptr120
in vein
in vain
I momentarily thought you were going to Wien
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was delayed by weather in Washington in the middle of August. DCA-JFK-LHR-HEL-ARN all booked in business, eventually became DCA-BOS-LHR-ARN, with the DCA-BOS leg downgraded to economy. The rebooking of the LHR-HEL-ARN to LHR-ARN was done by AA whilst I was in Washington, I received an email that morning as I headed for the airport. I was rebooked more than once, as the initial delay extended and I missed initially rebooked flight LHR-BOS too. Very impressed with AA and how they tried to sort what was a widespread problem affecting many people. When in the lounge back in LHR I tried to reinstate LHR-HEL-ARN as the rebooked ARN direct flight was so much later I was losing more time, and having to spend it just killing time in the lounge. Rebooking not possible as availability disappeared.

I followed the email route suggested in this thread, but so far it seems an incredibly haphazard process. I received a response and a reference number. Answered the questions asked. Nothing after a couple of weeks so sent a follow up email. Received a it takes time response, no problem. A few days later received an email saying documentation was necessary, this via a new sender email address with a new case reference number. Responded with copies of boarding passes and an itinerary printed in the DCA lounge by AA. Got a response about the flight downgraded to economy saying we're asking AA. This after almost a month. Replied again saying fine, what about the LHR-HEL leg, received a response saying that was credited and is showing in my account, it's not and I checked again to be sure. What a muddled mess, surely they waste their own time and money on doing things so poorly. A refusal is one thing, but the complete misunderstanding or just plain unwillingness to understand, and incorrect responses just create more work for both sides.

I sholdn't care as the Avios are trivial, the TP not meaningful, I'll make gold and won't make anything more than gold so not really needed. But they really ought to have a better process. I should stop, but you get sucked into the pointless exchanges and can't help yourself. A bit like the seat is rubbish threads
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would like to say that having BAMissingAvios on FT is amazing and really makes one's life easier, especially when it comes to things like getting original routing credit.
:-: Gold star!
golfmad, crazyarmadillo and Flip42 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
What happens if a flight cancellation (assuming a Boarding Pass is issued) is so severe that it causes abandonment of the journey? Leaving aside the EU 261 liability discussion, do BA offer ORC for the leg that was checked-in given that the lack of travel was entirely at the airline's control?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
What happens if a flight cancellation (assuming a Boarding Pass is issued) is so severe that it causes abandonment of the journey? Leaving aside the EU 261 liability discussion, do BA offer ORC for the leg that was checked-in given that the lack of travel was entirely at the airline's control?
According to the policy, no.

EDIT: just to add this is the relevant part of the terms and conditions (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions):

14.6. Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by British Airways onto another carrier, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Avios points, the Member may still claim such Avios points online at Ba.com. British Airways will endeavour to ensure the Member's account is credited with the appropriate Avios points however it may be necessary for details of the Member's itinerary, including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipts to be sent to the Member's Local Service Centre in order to claim any Avios points credit.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:36 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:04 am

That paragraph doesn't specify the requirement of travel on the other carrier's flight...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:12 am

That paragraph doesn't specify the requirement of travel on the other carrier's flight...
Sorry, not sure I understand. what do you mean? I understood your question to be your whole booking was abandoned and you were not re-booked on to another carrier?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:12 am

So your point is that the paragraph is silent on the question and only promises points under the specific instance of rerouting. In my case I was automatically rebooked onto an unsuitable alternative flight.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:21 am

So your point is that the paragraph is silent on the question and only promises points under the specific instance of rerouting. In my case I was automatically rebooked onto an unsuitable alternative flight.
Ah I see now what your point is. You didn't mention you were rebooked but that the rebooked flights were unsuitable and you therefore cancelled the trip. I don't see how ORC applies, ORC is for when you are rerouted and would otherwise lose out as the flights you take on the rerouting earn fewer TPs and avios that you would have got with the booking you originally made. In your case you decided to abandon the trip completely and took no flights. By all means apply if you want to, but I am not sure I seem much chance of success.

Presumably you got a full refund of the fare? I am not sure you can cancel a trip (albeit not your choice here), and get a full refund, and get all the TPs and avios as well.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Is it still the case that is easier to ask for ORC on a BA ticket compared to an AA ticket?

I ask because I am planning a trip prone to risk of IRROPS, and the route's BA fare* I found on ITA Matrix can be "transferred" via Powertoos to AA booking engine, but not BA (BA.com gives back the usual no route/flights error), so I am debating if it's better going the easy way ticketing with AA... or the PITA of trying by phone with BA as I really need all the TPs I can have.

*almost all EU and TATL flights under BA codes, US domestic under AA codes
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Lefly
Is it still the case that is easier to ask for ORC on a BA ticket compared to an AA ticket?
Yes.

You will have to approach BA for ORC. If it's a BA ticket it can be dealt with by BA directly. If it's an AA ticket then BA have to contact AA to investigate and award the ORC.
Lefly likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thank you.
Then, PITA will be... maybe I can try at the airport before the phone way, even if the ticketing desk has contract staff?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Lefly
Thank you.
Then, PITA will be... maybe I can try at the airport before the phone way, even if the ticketing desk has contract staff?
Ask for ORC at the airport? No, I wouldn't bother with that, the airport staff don't really have any control over BAEC, especially not contract staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.