Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 10:53 am

Hi all,

Relatively minor question for a set of AA flights, crediting to BAEC which I’m still planning to take right now (will reassess nearer the time).

I’ve got an DCA-ORD-JFK coming up on AA in I Class (so 40 tier points each... i.e. 80 tier points), If AA do a flight schedule change ahead of time (i.e., a month or two early) to DCA-JFK then can I still contact BAEC for the Original Routing Credit? (I.e., 80 tier points). I imagine that only 40 tier points will automatically credit, but I’m interested in the 80 tier points if possible.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Simon
Old May 16, 2020, 11:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Only flights you actually take will credit so you are right there.

ORC is really for IRROPS changes on the day and not schedule changes some time before travel.

In the event of changes you are free to ask AA for a reroute, have a look at what would earn the same TPs and then call AA to ask. You are not obliged to accept what is offered.
golfmad likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:28 am

I am assuming that legs of a journey that were rebooked onto Lufthansa don't count for ORC? BA stopped running LHR-FRA, and I was rebooked a week or so beforehand - it wasn't an IRROPS change. I've taken the flights, but every Avios/TP helps…
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by squawk
I am assuming that legs of a journey that were rebooked onto Lufthansa don't count for ORC? BA stopped running LHR-FRA, and I was rebooked a week or so beforehand - it wasn't an IRROPS change. I've taken the flights, but every Avios/TP helps…
It’s worth a go in my opinion. Worst that happens is they say no.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
They should credit this, certainly pre-pandemic it happened. I've had quite a few Avios off flying with VS in my time. [And should you have deployed your M&M account along the way, that's OK too].
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
It’s worth a go in my opinion. Worst that happens is they say no.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They should credit this, certainly pre-pandemic it happened. I've had quite a few Avios off flying with VS in my time. [And should you have deployed your M&M account along the way, that's OK too].
Thank you dylanks and corporate-wage-slave for this advice.

I filled in the online form last week, and was credited for the outbound flight this morning. A brief email drawing attention to the return flight (I had included both details on the form but guess it was overlooked) resulted in the remaining Avios and TP appearing within an hour or two. Bank credit in my favour of 10TP and 750 Avios. Every little helps!

Re M&M, I used my TAP Miles and Go account (I used this for lounge access, taking advantage of the recent offer, as limited as lounges currently are). I know one can in theory put multiple loyalty schemes on a booking, but I didn't fancy wrangling with this with so much else going on at the moment. Need to figure out what I'll do with the TAP miles, but that's a problem for another day!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Hi All

I have had an upcoming CE flight to Sweden cancelled due to Covid. If I understand correctly, I can still claim ORC for a cancelled flight and I should wait until the flight date has passed before requesting an ORC. Is that correct?

cheers
JRC
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:39 am

Hi. You need to take some flights for ORC, it is really there for when a flight gets cancelled on the day and you get re-routed either on a lower earning routing or on non oneworld flights. If you get a cancellation notification beforehand then generally no ORC regardless of whether you end up choosing to cancel & refund or to rebook.

What are you wanting to do? Refund or rebook?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:47 am

We don't have a choice to rebook as it's for a wedding and no other options really available. I read up the thread that ORC was given for strikes. Why would this be any different?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jrc999
We don't have a choice to rebook as it's for a wedding and no other options really available. I read up the thread that ORC was given for strikes. Why would this be any different?
Yes I think when people were rebooked on non earning airlines, not when they just did a cancellation and full refund.

I think it would be very generous of BA if they not only did a full refund when your flight was cancelled, but also gave you all the TPs and avios - would probably provide for a typical FT type scheme where people kept booking flights they expected to cancel
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jrc999
You may be able to have the loss of TPs considered if you were close to reaching a tier point threshold in your current year. You won't be seeing the points in your account and unlike ORC they won't credit toward your lifetime totals.
KARFA and jrc999 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
You may be able to have the loss of TPs considered if you were close to reaching a tier point threshold in your current year. You won't be seeing the points in your account and unlike ORC they won't credit toward your lifetime totals.
This was my thinking - didn't expect any Avios, but was looking for the TPs as flying is going to be basically impossible this year!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:24 am

In that case, keep a note of cancelled bookings and potential TPs due. When you get to the end of your membership year and if you happen to be short of a threshold on the basis of these cancelled bookings, they may take them in to account and give you whatever status level you have missed out on renewing if those cancelled flight would have done it. You would have to contact BA at the time of renewal to ask for this, some have reported success.
jrc999 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I was booked on a Qatar flight with a BA flight number from BNE-DOH. On the day of travel the flight was cancelled and I was rerouted BNE-SYD-DOH but on QR flight numbers. As a result I earnt significantly less avios due to it being a QR flight number and not a BA. Would I be able to claim original routing credit?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi, I have a booking SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX rtn and the HEL-JFK flight has been cancelled by BA, and as far as I can see it is due to the flight HEL-JFK time change. If I rebooked SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX, would I be able to claim the 80 TP and the avios for the LHR-HEL sector under the ORC scheme?
Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.