Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The problem BA and others has is that leisure fares thanks to the low cost carriers have had to remain low in order for BA to compete. So I can imagine there could come a time when it's not feasible to offer all benefits to status members flying on those fares.
Indeed. It is a competitive market. An Easyjet passenger paying £50 with no lounge access vs a BA passenger paying £50 and quaffing £15 worth of champagne in the lounge (well, once the LGW lounge is back up and running).

Don't forget BA aren't shy of making radical changes regarding lounge access - it was only a few years ago they barred lounge access if you weren't flying BA.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Inspired by another thread I wonder how this affects us silly foreigners... If the 'middle fare' become much more expensive, flying via LHR becomes very unattractive for us. HBO is only offered on direct routes.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Indeed. It is a competitive market. An Easyjet passenger paying £50 with no lounge access vs a BA passenger paying £50 and quaffing £15 worth of champagne in the lounge (well, once the LGW lounge is back up and running).
Yes, that has been argued here before...but lounge access is by virtue of status (i.e. previous spending) not of the ticket that you hold.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Is that because you actually check in a bag, or do you still buy non-HBO even when you're planning to travel HBO? That would certainly put you in a very small minority even among FTers, I would think.
I do normally check in a bag, but not always. I like being able to choose my seat and for the sake of a small premium the ability to check in 64kg of luggage is helpful!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Yes, that has been argued here before...but lounge access is by virtue of status (i.e. previous spending) not of the ticket that you hold.
Tell that to all the status holders who had earned their status through previous spend and then couldn't use the lounges any more when they flew Easyjet.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Tell that to all the status holders who had earned their status through previous spend and then couldn't use the lounges any more when they flew Easyjet.
Open Doors was a Gold benefit and was never intended for the situation that transpired at LGW. In the main it allowed a GCH to use the BA lounge when flying (perhaps domestically in a foreign land) to somewhere BA didn't even serve.

However, when EasyJet purchased GB, they had a large number of flights in the North Terminal at LGW. The significance of the problem was so great that there used to be signs on the walls at the top of the stairs in front of the lounge entrances reminding passenger that Open Doors was for the GCH only - No Guests and offered access to the Terraces lounge only, not the F lounge.

Taking away this benefit was hardly surprising (and the main airlines in the other alliances had done similar things).

Removing lounge access on HBO fares would be harsh (when you are actually spending with BA) and if with-luggage economy fares were to start a B fare basis, there would be little benefit - a CE ticket with lounge access would be cheaper!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Open Doors was a Gold benefit and was never intended for the situation that transpired at LGW. In the main it allowed a GCH to use the BA lounge when flying (perhaps domestically in a foreign land) to somewhere BA didn't even serve.

However, when EasyJet purchased GB, they had a large number of flights in the North Terminal at LGW. The significance of the problem was so great that there used to be signs on the walls at the top of the stairs in front of the lounge entrances reminding passenger that Open Doors was for the GCH only - No Guests and offered access to the Terraces lounge only, not the F lounge.

Taking away this benefit was hardly surprising (and the main airlines in the other alliances had done similar things).

Removing lounge access on HBO fares would be harsh (when you are actually spending with BA) and if with-luggage economy fares were to start a B fare basis, there would be little benefit - a CE ticket with lounge access would be cheaper!
All fair points and thanks for the historical context - very interesting.

Actually I would be surprised if (at this stage) BA took away lounge access for HBO fares because they have given no notice - I seem to remember there was notice with Open Doors.

That said, you can't ignore the fact that BA are competing with LCCs who don't have to fund lounges. I don't know how much it costs BA per person to use the lounge, but that is straight off the bottom line for these often inexpensive fares.

And, BA made this big change with Open Doors just a few years ago - it cause uproar on here, but it showed that they are not afraid of making radical changes to the benefits of status membership when they want to.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So it would seem it's only those with status that are getting hot under the collar about these changes?
The likes of me has nothing to worry about as I can just fly a low cost carrier instead if the HBO fare plus one bag deal is too expensive?
What a weird statement. If the interpretation of many of us is correct, "people like you" without status would end up paying £15 more and losing such things a their right to choose their seat at check in if they want to travel with a suitcase. There may be cases when indeed your route is served by an LCC and their fare will be good, there will be other cases where such option won't exist. The bottom line is that if our interpretation is correct, while people with status will lose "even more" (in the form of the extra status bag), people without any status will end up paying significantly more to have a less good product whenever they need to check in a bag.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
When I flew to DUB last year, and the ticket was HBO without expedia informing me, check in wouldn't allow me to simply add a bag. I had to upgrade the ticket. I had to chase Expedia for the price difference.
I thought private fares didn't appear on those agencies. Was it a one off glitch?

I think there is clue in there to what the pricing outcome will be. If private fares don't show then BA will presumably want a half sensible fare to appear in ITA, corporate TA, Expedia, etc. That would presumably be something less than the current semi-flex fares, but I'm not sure what.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I wonder if those with CCR cards will be barred from using it if they are travelling on a HBO fare?
We know that it would make at least one regular FT contributor extatic!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The bottom line is that if our interpretation is correct,
Are you interpreting the cost of a HBO fare plus 1 checked bag is going to work out more expensive than what the cheapest standard fare is now?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:36 pm

Are you interpreting the cost of a HBO fare plus 1 checked bag is going to work out more expensive than what the cheapest standard fare is now?
Yes, exactly. Right now, the luggage inclusive fare is typically £15 above the HBO fare. That gets you a piece of checked luggage and free seat selection at OLCI.

As this option will disappear, the cheapest way to get a flight with a checked suitcase will become HBO + checked luggage fee (cost varies but is an average of £30 if booked in advance). So that will be on average £15 more than the current version (and you won't be able to choose your seats at OLCI any more).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
I really hope the prices don't increase by too much as I like to take hold luggage when I travel. I know it is possible to buy HBO and add a bag, but it's cheaper to buy a "WCB" just now as it is. I suppose I've only just started the FFP game and so I'm not in it as deep as some, and since KLM is similarly priced on the routes I go I suppose I do have another option if the increase is too high (for me).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I thought private fares didn't appear on those agencies. Was it a one off glitch?

I think there is clue in there to what the pricing outcome will be. If private fares don't show then BA will presumably want a half sensible fare to appear in ITA, corporate TA, Expedia, etc. That would presumably be something less than the current semi-flex fares, but I'm not sure what.
HBO fares actually appear on most of the aggregators and OTAs such as Skyscanner, Expedia etc; just not on ITA Matrix!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by stewaran
Also, there are only a few airports with enough flights to make semi flex worthwhile, especially as you cant change route.
you could be sat in FRA on way to LHR, but they wont let you get an earlier LCY flight - if they opened this extra bit of Flex that would be a big step forward.
Is the routing of the ticket actually to LHR or to LON?

If I remember correctly, I have at least once changed flight date/time on the BA webpage including switching from one London airport to another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.