Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:24 am

It all depends on the price point. I really don't think its going to be good news. Is it not usually better to have 6 options rather than 3?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by paul78
The way I read it:

HBO - bog standard cheapest fare
If you want a checked bag - semi flex fare only.

Another downward spiral for BA.
Value judgement aside, that is a good point. I assume you can't 'add a bag' to your HBO fare. At least it isn't mentioned. So if you decide that you need to bring a bag after all, you are forced to upgrade the entire fare?

That would not be good.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Interesting - but let's see what the price points look like ... Presumably this will be bringing a (much?) larger difference between the Hand Baggage fare and the 'with Baggage' fare ?

Call me cynical but I'd be expecting we'd be seeing a much larger difference than the Ł10-Ł15 each way that exists now .... Of course same day flexibility etc. can certainly be argued to compensate for that

I'd be thinking there's no such thing as a free lunch here though ..........
This.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:29 am

Interestingly the notice says that HBO fares will continue to be filed as a private fare. Given that the differential to WTB fares will likely increase, ITA Matrix (and some other engines) will likely become an even more misleading source for BA short haul pricing. This is rather a shame as I otherwise love the Matrix!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Assuming seat selection based on status remains the same for non HBO fares, I can see that passengers who have to pay for advanced seat selection will get one up on HBO fares, getting a full 24hrs before HBO seats are allocated.
Having done 1 (yes that many) HBO, I must say that I am not keen to repeat the experience. I missed dumping my cabin sized suitcase instead of having to lug it around.
I have had a few AA domestic flights where they have offered free same day flight changes (full fare Y) but as yet haven't availed myself of this facility.
Am I right to assume that these changes will only be for new bookings after that date ?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I would expect that we'll all be booking HBO fares (and adding bags) more often in the future as I'm sure the price premium is going to go up significantly

The weird (perhaps hopeful) thing though is reading that document the price that they publish externally will be only Semi-Flex then (as presumably most 3rd party systems won't recognise the "private" Hand Baggage fares and there will be no such thing as cheap non flexible with baggage fares ) - If they increase the price of with baggage fares up by the current "Semi Flex" premium then in 3rd party tools they are going to look ludicrously expensive compared to Lufthansa , Air France etc. ... perhaps they don't care, or perhaps they're cleverer than we think and we might be positively surprised !
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjyyy
It all depends on the price point. I really don't think its going to be good news. Is it not usually better to have 6 options rather than 3?
In abstract, yes. But the problem with the semi-flex tickets in particular was that they were poorly understood by staff and there was a not-very-clear 1 hour rule that meant that calling in the change advantage was very heavy weather. Now if a customer goes to customer service it's quite simple:
HBO: it will cost you a lot (and yes you can add a bag online or at the airport, also for a hefty fee).
Anything else: it will cost only the fare difference, which could be nil if the flight is low loaded.

It also gets around the silly situation when people are forced to scoff all of the lounge biscuits when they arrive early from their meeting, in order to sit on their prebooked completely full flight, when the earlier service runs out half empty. Which has knock-on benefits to anyone on standby for the later service.

Incidentally, I bet the HBO fares will continue to show up on the Flight Comparison websites such as Skyscanner. From discussions with BA managers, that is area where it really matters, and if anything I suspect BA's flights will undercut both LCC and legacy flyers for much of the time, as they do now.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Value judgement aside, that is a good point. I assume you can't 'add a bag' to your HBO fare. At least it isn't mentioned. So if you decide that you need to bring a bag after all, you are forced to upgrade the entire fare?

That would not be good.
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect you will continue to be able to add a bag for a fee to an HBO fare without making it semi-flex.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect you will continue to be able to add a bag for a fee to an HBO fare without making it semi-flex.
Yes, that seems completely and 100% logical. So basically what they are selling is non-flex, almost fully flex and fully flex with only the non-flex requiring you to pay for luggage and seating.

Seems an even simpler way to represent your fares and how most airlines do it...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by henkybaby

Seems an even simpler way to represent your fares and how most airlines do it...
.... indeed and if they just added seat selection for status passengers back to HBO fares then we'd probably all be happy
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:42 am

On the face of it the first genuine 'enhancement' in a long time. I await to see if they screw us with the fares or restriction of status benefits. If not, well done BA ^
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
An interesting development...and may make it worth spending a little more for 'with checked bag' for the flexibility.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't decide to take this opportunity to rename the fares (for example - basic, standard, flex), but I'm glad they didn't!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for posting about this new development...great to know about it and will be interesting to see how it develops...

I do wonder why we haven't heard about this from our BA rep(s) on the board first but I do hope they will at least answer the questions being raised about this change...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I love the idea of free on-the-day flight time switches.

The devil will be in the detail of course.

I wonder whether redemption bookings will be classed as 'With Checked Bag'. The ability to switch to an earlier/later flight where there was previously no availability would be tremendous.

Will be interesting to see whether 'With Bag' fares become the same throughout the day in future, otherwise might as well pick the cheapest available and switch.

Finally will the flight time changes be doable through MMB or will it require a visit to the check-in desk?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now if a customer goes to customer service it's quite simple:

Anything else: it will cost only the fare difference, which could be nil if the flight is low loaded.
No - again, there is no fare difference to pay when you change at the customer service desk on the day for non-HBO tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.