Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

Another consideration is what will happen with bookings through BA Holidays, which is how I book most of my personal travel on BA. These currently booking into restricted non-HBO so you get what amounts to a good price plus status benefits. If these now start booking into HBO it would be a problem for status holders.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I have a funny feeling that us status holders are going to be disappointed over seat selection on the middle fare and we'll only be able to select at T-48hrs. I don't base this on any knowledge, just a gut feel.

I dearly hope I am proved wrong!
I hope your feeling is wrong, since status benefits are already limited on HBO fares. We could end up only getting full status benefits on fully flex tickets...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Another consideration is what will happen with bookings through BA Holidays, which is how I book most of my personal travel on BA. These currently booking into restricted non-HBO so you get what amounts to a good price plus status benefits. If these now start booking into HBO it would be a problem for status holders.
Same, really hope the seat selection stays
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Let's be clear on this:

The non-flexible fare has been removed completely, meaning that BAEC members can't choose their seats unless they buy a semi-flex ticket (which will be significantly pricier than HBO usually) or pay for the selection like a regular customer.

Hopefully seat selection will continue for BA Holidays and RFS redemptions, which are the majority of my shorthaul-only bookings, but this still can't be a great thing for the budget, European traveller.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Foltan
Let's be clear on this:

The non-flexible fare has been removed completely, meaning that BAEC members can't choose their seats unless they buy a semi-flex ticket (which will be significantly pricier than HBO usually) or pay for the selection like a regular customer.

Hopefully seat selection will continue for BA Holidays and RFS redemptions, which are the majority of my shorthaul-only bookings, but this still can't be a great thing for the budget, European traveller.
As I see it, for people like me who usually book the cheapest option, nothing has changed. If I want to pay a bit more (or a lot? we don't yet know!) then there will now be added flexibility to be able to change the time of the flight on the day.

Regarding seating, we don't yet know if the 'Free seat selection from 48 hours prior to departure' also applies to status members, or we'll be able to select at time of purchase as now. Hopefully there will be some clarification when we get the e-mail from British Airways!

I think we need all the facts before we can truly make a judgement on these changes.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
Let's be clear on this:

Yes, that's about right. The big question is whether lounge access will eventually fall down the hole too.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest

I think we need all the facts before we can truly make a judgement on these changes.
I don't think this will affect the budget conscious traveller much if at all. Just buy the HBO fare and add on the extras if needed. BA can't afford to increase fares too much as long as the low cost airlines are about.
Those with status seem to be the ones worrying the most...but they always do.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:26 am

I assume this doesn't affect reward flights? If not, the change looks good to me. I occasionally pay cash fares for ba short haul, when doing positioning flights for ex-EU. For those flights I need luggage anyway, and the flexibility of free flight changes on the day should be great for dealing with delays on the way home
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA gold
Like most weary FTers on here, at first glance it looks like a genuine enhancement.

As ever, the devil is in the details if it's just a normal enhancement, so will be interesting to see what answers come up for the questions that's been asked.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, BCFC Season ticket
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes, that's about right. The big question is whether lounge access will eventually fall down the hole too.
I find it interesting that the fully flex ticket will allow access to BA lounges. It doesn't explicitly say that the other tickets won't allow access but one has to wonder....
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Sussex Bantam
I find it interesting that the fully flex ticket will allow access to BA lounges. It doesn't explicitly say that the other tickets won't allow access but one has to wonder....
As I read it only fully flex tickets on UK domestic routes come with lounge access. Presumably this is because there is no Club class on these flights.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Sussex Bantam you're thinking of lounge access independent of status. The discussion is about whether BA will eventually withdraw lounge access for status card holders on HBO or semi-flex fares.

I'm unhappy but would tolerate HBO with paid-for choice of seat provided all others benefits (lounge access, tier points, avios) remain as now.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, BCFC Season ticket
Originally Posted by Jpsartre
As I read it only fully flex tickets on UK domestic routes come with lounge access. Presumably this is because there is no Club class on these flights.
Good point. I should read things more carefully !!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sussex Bantam
This is very similar to the present position: at present, only Business UK tickets come with lounge access.

Of course, many others get lounge access by virtue of status.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by paul78
The way I read it:

HBO - bog standard cheapest fare
If you want a checked bag - semi flex fare only.
That's what I am guessing too: some people read this as "now for the extra £10 of with luggage fee, you can get a semi flexible ticket with free changes on departure day" while I read it as "now, all cheap fares will be HBO and anyone wanting to add a cabin bag will either need to pay the much higher luggage fee or move to semi-flex ticket categories with a significant price difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.