Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
For the time being, I'll just stick to HBO fares or RFS if the prices are high.
Most of my short haul flights are to DUB, JER, TXL, AMS, CPH, OSL and ARN so a few are barely an hour anyway. If I'm positioning for long haul, I'll bring carry-on for that flight and I'm not that fussed where I sit during a 40 min flight to Jersey. 10-12 hrs, yes, but something akin to a bus trip across town, I'll survive.

They'll probably change carry-on rules at some point, but for now I'm not going to change my patterns.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well assuming nothing else changes this seems a very welcome and simple way of doing things, particularly (apparently) adding more flexibility to non HBO fares.

Apart from that, I suspect that 99% of BA passengers and 95% of FTers would scarcely notice the difference from the previous régime, however. The fare difference for last minute changes could be quite stiff.
If pricing difference stays the same at about £15 then i do welcome this. although my guess (yes not worth much i know!) is that we will see a much larger difference between HBO and "with Checked" as it now include semi flex which from my experience needed approx £80 extra fare.

If that stays the same the difference between HBO and "with checked" could be £100.

Also, there are only a few airports with enough flights to make semi flex worthwhile, especially as you cant change route.
you could be sat in FRA on way to LHR, but they wont let you get an earlier LCY flight - if they opened this extra bit of Flex that would be a big step forward.

Last edited by stewaran; Feb 26, 2016 at 2:42 am
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I've never used a HBO fare. I'm clearly in the minority of travellers these days that values having these things included and I used to value the unpublished benefits of BA not being operated like a LCC.
Is that because you actually check in a bag, or do you still buy non-HBO even when you're planning to travel HBO? That would certainly put you in a very small minority even among FTers, I would think.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Is that because you actually check in a bag, or do you still buy non-HBO even when you're planning to travel HBO? That would certainly put you in a very small minority even among FTers, I would think.
I've flown HBO once (before seat selection for status holders was removed), then I always booked non-HBO as I value the flexibility. Most of the time I try to travel HBO, even when I fly CE.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
There is absolutely no way that BA are suddenly just going to add semi-flexibility to the current "with bag" prices. I am sure we are going to see the difference between HBO and the new mid-level fare become the same as the current bag + semi-flex addition.

For me, this is bad news. I want to be able to take a bag and I want to be able to choose my seat, so currently I choose the mid-level fare and get both for about £15/€20 depending on the route. I don't need the semi-flexibility so I don't choose to add that option. Under the new system it seems that I will either have to pay for a semi-flex fare, at much higher prices, for flexbility that I don't need, or I have to book HBO and then pay to add a bag and pay to choose a seat, which will cost more than the current difference between HBO and with bag.

Looking at my ususal route, DUS-LHR for a couple of months ahead when all the flights are the lowest price currently available:

HBO is €67 each way, and with a bag is €87 each way.

Both fares can be changed to semi-flex for €90 extra each way. There is no way BA is suddenly going to start passing up that €90 extra by giving everyone extra flexibility, what they are trying to do by "simplifying" is make more people buy the more expensive semi-flex from the outset.

I agree with others that we are likely to see the difference between HBO and the new mid-level fare go up to around £100/€120 for short EU flights, and more for the longer ones.

More BA customer-squeezing sold as an enhacement
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Did some searches for OSL-LHR. The new economy with bags is 170 NOK (15 GBP) over HBO fares.

If this continues BA might get more of my business, as SAS Plus flexibility has been an important driver in selecting SAS. No refund/expensive change fees on the new fares is problematic but with free SDC (which I usually, but not guarenteed, sometimes get as a EBD at SAS) is great. Getting home early to the family when possible is important
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Star Alliance Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by chrisljo
Did some searches for OSL-LHR. The new economy with bags is 170 NOK (15 GBP) over HBO fares.

If this continues BA might get more of my business, as SAS Plus flexibility has been an important driver in selecting SAS. No refund/expensive change fees on the new fares is problematic but with free SDC (which I usually, but not guarenteed, sometimes get as a EBD at SAS) is great. Getting home early to the family when possible is important
That is the "old" non-flex WCB, we will most likely see the new prices after 8th March.

To bring this thread to a more positive note, maybe BA is considering going the KLM route and give status pax one extra bag on the base fare (that is HBO for KLM as well?) and maybe even seat selection?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by chrisljo

That's the old/current fares. The new fares aren't out yet, as indicated in the original post, and hence all the speculation in this thread.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:44 am

It's also worth pointing out that the fares and differentials we see on 8 March won't necessarily stay that way for very long. As we know, the difference between HBO and non-HBO fares has changed (gone up) a lot since HBO was introduced, as have seat selection fees etc..
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So it would seem it's only those with status that are getting hot under the collar about these changes?
The likes of me has nothing to worry about as I can just fly a low cost carrier instead if the HBO fare plus one bag deal is too expensive?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:10 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by HIDDY
So it would seem it's only those with status that are getting hot under the collar about these changes?
The likes of me has nothing to worry about as I can just fly a low cost carrier instead if the HBO fare plus one bag deal is too expensive?
Nobody knows how it will impact them yet until post 8/3.

But clearly unless there is route monopoly there is always the option of using another carrier, but then why bother commenting in the BA forum as that answers almost every issue/problem/change!!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Foltan
That's the old/current fares. The new fares aren't out yet, as indicated in the original post, and hence all the speculation in this thread.
So everything so far is speculative rather than reactive? Good Grief, when the new fares do get released, popcorn will not suffice the occasion.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So everything so far is speculative rather than reactive? Good Grief, when the new fares do get released, popcorn will not suffice the occasion.
Well, no, the changes aren't speculative - they have been announced and much of the commentary is based on those facts.

It's clear that the changes will have more impact on status holders than non-status holders because the 'cheapo ticket with status benefits' fare class is the one that is being removed.

The speculation is about the actual pricing and how much it will impact us in practice.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
So they are combining both benefits of seat selection and cabin bags for £10 each way. The loss appears to be the extra bags with status.

Current prices (far in the future):

Possible future prices:

So you pay £20 to keep your seat selection status benefit and you lose your extra bags in the hold whatever?
Again, since HBO fares aren't available on flights involving transfers it can't be that simple. I just can't imagine the cheapest XXX-LON-YYY return flights being £600-700+ after March 8.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kgmm77

Nobody knows how it will impact them yet until post 8/3.

But clearly unless there is route monopoly there is always the option of using another carrier, but then why bother commenting in the BA forum as that answers almost every issue/problem/change!!
Well I shall speculate and say this will be a positive change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.