Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
I'm certainly one of those who sees this as another step down that road, clearer differentiation between HBO and more flexible tickets. Free seat reservations are already gone from HBO and it wouldn't surprise me if lounge access went to as part of a cull of lounge numbers.
I don't think BA management would be that stupid. Even Lufthansa (as tight as they are) allows lounge access on their cheap Eurowing/Germanwings tickets for their own elites, so I'd be VERY surprised if BA decided to scrap that benefit on HBO fares. Would they be that daft?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm certainly one of those who sees this as another step down that road, clearer differentiation between HBO and more flexible tickets. Free seat reservations are already gone from HBO and it wouldn't surprise me if lounge access went to as part of a cull of lounge numbers.
I wonder if those with CCR cards will be barred from using it if they are travelling on a HBO fare? The black mug might become a dust collector.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
So it would seem it's only those with status that are getting hot under the collar about these changes?
The likes of me has nothing to worry about as I can just fly a low cost carrier instead if the HBO fare plus one bag deal is too expensive?
Which is not too much bother flying once a year.

But doing 50 flights a year the small differences make life a bit more comfortable.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
That is an entirely misleading anecdote.

More significantly, IAG's official figures released today show European load factor increased 1% to 79.1% in the year to 31 Dec 2015.
Official figures are no reference, official figures will tell you that there is no inflation, that if the UK leaves the EU disaster will strike and that the aliens did not land in Roswell. Better listen to the people working in the field and better use common sense than put trust in official figures .
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I don't think BA management would be that stupid. Even Lufthansa (as tight as they are) allows lounge access on their cheap Eurowing/Germanwings tickets for their own elites, so I'd be VERY surprised if BA decided to scrap that benefit on HBO fares. Would they be that daft?
I don't think BA will however there are many major carriers out there who don't offer lounge access to their own status passengers travelling on certain tickets. The US carriers are the obvious ones and I think AF is another one maybe?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
I really don't like the sound of this...

From what I can see, this will almost certainly make me worse off than before: I never ever book those Ryanair-copy tickets as I want my pre-selected seat and hardly ever manage to get everything stuffed into a piece of hand luggage only. And I also haven't made a last minute flight change in over ten years because I plan ahead properly (and travel only long haul for business so all the travel within Europe is for pleasure).

So- given the above, I will pay more than before. Which, of course, will be what BA is after- to my knowledge all this airline really ever cares about is money (as, admittedly, does pretty much every operational business). The only question now is, how much more and I dearly hope that some of the more negative views on this here in the forum won't come true!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:03 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
From what I can see, this will almost certainly make me worse off than before: I never ever book those Ryanair-copy tickets as I want my pre-selected seat and hardly ever manage to get everything stuffed into a piece of hand luggage only. And I also haven't made a last minute flight change in over ten years because I plan ahead properly (and travel only long haul for business so all the travel within Europe is for pleasure).

So- given the above, I will pay more than before. Which, of course, will be what BA is after- to my knowledge all this airline really ever cares about is money (as, admittedly, does pretty much every operational business). The only question now is, how much more and I dearly hope that some of the more negative views on this here in the forum won't come true!
Well, since you've said you'll pay more, you're exactly the type of customer they are targeting by making these changes.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't think BA will however there are many major carriers out there who don't offer lounge access to their own status passengers travelling on certain tickets. The US carriers are the obvious ones and I think AF is another one maybe?
America is indeed another ball game! But that said, the lounges there are nothing to write home about anyway!

I suppose my point was that Miles&Less is not exactly known for being the most generous FFP, but they extend benefits to 4U/EW ticket holders even though they're not even Star Alliance airlines. I certainly don't think Lufthansa would refuse entry to passengers with their own LH Group tickets (LH,OS,LX,SN,LO). Has anybody ever heard of that happening?

It seems to me that BAEC is regarded as more generous than M&M and I really can't see why they would want to strip the lounge benefit, which would be nothing short of a big slap in the face.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Well, since you've said you'll pay more, you're exactly the type of customer they are targeting by making these changes.
Yea, I'll also be exactly the kind of loyal Gold customer who will get even more pissed about the airline I am forced to use
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by vibguy
I had a discussion with BA CC yesterday telling me that they now have regularly SH flights with less than 15 pax, something which did never happen in the past.
On what routes?

Any SH flight I am on is typically rammed and the Queue of frequent flyers is longer than the general boarding Q

In fact, BA is increasing frequencies on the routes I use. If what you are saying is true they would be decreasing.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:14 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Yea, I'll also be exactly the kind of loyal Gold customer who will get even more pissed about the airline I am forced to use
Are you on a monopoly route or a corporate preferred supplier deal? Unfortunate if so.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
America is indeed another ball game!

I suppose my point was that Miles&Less is not exactly known for being the most generous FFP, but they extend benefits to 4U/EW ticket holders even though they're not even Star Alliance airlines. I certainly don't think Lufthansa would refuse entry to passengers with their own LH Group tickets (LH,OS,LX,SN,LO). Has anybody ever heard of that happening?

It seems to me that BAEC is regarded as more generous than M&M and I really can't see why they would want to strip the lounge benefit, which would be nothing short of a big slap in the face.
The problem BA and others has is that leisure fares thanks to the low cost carriers have had to remain low in order for BA to compete. So I can imagine there could come a time when it's not feasible to offer all benefits to status members flying on those fares.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I always travel with checked luggage, no matter how short the flight or my time away. I simply have to, as I need items that cannot be taken as hand luggage.
I also check luggage because of what is in it, not because I have more than I can carry on board the aircraft.

The need to check baggage is forced onto me because the difference between what can be carried in public and onto an aircraft is large and growing - before 2001, this was not a significant problem. So hold baggage charges increasingly penalise people based on what they want to carry not on how much, which grates on me.

If BA make the fare with hand baggage far more than the one without, it will be to me as if their fare for me has gone up a lot, and I will react accordingly (as will my company buying me business tickets, I'm afraid).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
More significantly, IAG's official figures released today show European load factor increased 1% to 79.1% in the year to 31 Dec 2015.

Originally Posted by vibguy
Official figures are no reference, official figures will tell you [deleted]. Better listen to the people working in the field and better use common sense than put trust in official figures .
If you're going to try to claim that IAG is lying in its company financial reports, that is an extraordinary claim and will require extraordinary proof.

To put it more bluntly: rubbish.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect you will continue to be able to add a bag for a fee to an HBO fare without making it semi-flex.
When I flew to DUB last year, and the ticket was HBO without expedia informing me, check in wouldn't allow me to simply add a bag. I had to upgrade the ticket. I had to chase Expedia for the price difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.