Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:53 pm

If you assume BA wouldn't do this unless its revenue positive (and given the cost control ethos in the company I presume every non-safety or compliance related change needs to wash its face to get approved), then that means unless the change attracts more new customers (and I can't see anything to indicate it will as the benefit isn't clear), then the average fare per customer must increase.

So you can construct a hypothetical that some customers might benefit, but more have to lose.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Come on guys, this isn't 1997, this is BA with WW and Cruz. BA aren't going to Do any genuine enhancements. This is the end of free checked bags, save for the dearest fares. All economy fares, except B and Y class, are becoming HBO. The semi flex will be B class - BA aren't going to just start allowing same day changes on fares that cost £100 return! This is BA. What they will do is make everybody pay for an extra bag. They won't give FF members their free extra allowance unless they book a baggage inclusive (Y or B) fare. Maybe the same with seat selection - so basically a Gold booking a cheapo or even moderately expensive fare will need to pre pay seating, book B or Y, or lump it.

The end of the free checked bag was years ago, when BA introduced HBO fares and thus began charging for checked bags. This new fare structure is a development of that.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
So what this means is, that if a GCH wants to select a seat on a SH flight, his ticket will cost about 100GBP more than before.
Good going BA.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:57 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by dera
So what this means is, that if a GCH wants to select a seat on a SH flight, his ticket will cost about 100GBP more than before.
Good going BA.
Please explain that to a simpleton like me...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Please explain that to a simpleton like me...
The way I view it is that if you did a typical fare search you used to see 3 columns: HBO, Standard and Business. HBO would be about £30 less than Standard for a return.

On the next page you could optionally select semi-flex, which would anything from £20 to £200.

In the new world you csn have HBO, or semi-flex. So the lift above HBO can be anything from £40 to £250 for a fare that allows you to select seat
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by irmster
This looks like an excuse to hike prices. I can't see the current cheapest with baggage fares being available, given the new semi flex element.

BA turning even more into an LCC for shorthaul point to points by encouraging people to travel HBO?
If you hike prices, you don't fill planes. Punters look for cheaper alternatives with rival carriers. Simples.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FrancisA
We are of course both speculating and either one of us may be right.
That's absolutely the spirit of my post indeed - just two alternative narratives.

There is a hand baggage problem. It is well documented on here and affects more than just domestic flights - it is after all the reason that BA introduced the yellow tag system.
I do think the hand luggage problem is much exaggerated here, and that it only affects a few flights (certainly in my experience which does include weekly flights on a variety of routes), but even besides that, the notion that using fare structure to solve a luggage space problem (compared to optimising income) sounds very unconvincing to me.

There is also an HBO problem in that too many customers have opted for HBO as their standard fare to purchase. BA seem to have made a strategic mistake here, believing that HBO would be a private fare in corporate terms but show up to their advantage on comparison sites for price sensitive (mostly leisure passengers). The end result has been lost revenue. This explains why they have chosen to remove seat selection privileges from status passengers and why they are now relegating HBO fares to the category of inflexible fares.
I fully agree with the first point (HBO became default for most, hence lost income). The second point is factually wrong: HBO fares have excluded seat selection from the onset so cannot possibly be as a result of too many people buying it compared to expectations.

If BA's aim is to "maximise income while remaining competitive on price", the scenario that you paint does not add up.

BA are not reducing the price of HBO fares - the price presumably remains the same, but any flexibility that there was is gone. So no new customers here.

Plenty of leisure passengers want and need luggage and will balk at flying BA if the only luggage inclusive fare they are offered books into B (as is the case with existing ex-LGW semi-flex fares).
I do not understand that part of your argument. On the first point I'm saying BA want to keep the cheap lead price, not lower it - frankly, it cannot with its cost structure. What I am saying is that it cannot increase it.

Your argument is that leisure travellers who need to check in a suitcase will now be put off by the absence of an all inclusive fare and will thus revert to U2 while BA is simply following the U2 model for people needing cheap fares plus checked luggage: sell it as ancillary only rather than at discount. I do not see the logic of the argument. BA is simply following the U2 pricing model: moving to a low cost fare structure at the leisure level where customers add (more) to add a suitcase if they want to.

You seem to think that this will "force" more people into travelling HBO but if I may point that out, I think this flatly contradicts your earlier observation which rightly showed that BA has found out that everyone who can buys HBO anyway rather than buy up to their "cheap" luggage inclusive fare. This suggests to me that now making luggage HBO+30 instead of HBO+15 is not an elastic situation since already, only those who absolutely have to will purchase the luggage component as you point out in 1.

I think that there is a mistake in thinking that BA earns more from selling current luggage inclusive fares: I mentioned at the time that AF once showed me, several years ago, that the cost of transporting a piece of checked luggage within Europe was approximately £9. That was several years ago and suggests that the current luggage inclusive is only at "cost price" which is not good enough to make a profit. And if people already do not buy luggage inclusive when it is barely sold at unit cost, BA can't afford to sell the same for more (which may well have been their original plan) as people simply won't buy it. That's a serious conundrum.

I really cannot imagine that BA are trying to force most passengers on to HBO fares (at a lower price than existing Standard fares and hoping for ancillary fees from those who really want luggage) whilst pushing corporate customers into buying expensive semi-flexible fares (which didn't sell well previously) by removing cheaper alternatives. That approach would certainly do something for revenues, but I suspect it would be Easyjet's that would be rising and BA's that would be falling.
I think that we both agree that BA was hoping that HBO would enable them to compete for the leisure market with U2 without encroaching on their regular market, and that instead, it has led to a decrease in revenue. We seem to disagree on where they take it from there. I actually think that your later answers are closer to my pessimistic view, while the other ones were perhaps hoping for a more "conservative" (I do not mean that in any derogative manner) answer ie going back to making the luggage inclusive fare more attractive to take people back to it.

My perception is more negative. I do not believe that BA have the margins (for their short haul operations) to give more, and as said, I do not think that the "old" luggage inclusive means a profit either anyway, so my guess is that instead, they are trying to ensure that they milk more out of passengers by implicitly doubling the price of including a suitcase without increasing the lowest appeal price, and explicitly removing the hand luggage only option for less price-sensitive tickets, hence squeezing an extra £20 or so at that level whilst also avoiding the dissatisfaction of people unable to select seats etc whilst paying fairly expensive tickets.

Again, I can only hope that I am wrong.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 26, 2016 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA EC
I am interested in "Free flight changes on the day of departure, up to one hour before scheduled flight time". Hope it will not be so expensive...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The end of the free checked bag was years ago, when BA introduced HBO fares and thus began charging for checked bags. This new fare structure is a development of that.
Yep but £10-£15 more to get status benefits compared to £150 more is quite significant. I've never used a HBO fare. I'm clearly in the minority of travellers these days that values having these things included and I used to value the unpublished benefits of BA not being operated like a LCC. Boarding BA now feels more and more LCC and for me it is becoming harder to justify retaining status or what BA's usp is on point to point European flights. A 'free' crisp and a (1) tiny can of Diet Coke isn't quite it! That's not a complaint - BA can do what they want and I'm sure there are sound commercial reasons, but I think I've probably now reached the point where I may as well fly easy jet if they are cheaper on the route I want. Until now, I wouldn't even consider a LCC if BA operated the route.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
This change makes perfect sense with the new higher charges for exit row seats which will affect everyone now that there is no choice for even status passengers to buy the cheapest tickets with included baggage/free seat selection. Oh they knew what they were doing. Very clever really.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Star Alliance Gold (status match)
Yep but £10-£15 more to get status benefits compared to £150 more is quite significant. I've never used a HBO fare. I'm clearly in the minority of travellers these days that values having these things included and I used to value the unpublished benefits of BA not being operated like a LCC. Boarding BA now feels more and more LCC and for me it is becoming harder to justify retaining status or what BA's usp is on point to point European flights. A 'free' crisp and a (1) tiny can of Diet Coke isn't quite it! That's not a complaint - BA can do what they want and I'm sure there are sound commercial reasons, but I think I've probably now reached the point where I may as well fly easy jet if they are cheaper on the route I want. Until now, I wouldn't even consider a LCC if BA operated the route.
If the current semi-flex prices stay unchanged in the new model, we may very well see situations where a restricted Club booking is actually cheaper than the "standard" checked luggage - somewhat reducing the value of the benefits you get with status.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by ABZFlyer16
The way I read this is that BA are not actually adding anything new, only removing the three below options currently available, namely:

HBO Semi Flex - (£147.93)
HBO Fully Flex - (£299.93)
WCB Standard - (£80.93)

As a result it looks like your options after 08/03 will be (I just did an ABZ-LHR dummy search):

HBO Standard - £70.93
WCB Semi Flex - £157.93
WCB Fully Flex - £309.93
Thanks for looking up the numbers. ABZ probably has less competition than AMS or FRA, but BA seems to say: If you want status benefits like seat selection or luggage, pay twice the money and get a semi flex fare, or pay seat selection and baggage fee on top of the HBO fare.

But where there is a U2 alternative, I'll get luggage and seat selection for less money. Unless I need the semi flex part on Y shorthaul or need BA status for longhaul Y travel, why bother keeping BA status after this?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:59 am
Suspended

...it is becoming harder to justify retaining status or what BA's usp is on point to point European flights....
I think this is an important point. What is BA's USP? The only things I can think of are free food+drink and the ability to transfer to long haul. Bit depressing when you think about it.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
So they are combining both benefits of seat selection and cabin bags for £10 each way. The loss appears to be the extra bags with status.

Current prices (far in the future):

Possible future prices:

So you pay £20 to keep your seat selection status benefit and you lose your extra bags in the hold whatever?

Last edited by crazy8534; Feb 26, 2016 at 2:07 am
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by ABZFlyer16
The way I read this is that BA are not actually adding anything new, only removing the three below options currently available, namely:

HBO Semi Flex - (£147.93)
HBO Fully Flex - (£299.93)
WCB Standard - (£80.93)

As a result it looks like your options after 08/03 will be (I just did an ABZ-LHR dummy search):

HBO Standard - £70.93
WCB Semi Flex - £157.93
WCB Fully Flex - £309.93

I would expect there'll be no changes made to the actual conditions as these fares can all be chosen at present and I'd be very surprised if the gulf between the HBO Standard and WCB Semi Flex is reduced.

Just yet another decision painted to be of benefit when actually it's very much of detriment to customers. Thank god I use RFS on short haul mostly. Won't be long until that's enhanced to HBO conditions no doubt!
It's the removal of 'WCB Standard' which is going to cause the most problems - apart from an effective removal of status benefits unless you buy a much more expensive ticket, these changes will see more pax buying HBO fares and therefore making the cabin baggage problem worse.

The cabin baggage problem has been an issue on any reasonably full flight I have taken.

A genuine enhancement would be following the US/Virgin Australia model more and allowing status pax seat selection and baggage allowance on fares that don't provide this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.