Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA.com Official
ba.com
Currently experiencing some performance issues resulting in Hand Baggage Only prices not being displayed.
We are working to resolve this as soon as possible.
Does British Airways not properly test software updates before making them live? Or have a backout plan for failed enhancements?

If I were responsible for a failed upgrade such as this - never mind the number of failures that ba.com is experiencing lately - I would quite rightly be out of a job. You simply can't roll out updates to critical, customer-facing applications in such a casual manner.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
On the few routes that I have looked at, the one way HBO fares have increased by a few pounds, as have the with checked luggage fares. Generally I think this is a great enhancement if the fares that I have found continue going forward.

One thing I have noticed, is that now you can have a semi-flex ticket falling into far more fare buckets. Previously with semi flex fares, my understanding was that if the fare bucket that was originally booked was not available, you were re-booked into the Y/J bucket.

On the basis of the above, my question is can you therefore book the cheapest O bucket semi-flex fare which would yield 5 TP's, then change on the day to a heavily loaded flight which will be re-booked into Y/J and therefore receive the 20TP's for maybe the original £54 that was paid for the O bucket?? Apologies in advance if this has already been covered.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
Does British Airways not properly test software updates before making them live? Or have a backout plan for failed enhancements?

If I were responsible for a failed upgrade such as this - never mind the number of failures that ba.com is experiencing lately - I would quite rightly be out of a job. You simply can't roll out updates to critical, customer-facing applications in such a casual manner.
Misco60, take your point and agree in part, but I think a little sympathy is probably due the IT guys as they struggle to reconcile a rats nest of old and new code and systems
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:14 am

Unfortunately when a business is obsessively cost cutting they never want to fund any projects up front for a return years down the line. Doesn't look good on this year's bonuses
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Ziz
I'm not even getting the fare grid!
Me either, just one 'economy' option showing on EDI-LGW. The prices seem to have gone up a few £s too (but not as much as yesterday when I accidentally selected flex tickets )
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was looking at a Bologna flight a few days ago that came in at sub £100 rtn, HBO. Today all I see is one mega-wide column called "Economy", no mention of bags or not, and the price is £264!

I think I'm going to wait for things to settle down.....

One thing I have noticed is an almost total lack of "O" bucket on many of the routes I had been looking at which seemed to have loads earlier this week. FCO for example on some dates in August.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I did was take a series of screen shots of my 4 most frequent services, for 22 March and 20 April. Now I took these screenshots 48 hours back so there will be changes in fares over a 48 hour period, quite legitimately.

My impressions, taking into account that it's a limited amount of data:

- no changes to LGW prices at all, but that's because the changes haven't rolled through there, still showing change fees on non HBO.
- not much changes on LCY, but the changes are in place
- not much change on LHR fares for flights a month out for shorthaul Europe
- an increase in fares for Domestic, the NCL-LHR £46 is now £54 across the board
- an increase in fares close up to departure, in the £3 to £10 area. So the delta between HBO and non HBO is maintained, but the fares are up
- no obvious changes to Club Europe, so closer in this becomes more attractive.

So my overall impression is that for leisure travellers booking in advance this works fine, you get "free" extra flexibility. For domestic travellers there seems to be a fare increase. For people buying close in (e.g. business travellers) the fares are a bit higher but the non HBO fare is more attractive.

It's worth remembering that the competition here is Easyjet: they don't give any meaningful refund on their normal fares, unlike BA which at the cheaper end gives quite a hefty refund on cancellations. So subject to how LGW works out, where the U2 competition is far greater, there is a moderate repositioning of BA's fares in these changes.
A very helpful analysis. Thank you, c-w-s.

Shame BA could not have made it much clearer at the outset that they were not going to consolidate on the previous semi-flex buckets thus eliminating lower priced with luggage fares.

What has been rolled out looks like the additional semi-flex benefit comes at little, if any, additional cost - a real enhancement for a change.

It was my contention that BA wanted to sell more with luggage fares (though probably to former HBO customers who won't actually want to check luggage) to raise average revenue. That seems to be reflected in the price structure rolled out.

At least now there is a very clear demarcation in product - buy an HBO fare and expect to pay extra for anything else or buy an inclusive fare and get full status benefits and generous flexibility.

The only outstanding issue is whether the last status benefit (lounge access) is maintained for much longer on HBO fares. I suspect its days are numbered.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FrancisA
What has been rolled out looks like the additional semi-flex benefit comes at little, if any, additional cost - a real enhancement for a change.

It was my contention that BA wanted to sell more with luggage fares (though probably to former HBO customers who won't actually want to check luggage) to raise average revenue. That seems to be reflected in the price structure rolled out.

At least now there is a very clear demarcation in product - buy an HBO fare and expect to pay extra for anything else or buy an inclusive fare and get full status benefits and generous flexibility.

The only outstanding issue is whether the last status benefit (lounge access) is maintained for much longer on HBO fares. I suspect its days are numbered.
Well we haven't seen the LGW ticket prices yet, and they are some of the best value for money fares that BA offers. But broadly I agree with your view. Thinking it through, what does BA want? Presumably:
- to keep filling up aircraft (so it has to offer prices competitive to rival airlines, hence the focus on comparison websites)
- to extract a bit more margin (so a modest tilt towards business travellers wanting flexibility, to shift them off HBO).
- try and get a few more quid out of Domestics, £40 one way to GLA, sometimes booked the night before, isn't sustainable.

I think the HBO=no lounge isn't going to happen, if it was the moment would have been now. The corporate customers and BA marketers would have been in meltdown over that.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So my overall impression is that for leisure travellers booking in advance this works fine, you get "free" extra flexibility. For domestic travellers there seems to be a fare increase. For people buying close in (e.g. business travellers) the fares are a bit higher but the non HBO fare is more attractive.
This is very similar to what SAS has be doing with SAS Plus, and one key reason they are my first choice on OSL-LHR. Works great for me as my trips are planned 4-8 weeks out, but subject to change.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:20 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I'm still confused. Whilst I can now see the fare grid (couldn't before), I only have one option which is Economy. No HBO option.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
HBO option has returned on the LHR-BRU route. Hopefully it will be back for other routes soon. In all honesty, I see this as quite an enhancement.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:30 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Agreed. But I want to be able to compare prices before committing!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You simply can't roll out updates to critical, customer-facing applications in such a casual manner.
Obviously you must work in a more controlled place than where I do

In any event, I suspect the remit to the IT department was "This needs to be ready by tomorrow", not "This needs to be ready when it's ready"
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:36 pm

The thing is, if semi-flex is now readily available for pretty cheap (c.£60 up) who on earth is still going to buy full flex, unless it's absolutely the only option left?

I mean the answer to that question should already have been 'no one' even before these changes, and yet some companies still went with it. Can there really be any justification for that now?

(I know those companies don't pay published prices, but still...)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The thing is, if semi-flex is now readily available for pretty cheap (c.£60 up) who on earth is still going to buy full flex, unless it's absolutely the only option left?

I mean the answer to that question should already have been 'no one' even before these changes, and yet some companies still went with it. Can there really be any justification for that now?

(I know those companies don't pay published prices, but still...)
Anyone who can't buy a semiflex fare because the buckets it requires are zeroed out

Anyone whose company obtains a full flex fare for the price of a HBO fare

et c...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.