Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rxfleming
My question is - not sure it's been answered as I don't have time to read the thread - do existing bookings made before the 9th March with baggage qualify for the change to a different flight? Could come in handy for a few flights I have coming up.
Existing bookings will retain their previous fare conditions, and certainly for the next 6 months or so that will be enforced. Thereafter you may get some agent flexibility at the airport.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
I was just checking a flight I usually take and here is what happe:

If I take the HBO FARE on the right flight numbers it costs me 144,00 € return without seat selection

I I go for the new semi-flex (with checked luggage and seat selection at the time of booking for Silver and Golds) picking the cheapest flight numbers , it quotes me 142,00 €

If my understanding of the new rules is right, I can buy the semi flex fare and change the legs to my convenient flight time on the day of departure without any fee (unless they are fully booked). This would make the semi-flex fare cheaper than the HBO fare with the only condition that the flights are not fully booked.

Am I missing something?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by sebanto2001
I was just checking a flight I usually take and here is what happe:

If I take the HBO FARE on the right flight numbers it costs me 144,00 € return without seat selection

I I go for the new semi-flex (with checked luggage and seat selection at the time of booking for Silver and Golds) picking the cheapest flight numbers , it quotes me 142,00 €

If my understanding of the new rules is right, I can buy the semi flex fare and change the legs to my convenient flight time on the day of departure without any fee (unless they are fully booked). This would make the semi-flex fare cheaper than the HBO fare with the only condition that the flights are not fully booked.

Am I missing something?
Yes, the semi-flex are changeable without fees, but you'd still pay fare difference.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by jimcbob
Yes, the semi-flex are changeable without fees, but you'd still pay fare difference.
No fare difference to pay for same day changes. Completely free as long as there is space.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by jimcbob
It's not particularly clear, but I disagree - at any time the cost is no fee + fare difference, but on the day it's free. Given difference in language I don't see fare difference applying on the day (unless it's buried in the Ts&Cs)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Is there any chance reward flights will qualify for the same day free flight change?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I think it's even better than that -Changes:

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for the difference in fare.

Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability.
In other words, you can change to any route/time prior to departure and get a confirmed ticket. On the day of departure (not clear if it is only up to the time check in closes, the time of departure, or the entire day) it seems to be saying that you can fly on that flight unless it is full (i.e., ranking behind the cheapest HBO O-fare sold for that flight).

If fare difference applied on the day of travel, there'd be no need for the second part.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Is there any chance reward flights will qualify for the same day free flight change?
A chance, but I don't think it's particularly likely. I-class fares are still on the old rules after all.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
I think it's even better than that -Changes:

In other words, you can change to any route/time prior to departure and get a confirmed ticket. On the day of departure (not clear if it is only up to the time check in closes, the time of departure, or the entire day) it seems to be saying that you can fly on that flight unless it is full (i.e., ranking behind the cheapest HBO O-fare sold for that flight).

If fare difference applied on the day of travel, there'd be no need for the second part.
Would this apply for a city pairing e.g. DUB-LON (if you were in Dublin and just wanted the next flight back) or would it be restricted to your original routing of say DUB-LCY do we know?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:37 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Existing bookings will retain their previous fare conditions, and certainly for the next 6 months or so that will be enforced. Thereafter you may get some agent flexibility at the airport.
Thanks CWS. I assume they'll enforce this through the POS date or GDS rules for the tix. But as you say as time goes by they will probably become lax.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by pleb
Would this apply for a city pairing e.g. DUB-LON (if you were in Dublin and just wanted the next flight back) or would it be restricted to your original routing of say DUB-LCY do we know?
No harm in asking but as it specifically says same cabin/route/airport then, unless the staff are being overly helpful, you'd be stuck with DUB-LCY as opposed to DUB-LHR.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
chrisljo seems to be correct - below for OSL
Maybe that information is specific to the O fare.

If they've now scrapped the option to UuA for anything other than fully flexible fares that would be very odd. They only introduced the option to upgrade the K, L, M, N, S, V buckets late last year, I find it hard to believe they've already enhanced it away.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
No fare difference to pay for same day changes. Completely free as long as there is space.
Apologies, misread the question. Thought the poster was suggesting buying cheap flight and then immediately changing to another flight. Agree that it would be free on the day if seats available.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
chrisljo seems to be correct - below for OSL
I just did a dummy booking OSL - LHR one way, upgrading using avios, and it came back with the N-class price.

So it seems that either the fare being booked was an O/Q/G fare, or the benefits are simply over-simplified and under-stated.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I did was take a series of screen shots of my 4 most frequent services, for 22 March and 20 April. Now I took these screenshots 48 hours back so there will be changes in fares over a 48 hour period, quite legitimately.

My impressions, taking into account that it's a limited amount of data:

- no changes to LGW prices at all, but that's because the changes haven't rolled through there, still showing change fees on non HBO.
- not much changes on LCY, but the changes are in place
- not much change on LHR fares for flights a month out for shorthaul Europe
- an increase in fares for Domestic, the NCL-LHR £46 is now £54 across the board
- an increase in fares close up to departure, in the £3 to £10 area. So the delta between HBO and non HBO is maintained, but the fares are up
- no obvious changes to Club Europe, so closer in this becomes more attractive.

So my overall impression is that for leisure travellers booking in advance this works fine, you get "free" extra flexibility. For domestic travellers there seems to be a fare increase. For people buying close in (e.g. business travellers) the fares are a bit higher but the non HBO fare is more attractive.

It's worth remembering that the competition here is Easyjet: they don't give any meaningful refund on their normal fares, unlike BA which at the cheaper end gives quite a hefty refund on cancellations. So subject to how LGW works out, where the U2 competition is far greater, there is a moderate repositioning of BA's fares in these changes.
Thanks CWS.

It seems like a geniune improvement and clearer system! lets hope it doesn't hike in price over the coming months for the "checked bags" fares! as I've always brought the non-HBO fares as a leisure traveller so i'd like to continue this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.