Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It appears those of us in the Regions are being left behind with this enhanced semi-flex fare structure. Wherever there is a connection involved the old rules remain - £60 to £100 change fee plus difference in fare, including changes on the day changes. That appears very unfair.
However, I think that we always knew that this was going to be the case at this point. From the first post in this thread:-
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
These fare products are only available on short haul point-to-point A-B or A-B-A journeys, i.e. excluding transfers.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, I think that we always knew that this was going to be the case at this point. From the first post in this thread:-
It doesn't make it right though
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't make it right though
True! However, did connecting journeys ever get HBO under the old system? If HBO is still being filed as a private fare in the new system, I wonder whether there is still some system or conceptual limitation.

A further thought from this in the first post to this thread:-
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Fully Flex:
• Fully refundable
• Includes a 23kg Checked Baggage allowance, plus the standard hand baggage allowance
• Free seat selection at time of booking
• Free flight changes on the day of departure, up to one hour before scheduled flight time
• No change fees (a fare difference may apply if flight is changed before day of departure)

On UK domestic routes, Fully Flex fares will be branded ‘Business UK’. These fares include access to British Airways’ lounges and Priority Boarding.
This would suggest that both Y and B classes are now "Business UK", instead of (I think) only Y class hitherto. If so, our lounge access guidance will have to be amended.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:31 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver

So it is a from me with respect to the changes where I need to connect - which is every flight I take that doesn't end in London.
Why would anyone want to go anywhere other than London?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:38 am

True! However, did connecting journeys ever get HBO under the old system? If HBO is still being filed as a private fare in the new system, I wonder whether there is still some system or conceptual limitation...
Yes, HBO was (and is) available on quite a number of routes. It does appear unfair, those in the regions are paying the higher semi-flex fare premium noted above but they are not receiving the benefit.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
Why would anyone want to go anywhere other than London?
To escape the Londoners!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Flights to and from JER seem to have a £15 or thereabouts price differential each way between HBO and checked luggage.

The underlying far bucket for the HBO (non flex) and checked luggage (semi flex) both seem to be the same (on my sample of 1) and therefore will give the same number of TP.

Is that what we were expecting?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Basi1
Is that what we were expecting?
I think it depended on whether one was in the camp that believed that nothing that BA changed would ever be positive for the customer. After all, what have the Romans ever done for us?

However, now that it's happened, I read the result the same way that you do.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I honestly thought that the HBO fares would now come from completely different buckets to the checked baggage fares. So that if you booked semi-flex you'd get 50% Avios/TPs. That doesn't appear to be the case at all, and so might be confusing for those hoping to upgrade using Avios.

It's also a little confusing as to whether the economy fares are now eligible for upgrades as the graphics don't make it clear. This is an N fare flight:
Attached Images  
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I think it depended on whether one was in the camp that believed that nothing that BA changed would ever be positive for the customer. After all, what have the Romans ever done for us?

However, now that it's happened, I read the result the same way that you do.
Indeed it seems there has been such a thing as a free lunch for the moment .. no obvious downsides that I can see .. seems to be a genuine enhancement .. I had definitely expected they would be putting a bigger price gap in between HBO and the rest, but for now at least that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Indeed it seems there has been such a thing as a free lunch for the moment .. no obvious downsides that I can see ..
More a free lemon biscuit, I'd say.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by headingwest
It's also a little confusing as to whether the economy fares are now eligible for upgrades as the graphics don't make it clear. This is an N fare flight:
Yes, I noticed that. I think the point they were trying to make is the fully flex is definitely UuA'able, so that's a selling point/feature; but they don't have the logic in place to indicate when semi flex is UuA'able, which in this case it would be, but won't be on cheaper fares. Indeed HBO is UuA'able when the fare is higher than O or Q. There is a glitch there for those in the know: if you UuA from scratch with a new fare it will base the revenue component on the lowest class (typically N) but as a "with bag" fare, but you can UuA an HBO fare in N too, it just takes two steps to do it!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Here's another example of the semi-flex fares. This is a return booking with one flight booked in O and the other in V, but both semi-flex. As from late last year V fares have been eligible for upgrades using Avios, but these new graphics make that far from clear.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
This might have been addressed before but this change means a with luggage WT fare will have more flexibility than a discount CE, right?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by P.henrik
This might have been addressed before but this change means a with luggage WT fare will have more flexibility than a discount CE, right?
That was the case when discounted ET fares permitted changes for a fee but discounted CE was totally inflexible. That changed and all CE fares now permit changes for a fee.

It does seem ET with luggage fares are now more flexible with no indication that CE fare conditions will change to match this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.