Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
No, you have to keep the same airport pair. Yes to the first question.
When we did this a few weeks ago the option came up to switch our flights from DUB-LHR to DUB-LGW or DUB-LCY.

We didn't change as LHR was better for us but it looked like it would have gone through fine for the others.

Can't verify whether this is the same for other city pairs.

Also, someone further up the thread asked if both flights had to be departing after an hour to be changed. Have checked with the better half and we definitely changed our flight on the same day to one departing in 45 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
Ideally I want the 1035 flight but it's £243, however, the 2100 flight is only £100. Can I change flight on the day or does there have to be a certain fare class available?
There need only be seats available in the same cabin.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6501
No, you have to keep the same airport pair. Yes to the first question.
Originally Posted by M17SST
When we did this a few weeks ago the option came up to switch our flights from DUB-LHR to DUB-LGW or DUB-LCY.

We didn't change as LHR was better for us but it looked like it would have gone through fine for the others.
What seems to be the case, from a few checks I've done is:
- if originally booked to/from LHR, you can also use LGW and LCY on the same day of travel free of charge (and it magically comes into place at midnight London time).
- if originally booked to/from LGW you can also use LHR and LCY but there is a fare difference applied if there are no irrops. That fare difference can be exceedingly good value for money depending on context.
- If originally booked to/from LCY I think it's the same as LGW (fare difference), which makes LGW invariably free, but I need more evidence to be sure, my one example wasn't clear cut due to a time change.

And yes, even if there is just a J1 seat left, you can snaffle it up off a O class booking, on the day of departure.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And yes, even if there is just a J1 seat left, you can snaffle it up off a O class booking, on the day of departure.
Domestic only, presumably?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cymro
No, Europe point to point tickets, single or return.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Really?

Am I being dim, or are you saying that you can get a CE seat (is J class CE?) for the price of an HBO ticket?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:13 am

You're right, you are restricted to your original cabin.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by 710 77345
I have a CE booking in "I" to IST, the mid-morning 767 service BA676. In fact I would now like to spend more time at home on Saturday if possible.

So on the day, before 7am when I would normally have to leave, can I simply swap to the evening BA680? Assuming availability? Or does that availability have to be in "I" class too, which on the day would be unlikely?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
I have a CE booking in "I" to IST, the mid-morning 767 service BA676. In fact I would now like to spend more time at home on Saturday if possible.

So on the day, before 7am when I would normally have to leave, can I simply swap to the evening BA680? Assuming availability? Or does that availability have to be in "I" class too, which on the day would be unlikely?
That's a business class ticket, and you need an economy plus ticket to have free changes on the day (without having a flexible ticket) I'm afraid. If you wanted to change your ticket, you are likely to have to pay £100 + fare difference, but there's no advantage / discount in waiting to the day to do this.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? The rules say in the same cabin, as I remember.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Yes, apologies I was answering a different question: you are indeed restricted to the original cabin, so for non Domestic the equivalent is Y1 even you booked in Q originally, J1 if domestic. But the principles apply for both domestic and non domestic shorthaul services. Moreover CE tickets don't have this flexibility, necessarily, just domestic and ET point to point single and return fares.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:04 pm

Yes, apologies I was answering a different question: you are indeed restricted to the original cabin, so for non Domestic the equivalent is Y1 even you booked in Q originally, J1 if domestic. But the principles apply for both domestic and non domestic shorthaul services. Moreover CE tickets don't have this flexibility, necessarily, just domestic and ET point to point single and return fares.
I wonder if you snaffled a J fare on the domestic would you get lounge access and 20 tps
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You wouldn't. There has to be J on the flight, but then it forces open a seat in your original booking class.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:33 pm

Has anyone had any experience with these fares on a weekend day trip deal? For instance,

Code:
            Economy HBO  Economy WCB
Flight 1    £40          £55
Flight 2    £XXX         £YYY
Flight 3    £40          £55
If I booked Flight 3 and turned up to the airport c. 1 hour before Flight 2 and there was 1 economy seat left, would I be able to move to it? Don't fancy a 4:30AM start!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If you book the WCB option, then yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.