Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benjyyy
I wonder if you snaffled a J fare on the domestic would you get lounge access and 20 tps
BA's robot will rebook you in the original booking class
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm a bit confused by this new fare structure with regards TPs. In the past, a semi-flex would always earn 50% TPs. However I just booked the 'with baggage' option for a LGW-EDI round trip, and I'm only earning 15 TPS. It seems one leg has booked into a 5 TP fare bucket. Is this supposed to happen?? Do the HBO / Baggage options have any relation to fare class?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Platinum, A3 Silver
Originally Posted by britbronco22
I'm a bit confused by this new fare structure with regards TPs. In the past, a semi-flex would always earn 50% TPs. However I just booked the 'with baggage' option for a LGW-EDI round trip, and I'm only earning 15 TPS. It seems one leg has booked into a 5 TP fare bucket. Is this supposed to happen?? Do the HBO / Baggage options have any relation to fare class?
No, they do not!

So most likely you got 10 TP for one leg because of no availability of the lowest (O,Q,G) fare classes.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What seems to be the case, from a few checks I've done is:
- if originally booked to/from LHR, you can also use LGW and LCY on the same day of travel free of charge (and it magically comes into place at midnight London time).
- if originally booked to/from LGW you can also use LHR and LCY but there is a fare difference applied if there are no irrops. That fare difference can be exceedingly good value for money depending on context.
- If originally booked to/from LCY I think it's the same as LGW (fare difference), which makes LGW invariably free, but I need more evidence to be sure, my one example wasn't clear cut due to a time change.

And yes, even if there is just a J1 seat left, you can snaffle it up off a O class booking, on the day of departure.
Thats right on LCY, LHR/LGW required the fee difference. Luckily there was space on pretty much all the LCY flights from GLA today.

Any ideas what 'low' and 'moderate' fare differences might mean in reality?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: BA bronze
What seems to be the case, from a few checks I've done is:
- if originally booked to/from LHR, you can also use LGW and LCY on the same day of travel free of charge (and it magically comes into place at midnight London time).
I made use of the free change on the day of travel option on a "Plus" fare for the first time yesterday. I changed from one LHR-EDI flight to a different LHR-EDI flight and as expected there was no charge. Out of interest I looked at the cost of changing to an LGW-EDI flight the same day and was quoted a fare difference to pay of over Ł200.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alvador
I made use of the free change on the day of travel option on a "Plus" fare for the first time yesterday. I changed from one LHR-EDI flight to a different LHR-EDI flight and as expected there was no charge. Out of interest I looked at the cost of changing to an LGW-EDI flight the same day and was quoted a fare difference to pay of over Ł200.
Thanks for that data point, I think it must depend on what fare buckets are on offer, Ł200 is a lot for LGW-EDI so that may have been a bit of an extreme case. I'll keep watching my examples to see if I can nail down the non irrop circumstances when an airport change is cost-free.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I can't see the definitive answer to this in the thread so far, if I book a BA codeshare on EI metal (DUB-LHR) with checked baggage can I use the same day change, or is it BA metal only?

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by omk298
I can't see the definitive answer to this in the thread so far, if I book a BA codeshare on EI metal (DUB-LHR) with checked baggage can I use the same day change, or is it BA metal only?
Unfortunately not. You need - quite specifically - a "Plus" fare for this, and they are only offered on BA metal services. BA sells a "with bag" fare - not Plus - for Aer Lingus, but it's not the same ticket and has a Ł60 change fee involved. You can buy a flexible ticket for Aer Lingus and BA flights, but that's usually a lot more than the Plus fare.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Unfortunately not. You need - quite specifically - a "Plus" fare for this, and they are only offered on BA metal services. BA sells a "with bag" fare - not Plus - for Aer Lingus, but it's not the same ticket and has a Ł60 change fee involved. You can buy a flexible ticket for Aer Lingus and BA flights, but that's usually a lot more than the Plus fare.
I think I saw somewhere in this thread (though can't find it now as on mobile) that if I book a BA plus fare I can then change on to an EI codeshare - is that right?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by omk298

Thanks
I was early for my BA ticketed DUB - LHR EI flight the other week, I thought I'd try my luck and see if they would move me to an earlier flight and they did at no extra charge. I had no hold baggage and feel that they were doing me a favour rather than following process but it's worth asking at the desk. I went initially to guest services and they guided me to (from memory) the closing flight desk.

They even apologised that it was a middle seat as that's all that was left! Very helpful staff all round so I would say it's worth a try even if you can't bank on it.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: QR, BA, IB, JJ
I am planning to fly from LHR-CDG on BA. I saw this fare QV2RO -- is this a Basic fare or a Plus fare? TIA!!!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by jsaMNL
I am planning to fly from LHR-CDG on BA. I saw this fare QV2RO -- is this a Basic fare or a Plus fare? TIA!!!
Plus or Basic are not linked to the fare itself. You should be able to see your baggage allowance in MMB and of course on ba.com when you select the flights during the booking process.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
With the recent changes to introduce Club Europe on UK Domestic routes,
what booking class now gets you Lounge access? Is it only J class or does Y class also get access?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FliGuy
With the recent changes to introduce Club Europe on UK Domestic routes,
what booking class now gets you Lounge access? Is it only J class or does Y class also get access?
Any business selling class will get you in. I don't believe Y will get you in anymore (it doesn't for short haul where there is CE/ET).

Basically, if not OWS/OWE, if you are in CE you get lounge access and if in ET you don't. This is the same as short haul.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I decided to fly home a little earlier today on nun jER flight, originally Plus fare at the last flight to the late afternoon flight, which was several hundred more when in booked, saved another couple of hundred with the POUG too.

Has been my only experience of buying a Y ticket for some time, but they are both great perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.