Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:41 am

I have just made a reward booking to OSL in November to find that all the seats up to and including the exit rows (11 & 12) greyed out for both flights.

This definitely feels like an 'enhancement' to me, especially after just battling with BA & IB over seat allocation for a flight in March!

Grrrrrrrr
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Yep. I have two short-haul BA bookings left before I go all-EZY and on both of them I'm unable to select exit row seats.

Doesn't seem to affect my LH bookings.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I made a domestic reward booking a few hours ago and another yesterday. In both cases exit rows are available to select.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:21 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi,
Please be assured that we have not made any proposition changes designed to reduce your benefits. Please can I request that you PM me with your booking reference if you are still having difficulty so that we can investigate the issues you are experiencing.

Many Thanks
Louise
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Another data point which may (or may not!) be of interest / relevance. I've just booked redemptions to Dublin for me and Mrs P (me gold, her silver). Tried to shift us both into exit row seats, which gave me the 'fail' message and suggestion that I call BA. However I can successfully move myself into an exit row and leave the boss behind (I won't leave it like this, as tempting as it is).

Another slightly strange observation - even though it apparently fails to confirm us both in the exit seats, it still lists 'exit' by the row number (even though the number does not correspond to an exit row). All very strange, there's clearly odd things afoot.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Hi,
Please be assured that we have not made any proposition changes designed to reduce your benefits. Please can I request that you PM me with your booking reference if you are still having difficulty so that we can investigate the issues you are experiencing.

Many Thanks
Louise
Louise, this appears to be a widespread problem, not a few isolated cases.

I've just checked 5 short haul flights from Heathrow for random dates in November/December to MAD, ATH, EDI. In every single case, the exit rows are shown as BLOCKED on ExpertFlyer and therefore cannot be selected at the time of booking as previously.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
While this definitely appears to be systematic, it looks as though the scenarios that are causing the issue are either not incorporated in BA's testing, or are not running accurately. As such, it is good for BA to have a few 'known bad' bookings that they can examine to confirm the scope of the problem and to work out what is 'unusual' about them in order to perform a root cause analysis.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cymro
While this definitely appears to be systematic, it looks as though the scenarios that are causing the issue are either not incorporated in BA's testing, or are not running accurately. As such, it is good for BA to have a few 'known bad' bookings that they can examine to confirm the scope of the problem and to work out what is 'unusual' about them in order to perform a root cause analysis.
Arf!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:16 am

FWIW I'd made a few ex LGW SH Y redemption bookings back in Jan for travel dates in April, June and August. All of which allowed me to select exit row at time of booking. Nobody else assigned to the green row at that time on any of the flight I'd booked. Having read up on this, I've just gone back into MMB and checked the seating options again - all of which show us still assigned to exit row but the other exit seats which were all available at that time are now greyed out. Of course this could mean they are already assigned however having read this thread I suspect this is not the case and would grey out if we moved and then tried to move back again. I have no intention in putting it to the test in the name of social experimentation
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Same here, still can not assign myself to an Exit Row.
But an agent did it for me on the phone (Silver line). This time he explained to me that exit row seats are blocked for everybody and become available 14 to 4 days before departure, when the booking goes to Airport Control. Also that "this has always been like that" Nobody is saying the same thing.

Anyway after a little bit of assertiveness, he puts me on hold for two minutes and assign me to an Exit Row seat. MMB and classic.checkmytrip confirm. Interestingly the Seat Map shows me there but I am greyed and can not move (not that I want to).
I couldn't assign myself a seat either, and rang the goldline. I was put on hold and the supervisor consulted etc. but still couldn't be assigned. Apparently they don't know where the CE curtain will be yet, but it should definitely be decided before checkin opens at T-24
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:08 pm

Another confirmation that it's just a glitch.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26162751-post996.html

Call me cynical, but I don't buy it. Yes, pun intended.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
FWIW I'd made a few ex LGW SH Y redemption bookings back in Jan for travel dates in April, June and August. All of which allowed me to select exit row at time of booking. Nobody else assigned to the green row at that time on any of the flight I'd booked. Having read up on this, I've just gone back into MMB and checked the seating options again - all of which show us still assigned to exit row but the other exit seats which were all available at that time are now greyed out. Of course this could mean they are already assigned however having read this thread I suspect this is not the case and would grey out if we moved and then tried to move back again. I have no intention in putting it to the test in the name of social experimentation
Well I just have, I have moved myself from 12A to 10A and guess what, the system will not let me move back into 12A QED.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Well I just have, I have moved myself from 12A to 10A and guess what, the system will not let me move back into 12A QED.
I tried the same for an upcoming booking and had the same result. Have sent some booking references to Louise, hopefully she will be able to find out what the issue is.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
In my sphere of IT, I would expect the testing of what must be a significant change to have had this impact whether desired or not, to be tested by BA prior to its release.

I have held off making bookings this week as every single one I have attempted prevents me from selecting an exit row and every single booking I have in the system does not allow me to select an alternative seat in an exit row.

No toys have been harmed in this post.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm Reason: remove personal attack
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:09 am

I'm blue. I paid for two exit seats for ba838 in March and upon visiting the website today I can't change as the whole plane is unavailable.
Other areas show seat maps where some exit rows are chargeable and others are not.

Off topic but to top it all it looks like booking ref reuse is not picked up; apparently I'm off to JFK in may now.

Absolutely atrocious QA testing by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.