Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
It is generally not a good idea to assume that anyone in a large company is actually up to speed with everything that happens in said company. Maybe they themselves believe so, but it is seldom true.

That is one thing that always surprises me here. We expect that CR employees have all the answers at hand. They really don't. They are often young and poorly trained. Not all aviation enthusiasts either. We know so much more and are so much more OCD about BA and all that it does...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Dear all,
I would firstly like to apologise for advising that the issue had been resolved when evidently this was not the case. We have now identified the cause for Bronze and Silver Members not being able to allocate an exit row seat. I would also like to re-iterate that this was not intentional nor was it a proposition change.

Thank you for your patience while we implement a fix.

Warm Regards
Louise
Originally Posted by vibguy
In your post you mention that Louise told that it only applies to Bronze and Silvers. You hereby illustrate the mis-communication yourself. It looks now that there is no change in policy for Bronze and Silvers.
Hi vibguy. I've copied above the communication I was referring to. I'd PM'd Louise in response to her request for examples and she is looking into what is the reason for me (and other golds) not being able to book exits. There has been no discussion between me and Louise about the silver/bronze issue. Hope that clarifies.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Oh after reading 15 pages of this thread and thinking prob sorted I went back into MMB to try to change 13AB to exit row 12EF on LHR-TXL flight in April.

System allowing me to select but not confirm. I call BA. The old chestnut of "is Mr NTFM a Gold as well?" No, a Blue. So in this case, and it seems familiar to me as I type, the non-status pax in party was the reason for the block for both of us. Obviously benefit of Gold is all travel companions on same booking get free seat selection. Agent ringing it through to "Gold seating" [wow, who knew of a place? Can I ring them direct? ;->] and I'm hopeful it will just go through. But you'd think the system could figure out Mr NTFM was in the same booking and through MMB I could change both seats to exit row. Sorry, a little OT but a variation on a theme.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Still can't select Y exit rows in dummy searches as a Gold.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby
It is generally not a good idea to assume that anyone in a large company is actually up to speed with everything that happens in said company. Maybe they themselves believe so, but it is seldom true.

That is one thing that always surprises me here. We expect that CR employees have all the answers at hand. They really don't. They are often young and poorly trained. Not all aviation enthusiasts either. We know so much more and are so much more OCD about BA and all that it does...
Not sure I'd quite put it as bluntly as that but you're not far off of the truth. ^

Contributor rantings opinions to this forum are far from being a true reflection amongst BA's customer base. Taking a pinch of salt should be made compulsory when reading this forum.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Despite Louise's statement, am I the only one here to see this as further diluting Silver and Gold benefits to bring BA more income ?

IF BA is now selling exit row seats to non status holders for cash instead of holding them back for Silvers and Golds, then the availability will surely reduce and the benefits of status accordingly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Despite Louise's statement, am I the only one here to see this as further diluting Silver and Gold benefits to bring BA more income ?

IF BA is now selling exit row seats to non status holders for cash instead of holding them back for Silvers and Golds, then the availability will surely reduce and the benefits of status accordingly.
I was always led to believe that non-staus passengers could always purchase SH exit row seats. I believe they were trying to increase the price of the exit rows compared to normal seating and either cocked up the coding (official line) or realised that status passengers were "robbing" them of income (kanderson1965 conspiracy theory) and blocked golds (initially) and silvers from selecting them.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Star Alliance Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Apple iTunes 12 has a number of well documented and annoying bugs, some even predate this release. They might have been predicted and may have shown up on testing. Unlike the BA scenario they show no sign of being fixed any time quickly or at all.

Are Apple sacking their programmers? Are they counselling them?

I don't think so.

In the real world, mistakes happen, and they get rectified. Unforeseen and unpredictable things happen, and the shortcomings that arise are fixed. Nobody loses their job for identifying and addressing issues as they arise.

I am afraid that this mentality that no-one is allowed to make any sort of mistake without retribution (and compensation) is becoming far too wide spread. I presume those who advocate it are either infallible immortals or happy to find themselves frequently sacked for doing a job with occasional human lapses from the ideal perfect standard.
iTunes bugs are few and far between and they may only be experienced by some people on some machines or OSs - this problem that BA has however is widespread, consistent and extremely visible. I work in IT and have recently worked with an airline, and the equivalent of an iTunes bug would be the fact that your nearest airport is not pre-selected when you go to the home page, and it defaults to the airline's base - and even this is something that needed dealing with.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I regularly reserved s/h exit row seats before having Silver or Gold status (they did not come for free, though). Now, with Gold status, I currently cannot reserve them on new bookings at all.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by gcuk
Hi vibguy. I've copied above the communication I was referring to. I'd PM'd Louise in response to her request for examples and she is looking into what is the reason for me (and other golds) not being able to book exits. There has been no discussion between me and Louise about the silver/bronze issue. Hope that clarifies.
Hi gcuk, thanks for clarifying, that makes sense to me now.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:26 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But it seems it's just an IT issue, rather than a policy change (or have I missed something in the last 30 posts?)
There is a change: increase of price for non status holder. And its implementation leads to this bug.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fransknorge
There is a change: increase of price for non status holder. And its implementation leads to this bug.
Understand. But to be a knob for a minute and refer to the title of the thread, there is no policy change.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I cannot believe we are 300+ posts into selection of exit seats.
Bear in mind these are the seats with the most leg room out of all the seats in the aircraft so they're pretty special
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Yesterday I bought a return ticket LHR-GOT for April. Could reserve exit row seats on both segments without any problem. What am I doing wrong?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Yesterday I bought a return ticket LHR-GOT for April. Could reserve exit row seats on both segments without any problem. What am I doing wrong?
Did you reserve the seats before or after payment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.