Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by radui
iTunes bugs are few and far between and they may only be experienced by some people on some machines or OSs.
I presume this is tongue in check or you have (wisely) avoided using iTunes 12 on Windows PCs, Macs and IOS devices.

This is OT, but for those operating systems the Internet is full of threads complaining about bugs that have a major impact on usability - tracks that refuse to sync, persistent sync failures, failure to keep tracks together under single artist, loss of artwork etc. Of course, if you do not store or sync music, you may be unaffected.

In this case, the issue was operating system independent, as it was part of the application coding. We presume this was an error (and not part of a phased roll out that needed to be done in the live system).

From what I have read in this thread, it is a trivial (but annoying) issue. It is certainly not mission critical or akin to wholesale system unavailability.

Has any gold actually been unable to select an available exit row seat immediately before a flight (by which I mean 7 seven days in advance)?

As a data point, I had two upcoming flights that were caught up by this. Both allowed exit row selection before T-72 (previously this was blocked) and in both cases myself and a silver companion secured exit rows.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Have the same issue this morning when doing Oslo. I wish BA would just let us see seats before purchase...or do they? Anyway was obviously Y class and wanted emergency seats at row 10. Best is row 11 offering or row 9. So row 10 is blocked and in advance of 9 currently obviously Business. Frankly had enough and next time will be with Norwegian ex Gatwick on new ish aircraft and seat choice at cost still more than half the price of BA in total. They really are driving me away fast....

Last edited by nivsy; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:38 am Reason: Sp
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: VA Platinum
I'm Gold and can select exit row for all my upcoming flights between Thursday next week and Jan 2017. Some European flights, some domestic, some international and some economy and others club... About 12 flights in total with no issues..
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Paros_fan
I'm Gold and can select exit row for all my upcoming flights between Thursday next week and Jan 2017. Some European flights, some domestic, some international and some economy and others club... About 12 flights in total with no issues..
Yes it would seem that Gold card holders and above seem mainly to have been sorted out, however Silver card holders like myself still have no access to exit rows. I can only assume that it is taking so long to sort out is the sheer number of Silver card holders compared to Gold and above.
A question for the posters here who know a bit about IT systems, would it not have been possible to roll back the software to the previous version while they sort it out?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Yes it would seem that Gold card holders and above seem mainly to have been sorted out, however Silver card holders like myself still have no access to exit rows. I can only assume that it is taking so long to sort out is the sheer number of Silver card holders compared to Gold and above.
A question for the posters here who know a bit about IT systems, would it not have been possible to roll back the software to the previous version while they sort it out?
The answer to the second point really depends how it's setup.

If it's a rules engine and they've reconfigured the rules then yes, in theory, a roll back shouldn't be too difficult - assuming they were able to take a snapshot of the rules setup before and simply re-apply it. However, a number of the rules based systems I've seen won't allow that and require you to adjust back to how it was - a situation that might be more dangerous that altering it in the first place.

If it's a central bit of code that makes a dynamic determination as to what's available ... then again - a roll back shouldn't be too tricky.

However, what I suspect the system is, is one of those two elements above which populates onto each seat in each flight in a DB somewhere the rules about who can access - it would explain why some flights are available while others aren't for example. I think this makes the most sense as the seat maps are published up to the GDSes (as how else would expertflyer get them).

In that circumstance, even if you roll back, you have to re-populate all the rules in the flights. That takes time if you think you've fixed it and I think we have to assume they've already tried once or twice and haven't completely resolved it.

We're also assuming here that changes weren't made in many places to affect other things at the same time. Sometimes rolling back when this is a small change in a big pile can be worse than pushing forward and fixing. There's also a certain amount of 'admitting defeat' if you roll back and IT folks *tend* to prefer to try to fix things first.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by fransknorge
There is a change: increase of price for non status holder. And its implementation leads to this bug.
Confirmed on BA's speedbirdclub site: http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/all-...y/exitseatset/
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
The answer to the second point really depends how it's setup.

If it's a rules engine and they've reconfigured the rules then yes, in theory, a roll back shouldn't be too difficult - assuming they were able to take a snapshot of the rules setup before and simply re-apply it. However, a number of the rules based systems I've seen won't allow that and require you to adjust back to how it was - a situation that might be more dangerous that altering it in the first place.

If it's a central bit of code that makes a dynamic determination as to what's available ... then again - a roll back shouldn't be too tricky.

However, what I suspect the system is, is one of those two elements above which populates onto each seat in each flight in a DB somewhere the rules about who can access - it would explain why some flights are available while others aren't for example. I think this makes the most sense as the seat maps are published up to the GDSes (as how else would expertflyer get them).

In that circumstance, even if you roll back, you have to re-populate all the rules in the flights. That takes time if you think you've fixed it and I think we have to assume they've already tried once or twice and haven't completely resolved it.

We're also assuming here that changes weren't made in many places to affect other things at the same time. Sometimes rolling back when this is a small change in a big pile can be worse than pushing forward and fixing. There's also a certain amount of 'admitting defeat' if you roll back and IT folks *tend* to prefer to try to fix things first.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. Sounds very much like the world of hardware changes which I have plenty of experience of, sometimes it can be like pushing a jelly uphill.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Confirmed on BA's speedbirdclub site: http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/all-...y/exitseatset/
Looks like you have privilged access, as that url is hidden behind password protection for me.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:03 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Looks like you have privilged access, as that url is hidden behind password protection for me.
Just click the "I do not have an IATA number" thingy, select country, check Terms and Conditions wotsit and it should then direct you to the aforementioned page.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by V10
Just click the "I do not have an IATA number" thingy, select country, check Terms and Conditions wotsit and it should then direct you to the aforementioned page.
I may be being stupid here but I cannot find a entry for United Kindom in the drop down box. I however selected Belgium at random and it seemed to work thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Yes it would seem that Gold card holders and above seem mainly to have been sorted out...
Not for me as a GGL unfortunately. I still cant select exit rows on new bookings I haven't tried completing the new booking to see if I can move into an exit when the booking is complete.
Mrs gcuk (gold) can move herself from a non exit row to an exit on an existing booking, but she cannot move her sister (silver) who is travelling with her on the same booking which supports that silver still isn't fixed but golds can now move to an exit in an existing booking.

Last edited by gcuk; Feb 13, 2016 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:12 am

Perhaps us Silvers should ask for a complimentary upgrade to Gold card status, both as compensation and avoid the need for their IT to sort out the present situation.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I've still four SH segments where about half the Y cabin is blocked out for me. Strangely enough, on one of the flights, I was able to get some exit row seats. However on that one half of the cabin is still blocked out. All the blocked out rows are fully blocked out with no middle seats available.

It's a bit like a flight I had in CE last year when I had a reservation 8 months before the flight and the entire cabin was blocked out.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rediction.html
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That's great, but what is your basis for saying this issue is a result of that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.