Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I still can't book exit rows as GGL but to be honest for the little bit of shorthaul I still do with BA, which has to be in economy, I've decided it's not worth bothering about. I'm 6ft3, find a regular row very cramped so I'm now paying for a exit row on easyjet. It's not a solution for everyone but Gatwick is only 20 minutes further in the car, similar journey time by train. I'll also explore the options for seating my Star Alliance Gold card gives me (courtesy of Life membership of SAA's Voyager program) for travel to Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gcuk
I'll also explore the options for seating my Star Alliance Gold card gives me (courtesy of Life membership of SAA's Voyager program) for travel to Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia.
No ASR possible on LH/LX/OS/SN except for high fares which has nothing to do with your card (Plus Light & Relax SN). SK allow ASR for Gold but not exit rows.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UKTony
Until today both of us BA Silver so it looks like there was a hunt down and remove exit row seat allocations ahead of T-7 for Silver. Gold now so have been able to reselect ahead of 7 days.
What is this T-7 for Silver you mention?

Have I missed something and there is going to be a change in Silver seat allocation rules?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by abfab

Have I missed something and there is going to be a change in Silver seat allocation rules?
Sorry meant 3 days (T-72) for SH

Last edited by UKTony; Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by abfab

Exit row seating (on long haul) for silvers opens up for selection at T-7. It's not available from the time of booking.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
No ASR possible on LH/LX/OS/SN except for high fares which has nothing to do with your card (Plus Light & Relax SN). SK allow ASR for Gold but not exit rows.
Thanks hugolover. Saves me a lot of research. Looks like easyjet for exit rows then.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Exit row seating (on long haul) for silvers opens up for selection at T-7. It's not available from the time of booking.
Oh on long haul, I had forgotten about that! Thanks for clearing my confusion up!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Well they and you have me really confused as to what is rules and what is glitches !

My upcoming TATL at the w/e is a H fare, so offered seat selection since booking on fare basis. I can't recall whether exit row seats were available for cost or free back then, but I'm guessing not as I would have selected one.

It was offering to sell me exit row seats 4 days before the flight. Do you think they should have been free by then based on Silver status, or do you mean available to buy ?

I don't really mind, but it does highlight that there are a myriad of overlapping rules and bugs that perhaps makes what one sees and thought they understood into a battle of reality vs fiction !
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Posting only as information to others.

Booked short haul flight a few months back and as a silver reserved exit rows. T-7 now, and these are now greyed out and my seats are moved elsewhere.

Spoke to BA - they said Silvers can no longer select exit row seats and the issue is not an IT glitch. They were also unable to give a price if we wanted to pay.

My opinion of BA service obviously hasn't changed

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 18, 2016 at 4:11 pm Reason: Remove unnecessary provocative remark
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jose2000

Booked short haul flight a few months back and as a silver reserved exit rows. T-7 now, and these are now greyed out and my seats are moved elsewhere.

Spoke to BA - they said Silvers can no longer select exit row seats and the issue is not an IT glitch. They were also unable to give a price if we wanted to pay.

My opinion of BA service obviously hasn't changed.
So now, It's not a "glitch", its an "enhancement" ?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 18, 2016 at 4:12 pm Reason: Update quotation
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by capin
So now, It's not a "glitch", its an "enhancement" ?
She was clear, unapologetic, unbothered and said Silvers had no entitlement until T-24hr (as if it had always been this way). Mentioned that they were reserved and 'confirmed' since then and she couldn't care less.

Didn't HUACA as there was no misunderstanding what she was saying.

Last edited by jose2000; Feb 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm Reason: re-phrased to remove ambiguity: 'at this moment'
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:26 pm

Can one remove the BAEC number from the booking, pay for exit seats, then add it and ask for a refund?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Spire, CC Gold
Originally Posted by jose2000

My opinion of BA service obviously hasn't changed.
IMHO you could ring back up and someone else at BA tell you something different. No one seems to know their a*** from their elbow there!!

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 18, 2016 at 4:12 pm Reason: Update quotation
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Can one remove the BAEC number from the booking, pay for exit seats, then add it and ask for a refund?
Why would you wish to do that?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Why would you wish to do that?
In case it is possible to reserve them that way.

Actually, I wonder whether there is a difference in the possibility to reserve exit row seats before or after the payment page. If I try to reserve seats before payment, exit row seats are blocked in either case (even with Gold status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.