Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Has anyone emailed GGL to see if this is a bug or a policy change?
I've sent BA Executive Club and Ba.com Official a PM in the chance there may possibly be some comment/official announcement on here to see if there is a new policy or if it is an IT glitch so we'll see what happens.

I suspect it's not an IT glitch though, just a hunch!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by PETER01
I've sent BA Executive Club and Ba.com Official a PM in the chance there may possibly be some comment/official announcement on here to see if there is a new policy or an IT glitch so we'll see what happens.

I suspect it's not an IT glitch though, just a hunch!
So you think we will all be getting an "Exciting Changes...." e-mail from BA in the next week or so?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
I made an Avios booking on AS earlier today through the US BA Gold call center and asked the customer service rep about this while I had her on the line. She said she wasn't aware of any changes to the seat selection rules for BA elites.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
So you think we will all be getting an "Exciting Changes...." e-mail from BA in the next week or so?
I'm not so sure the word exciting will be there though
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Given that the front row(s) of CE are gold reserved seats and you are gold according to your profile, this would be truly bizarre if it were intentional: golds cannot select gold reserved seats!

Perhaps indicates c*ck up more likely than conspiracy (or part way through a multipart IT change being done in the live system for some reason). I'd wait to see what happens on a normal week day rather than a weekend, before assuming the worse - another enhancement.
Same issue here with LCY club bookingson the E190. Row 1 and 2 blocked.. Called GGL and given the same line as the OP. So GGL booked into club cannot pre assign the only four good seats in the cabin? Hope it's an error- this is a step too far.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Buzzz
As a very tall Gold (6'5"), this would be a serious enough change to cause me to look elsewhere. Access to the exit row seats isn't just a luxury for me, it's an absolute necessity.
I agree. 6'3" here if these changes come to fruition I will burn the avios and say goodbye. Esp as I mainly fly short-haul.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
So many parts of BA still work on the 'they won't notice / they know nothing principle' so I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a policy change, the first indication of which is unlikely to be a notification but an amendment to the wording on the seating policy page.

From a safety perspective you would think they would prefer frequent flyers in the exit rows (except the older larger ones).

It's little changes like this, to try and earn extra money, which makes me more determined to complain to the CAA everytine I cant see the safety demo from the far corners of the club cabin on the 777, or on the upper deck of the 744
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by A P Yu

From a safety perspective you would think they would prefer frequent flyers in the exit rows (except the older larger ones).
Maybe not if they are spending too much time drinking in the lounge before a flight or being those DYKWIA types who would push people back to get their hand luggage to take off with them in an emergency
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I asked the BA Twitter team, who tell me that there have been no changes to exit row selection... as long as it's within 14 days of the flight.

Hmm!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I asked the BA Twitter team, who tell me that there have been no changes to exit row selection... as long as it's within 14 days of the flight.

Hmm!
If there was a change, I highly doubt it was to just align Golds to the Silver policy.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
The other thing that seems to have changed is that Silver members no longer appear to be able to select row 1 in CE from 3 days before the flight. Was able to do this on Saturday for my flight on Tuesday, but was not able to do it on Sunday for my Wednesday flight.

Hope this is a temporary glitch, but more likely related to the exit row issue (which I also encounter in other bookings).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
For info, I have just book an internal flight within South Africa on BA Comair PLZ-JNB. Nothing changed here and I could select any exit rows I'm glad to say!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:39 am

Just had a look at my GLA to LHR flight in April on which I have 1a and 1b. The flight is empty and I can select anything I want in row 1 but the 6 exit over wing seats are all blocked.

So it looks like an over wing exit issue rather than a row 1 which is ok for me truth be told.

Still strange mind you.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Lets hope they don't apply this apparently new rule to longhaul club world. 62A and 62K are designated as exit row seats so with the loss earlier of 64A to a bassinet position, we'll all be fighting over 64K on the upper deck.
I'm probably in the minority but the constant devaluation of product and benefit on shorthaul has opened my eyes to other carriers. I have flown way more easyjet sectors than BA over the last 2 years. This change may transfer my longhaul loyalty as well, purely because a relationship is two way, built on trust and a sustained, stealth devaluation of benefits ultimately breaks that trust. Maybe we'll hear officially today?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
Lets hope they don't apply this apparently new rule to longhaul club world. 62A and 62K are designated as exit row seats so with the loss earlier of 64A to a bassinet position, we'll all be fighting over 64K on the upper deck.
I'm probably in the minority but the constant devaluation of product and benefit on shorthaul has opened my eyes to other carriers. I have flown way more easyjet sectors than BA over the last 2 years. This change may transfer my longhaul loyalty as well, purely because a relationship is two way, built on trust and a sustained, stealth devaluation of benefits ultimately breaks that trust. Maybe we'll hear officially today?
Just checked one of my 747 bookings to JFK and 62/64 is still able to be selected. Seems to be a short haul focused change perhaps as that's where the most pain is felt (pun intended)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.