Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:39 am

To me, it looks as though BA are about to charge a little extra for seats, over and above standard seat selection, for a spot in the exit row.

I never pay for seat selection even when we were dumped down the back on Row 26, on different sides of the cabin.

Palmer
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

They removed the Silver benefit of free exit row selection without much (any?) notice IIRC.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Star Alliance Gold (status match)
*Looks* like the policy change may be that exit rows can be reserved at T-72. I tried to make multiple dummy bookings, and am able to select an exit row seat for free (as Silver) on flights up to Feb 10th - for a Feb 11th booking they are blocked.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:53 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Whilst I wouldn't completely discount an IT snafu being at play here, it's also clear from this thread that exit row seats are valued at a premium compared to those in the rest of the aircraft (row 1 probably also excepted).

Given that apparent premium perception, I don't think it's at all unlikely that BA would now be looking to extract a premium for them.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Buzzz
As a very tall Gold (6'5"), this would be a serious enough change to cause me to look elsewhere. Access to the exit row seats isn't just a luxury for me, it's an absolute necessity.
In which case BA assumes you won't mind paying for it.

It is a fairly logical step for BA to take given that many LCCs charge a premium. I expect it'll end up being exit row limited to GCHs for free (perhaps?) but this is probably being implemented over the weekend hence the block for the moment.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by V10
Whilst I wouldn't completely discount an IT snafu being at play here, it's also clear from this thread that exit row seats are valued at a premium compared to those in the rest of the aircraft (row 1 probably also excepted).

Given that apparent premium perception, I don't think it's at all unlikely that BA would now be looking to extract a premium for them.
I certainly would pick them over any other SH seat. Row 1, unless you get on first will probably mean, storing your bag a few rows behind, which is annoying when disembarking. Plus, 1B and 1E always seem to be taken on domestic, but the relevant middle seats in exit rows aren't that often.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am seeing unselectable CE exit row seats on A321 in 6 weeks time. There are other CE seats available further forwards.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

It is a fairly logical step for BA to take given that many LCCs charge a premium. I expect it'll end up being exit row limited to GCHs for free (perhaps?) but this is probably being implemented over the weekend hence the block for the moment.
Yes, I expect there will be an announcement here tomorrow, this is about the time of year when they make changes, isn't it!?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-changes.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Although I have no status with BA I think I too have some relevant info.

I am AA Gold (OW Ruby). At T-7 I was able to select bulkhead seats for my trip to JNB I am on right now.

I just tried to do the same for my next trip to JNB next week as its T-7 and it is charging me $90 to get an exit row now. I called BA and the gal told me that I can't choose an exit row of bulkhead anymore at T-7 on long-haul flights.

I'll be Platinum next week but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to get bulkhead/exit row seats anymore after reading this thread.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

The issue for customers like Buzzz and I is the extent to which we can make a booking into a seat which will provide enough legroom. Old CE had plenty of seats so on most flights we could buy a CE ticket and be guaranteed a seat with enough legroom. Then BA changed CE, so we ended up using our status to snag the remaining legroom seats - the exit rows... and I don't mean the front row of no recline exit row seats but the rear 6 seats which are good enough to sit in.

I would happily pay extra to sit in those seats but it looks as though we may have to compete with all pax booking onto that flight rather than just the golds and silvers.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

It looks like they are going to change access to exit rows. As a Blue I could reserve exit rows on domestics for the standard charge but on my current booking they are now shown as unavailable.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Just looked at a flight on Tuesday that previously showed exit row as occupied (though probably actually blocked). All seats now available (until I grabbed two).

Return flight (which is in a week's time), still has me in exit row seats, but returns an error if I try to touch them. Let's me keep existing exit row seats though.

Definitely something happening, though whether IT error or policy change remains to be seen.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Yes, I expect there will be an announcement here tomorrow, this is about the time of year when they make changes, isn't it!?
I was wondering what will be introduced after this very good sale which ended on 2nd of Feb. Remembering shocking changes from last year.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I'm seeing 1AB on an E90 unavailable for selection even (CE to IBZ). We're in 2CD which are also marked as exit.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ENTP
I'm seeing 1AB on an E90 unavailable for selection even (CE to IBZ). We're in 2CD which are also marked as exit.
Given that the front row(s) of CE are gold reserved seats and you are gold according to your profile, this would be truly bizarre if it were intentional: golds cannot select gold reserved seats!

Perhaps indicates c*ck up more likely than conspiracy (or part way through a multipart IT change being done in the live system for some reason). I'd wait to see what happens on a normal week day rather than a weekend, before assuming the worse - another enhancement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.