Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver/Golds can no longer select Exit Rows in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
The loss of seat selection on HBO fares passed me by since in the event my company defaults to non-HBO. And last year's devaluation didn't clobber me since I hadn't been in the program long enough to get used to the old system. But if they're tinkering with seat selection for SCH/GCH on normal economy fares, I really do have to wonder how long I'd continue to book them for shorthaul.

For kicks, I just priced up an upcoming trip LON-ATH. On BA, they're charging GBP178 (Q and O classes, so it's not a matter that the flights already are filling up) for a non-HBO that now may or may not include exit row seats whenever they announce whatever change is brewing. On EasyJet, I would spend GBP136 -- for similar flight timings, including a checked bag on each leg and exit-row seats.

In the event I've already booked this trip with BA as part of a holiday package, and so far my pre-reserved exit-row seats are sticking. But the comparison has me thinking about whether that'll really make sense the next time. BA are making a lot of changes (super-J 744s, BAEC devaluation, removal of seat reservation on HBO, now maybe this) on the back of improving demand in an improving economy. My read as an economist is that they shouldn't assume that will continue for very much longer, and I would think smarter management might be worried about not doing things now that will alienate the loyal customers they'll need if and when there's another downturn.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Dan Air lifetime Gold
Can't see much benefit of flying BA in Y now compared to EZY
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flashware
Just checked one of my 747 bookings to JFK and 62/64 is still able to be selected. Seems to be a short haul focused change perhaps as that's where the most pain is felt (pun intended)?
Yes, can confirm that on future LH sectors exit row seats are available.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
They're now charging £14 to select an exit row seat at online check in. Twitter team oblivious to this and website not updated to reflect.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zappomatic
They're now charging £14 to select an exit row seat at online check in. Twitter team oblivious to this and website not updated to reflect.
Any option to prebook (even at cost)?

And no issue if they are charging non-elites/lower level elites. But if this is really going to be a fee for Golds/GGL...

Last edited by sts603; Feb 8, 2016 at 3:19 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Stealth enhancement is hardly new, it just makes me worry about what else they are about to enhance without telling anyone.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by sts603
Any option to prebook (even at cost)?
The seats were blocked a day or two ago, until check in opened.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zappomatic
The seats were blocked a day or two ago, until check in opened.
What's your status?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by ENTP
I'm seeing 1AB on an E90 unavailable for selection even (CE to IBZ). We're in 2CD which are also marked as exit.
No CE exit row seat bookable on my E190 and E170 flights next week. Will have to set a reminder to see if I can snaffle my beloved 2D at 72 hours out...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
I think it's been an IT Issue - I had previously been unable to select an exit row seat on a ET redemption booking I'd made on Friday... I have just tried now and it worked fine and I have been able to select an exit row seat
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:22 am

Can also report I now have access to select exit row seats again as well.... Well sort of. Can in some bookings, but not others, and doesn't appear to be all exit rows.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Irons80
I think it's been an IT Issue - I had previously been unable to select an exit row seat on a ET redemption booking I'd made on Friday... I have just tried now and it worked fine and I have been able to select an exit row seat
I just checked and I still cannot access the rear exit seats on the a321 service I'm on in ET. I wonder if it's a new status thing and us Silvers are getting shafted again...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Can also report I now have access to select exit row seats again as well.... Well sort of. Can in some bookings, but not others, and doesn't appear to be all exit rows.
Sound to me as if BA have implemented a change (perhaps just in price of exit rows, not status eligibility to select) and to do this have locked all SH exit rows to everyone including agents until T-24.

Having made whatever change it is, BA's IT are releasing the block on exit row selection, probably flight-by-flight.

Pure speculation on my part, but it does fit with the evidence so far. (BTW I was able to select an exit row at greater than T-24 yesterday evening so that fits too).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Just managed to select an exit row seat at T-72 for a domestic to LHR on Thu. No charge. Not sure if this adds anything to the debate, but if the change is simply that you can't select an exit row until T-72 then, whilst inconvenient, I can probably live with it. However, I suspect that there may be a move to allowing you to buy a seat prior to T-72 which, if it applies to Gold and or Silver status holders, would be an unwelcome and regressive step.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
One one of the flights I booked last night and couldn't choose exit row seats, these have now appeared bookable. Previous bookings seem also to be protected for now, but on other flights I can't choose the exit row seats, even if row 9 is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.