Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA silver.
A few recent weekend flights ex-T5 (both UK and continental) have dispensed with strict boarding order and just called all the priorities forward as a job lot. As a bottom-rung bronze I was fine with this.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Completely random this week at various airports.

LHR T5 - queue of 30+ already formed for priority boarding and all variants (CE, Gold, Silver, Bronze etc.) called at once, with people cutting into the queue at all points. As a G(GL) travelling in CE, I was probably 40th-ish to board. No issue with overhead space in the end but a poor overall experience.

AMS - Line formed 15 minutes pre-boarding. CE and Gold called, with some initial checking of the line by staff but then a free for all again. No policing from about T-5 on the lines.

HKG - 3 separate lines, First & Gold; CW WT+ Silver & Bronze; WT. All formed well into these lines, but then boarding of all lines started together, so a scrum on the airbridges.

None of these airports seemed to actually follow the process as defined by BA, so they wonder why queues have again started to form 10 minutes before boarding - it's because on the day, nobody knows which set of rules will be used.
Fully agree with the HKG experience. It has happened that way on the three flights I have had this year from HKG, even when in F I have been boarded after the CW and WT lines. Then of course the inevitable scrum just before the air bridge when no-one is heading for the right section. Last time people for the upper seats were heading for the lower deck and being turned around at the door. No-one to direct them and far too much trouble to be able to follow a sign.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Why are we not writing customer relations every time procedure isn't followed?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Slightly off topic, on the EDI - LHR this morning and once we were in the air; the crew announced a special thank you to our gold card holders and members of the executive club and one world members.

Getting back on topic, boarding was gold, silver, bronze and one world equivalent members (all at once).
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by sts603
Why are we not writing customer relations every time procedure isn't followed?
Because they don't seem to know what's going on either! My last email to CS received a response telling me that the process is First / Business passengers, then Gold, Silver and Bronze at the same time!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As a silver, I find the whole short haul boarding process way more stressful than the old system. Previously, I'd just stand in the fast track line, knowing I was entitled to be there with CE/golds etc. Everyone else boards after fast track.

Now it's a complete mess. To give an experience in Dublin as an example. They explain that boarding will be CE, golds, silver, bronze then everyone else. In that order. Problem is, there is only one line and it's anyone's guess where in that line you should be. You try to position yourself appropriately (I was way back), but you don't really know the status of those around you. You can't just remain seated and wait (well you could if you were happy being last on) because once boarding begins they don't say when CE/gold etc are done. I suppose you could push further forward but then you're just contributing to the animal nature of it all.

CE next time! 😝
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Misco60
I really despair at how British Airways' staff can continue to get such a basic and simple process so horribly wrong, time after time.
Maybe BA should take a leaf or two out of easyJet boarding procedures. (Then again, maybe they should steal the whole handbook…)
Thanks to BA schedule changes I’ve flown easyJet LGW MLA several times, and boarding has been a breeze/pleasant experience.
Without exception the correct boarding procedures were followed for the outbound and inbound flights (even by the contract staff in MLA – a different company to the one used by BA in MLA)
Speedy boarding passengers called forward first; then family groups with children under 5 and assistance passengers, followed by general boarding.
Passengers – in their boarding order -then proceed down the air bridge (or similar) and wait behind the barrier for the crew to finish prepping the aircraft (about a 5-10 minute wait).
No unseemly rush or crush for those who paid for speedy boarding: unlike the ignominy endured most of the time by BA club and first class passengers.
The only ‘downside’ being I had to pay for food on-board; which to be honest wasn’t too bad, and had to ‘suffer’ 3 x 3 seating, but then again I was in 1D.
Fast track is hit and miss at LGW so no great loss there, and with PP a pleasant lounge experience was had in Aspire!
Overall the entire experience was surprisingly pleasant (and less stressful), with efficient and smartly attired boarding staff and cabin crew, and 50% cheaper than CE.
Am I a convert to easyJet? Only time – and BA scheduling – will tell!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
For the first time in 22 domestic and European sectors that I have undertaken since the announced changes, boarding was done correctly (as I understand what the process is supposed to be) at LHR on a domestic.

First call was Domestic UK, Gold, OWE - please come forward to priority lane, everyone else remain seated. Queue was regularly policed, and non compliant passengers were declined at the boarding scan.

Next call, after all the above passengers were processed, was Silver, OWS and any remaining Domestic UK, Gold, OWE - please come forward, everyone else remain seated. Queue was regularly policed, and non compliant passengers were declined.

Third call, once all the above passengers were processed, was general boarding, OWR use the priority lane. Priority queue was policed, and non compliant passengers were declined and sent to general.

^

Prompt boarding and seating, bin space seemed fine, Good job. Compared with the mass charge of people usually, this was efficient, stress free, simple and quick.

Last edited by rjn21; Apr 24, 2016 at 4:42 am
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rjn21
For the first time in 22 domestic and European sectors that I have undertaken since the announced changes, boarding was done correctly (as I understand it is supposed to be) at LHR on a domestic.

First call was Domestic UK, Gold, OWE - please come forward to priority lane, everyone else remain seated. Queue was regularly policed, and non compliant passengers were declined at the boarding scan.

Next call, after all the above passengers were processed, was Silver, OWS and any remaining Domestic UK, Gold, OWE - please come forward, everyone else remain seated. Queue was regularly policed, and non compliant passengers were declined.

Third call, once all the above passengers were processed, was general boarding, OWR use the priority lane. Priority queue was policed, and non compliant passengers were declined and sent to general.

^

Prompt boarding and seating, bin space seemed fine, Good job. Compared with the mass charge of people usually, this was efficient, stress free, simple and quick.
Oooo, I'm so jealous. I've still yet to experience the new system in operation
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:05 am

As another poster said and as I was under the impression it had been a pilot only and it hadnt been agreed to be universally adopted and enforced. Is that not the case?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by gw76
As another poster said and as I was under the impression it had been a pilot only and it hadnt been agreed to be universally adopted and enforced. Is that not the case?
It was confirmed as the official policy, emails were sent out advising travellers of the change together with details of the order boarding would be managed on all future flights.

... as I say, I'm still waiting for it to happen since the procedure was confirmed.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Was on LHR-MXP last week and all pax with some sort of priority were called at the same time. Luckily the plane was not even half full so pretty smooth boarding (relatively speaking). People in Priority lane arriving later were almost ignored.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Fully agree with the HKG experience. It has happened that way on the three flights I have had this year from HKG, even when in F I have been boarded after the CW and WT lines. Then of course the inevitable scrum just before the air bridge when no-one is heading for the right section. Last time people for the upper seats were heading for the lower deck and being turned around at the door. No-one to direct them and far too much trouble to be able to follow a sign.
Sounds very much like the Cathay three line method: F+OWE, J+OWS, the rest. I don't know how or if there's any priority boarding for premium economy or Bronze or whatever the OW/Cathay equivalent is, I've never needed to find out.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:16 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It was confirmed as the official policy, emails were sent out advising travellers of the change together with details of the order boarding would be managed on all future flights.

... as I say, I'm still waiting for it to happen since the procedure was confirmed.
When it came in, I had about 50% success on LHR and LGW flights out of GLA, now dropped to nil.

I still have about 10% success at Heathrow. One particularly good occasion where the chap came down and extracted me as Gold, and another guy as Business UK, to the very front ^

Complete failure everywhere else.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:37 am

BCN BA0471 last night. No calling of CE or status, just a straight all pax get on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.