Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BA silver.
LHR to ZAG earlier today (Saturday) - as with my flight to BRU a couple of months back, all priority categories were called forward as a job lot. I don't think there were many of us. Both of these flights were on the weekend, which I suspect is the reason, but I'd like more data.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
I reached the B gate just before general boarding started at LHR, so no idea how it went at the beginning.

At ATH they take it easy and boarding was not even announced in the lounge when the Final call was flashing on the screens and people boarding. There was something I assumed was fast track and which I used, but again no idea if it really was a fast track and how it went at the beginning or after boarding was finally announced in the lounge.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
On Friday, for the first time ever, I experienced Business UK, golds and silvers being called, rather than all priority boarding being called together. This was from LHR-GLA. Boarding took over an hour (!) so it was dreadful, definitely not an improvement. General boarding started before bronze was called (if it was called at all - once I realised general boarding had started I didn't hang about!). I'm happy to let people with Business UK and higher status go ahead of me, but I don't want to completely miss out on priority boarding when it's the one decent benefit of bronze status.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:54 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Brashly Bronze
On Friday, for the first time ever, I experienced Business UK, golds and silvers being called, rather than all priority boarding being called together. This was from LHR-GLA. Boarding took over an hour (!) so it was dreadful, definitely not an improvement. General boarding started before bronze was called (if it was called at all - once I realised general boarding had started I didn't hang about!). I'm happy to let people with Business UK and higher status go ahead of me, but I don't want to completely miss out on priority boarding when it's the one decent benefit of bronze status.
Welcome to the forum.

It's not really priority as such if you think about it for Bronze members. The best that you can hope for is boarding via a separate queue at the same time as general boarding begins.

Any reason why it took so long that you could see?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by V10
Welcome to the forum.

It's not really priority as such if you think about it for Bronze members. The best that you can hope for is boarding via a separate queue at the same time as general boarding begins.

Any reason why it took so long that you could see?
I've always been called to board with Golds and Silvers before, so had assumed that was the norm. I think the delay was caused by the usual chaos with too many HBO fares and not enough room in the overheads, but it's never usually as bad it was on Friday.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:48 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Brashly Bronze
I've always been called to board with Golds and Silvers before, so had assumed that was the norm. I think the delay was caused by the usual chaos with too many HBO fares and not enough room in the overheads, but it's never usually as bad it was on Friday.
That's certainly how it used to be; bronze was able to board at the same time as gold, silver and business. The new system holds bronze customers back, although it's far from consistently applied.

I guess this is a situation where the bronze "perk" is worth comparatively little, with a likely high percentage of gold and silver cardholders and a sizeable proportion of passengers travelling with cabin baggage only (whether on a HBO ticket or not) putting a lot of pressure on the limited overhead locker space.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:37 am

BA428 to Amsterdam this morning, all status and club europe called at the same time, so the queue for fast track was longer than the general boarding. Although they held general boarding back until they had let three quarters of the fast track line through
Old May 2, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
SOF - LHR today, the checking of passports and boarding passes worked well with the general queue being held as passengers approached the priority queue but that is where it fell down.

Once past the boarding pass check it was a holding pen and when they opened the door to the air bridge there was a brief mention of business passengers but absolutely no checking of passes.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
PRG-LHR this morning - actually done properly for the first time I have seen for weeks.

CE & Gold / EMD, then Silver / SAP, then Bronze etc.

Almost all of my other flights have been a mess, other than MAD-LHR last week - was interested to see that IB has boarding groups printed on the BP, like AA. Hadn't seen that before and it kind of worked.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:57 pm

There's been a flurry of 'it's happening' posts here.

I'm wondering if BA have actually started some reminders to staff.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:05 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I think bronze boarding would work just fine if it were implemented properly. You could say 'CE and gold board now' then 'silvers board now' then 'bronze board now' then 'general boarding.

Oh wait...
Old May 2, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I can provide a datapoint of boarding order done properly last Friday at AMS. Gate D24 too, which is badly laid out. CE and Golds were invited to come forward. The one or two Silvers who weren't listening got asked to stand aside when their BPs checked.

A sea-change from the scrum at D24 the previous week ... following which I heard three separate requests, to the CC, for raising a formal complaint as people boarded.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by contractor
BCN BA0471 last night. No calling of CE or status, just a straight all pax get on the plane.
BCN is always a bit of a scrum, with a priority sign set off to the side of the singe queue pointing vaguely at the desk but no set put priority queue.

I have started walking up to the front of the queue and saying 'Disculpe, fast track' - not ideal but unless they implement two queues not sure what else is best to do.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I flew BCN last week and priority boarding was enforced in the sense that they checked priority status of those in the Fast Track queue and let them board first, albeit with no apparent distinction between CE, Gold, Silvers etc so that anyone with status was allowed to board.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
You will never see a proper boarding with SK, they simply do not do it.
Nor Ba! A mystery to all except fters. One day i'm going to grab the micorryaphone and do it myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.