Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Another one, BOS-LHR daytime flight (BA238)! Ms F (newly minted Gold) and her hanger-on (me) were upgraded from WT+ to CW at checkin, then on board the senior cabin crew member comes looking for Ms F and offers her the chance to go upstairs, with her entourage. So we're now in 60A/B.

Ms F is starting to notice the increased level of attention since she hit Gold

Last edited by flatlander; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:41 am Reason: not sure there was an aircraft change
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:04 am

Offered A$1199 to upgrade SYD-SIN at checkin... declined... then heard the magic beep at gate!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if BA Gold gives you a higher chance of upgrade on other OW airlines as well?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woodwoodwood
Does anyone know if BA Gold gives you a higher chance of upgrade on other OW airlines as well?
On CX I'd say I get upgraded from PE about 2/3 of the time (mainly short haul connecting from BA).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I do, and yes I was passing through HKG last August so that could have been me. Probably me on LBA flights too. Do feel free to say hello if you spot me in future.

Yes, same problem here. I still have all my booking to sort our after March where they no longer work due to rebooking. Also I can't imagine I would be on the route once it's downgraded.
You posted on my thread about HKG- I think I then asked if you were the grey haired chap drinking champagne in the lounge and you assured me not! LBA isn't really working for me anymore since the service was slashed. Not decided whether to rebook through Manchester or cut the LBA off the already booked flights or go for a totally different option. BA customer service have been very flexible so far! I had quite a few but only done a couple and thinking about the rest. I am probably going to become more familiar with the Sofitel but the 3 day flight rotation thing makes it hard to work out the options quickly. Worked well with 1 redemption as I have ended up extending trip by 2 days which was what I originally wanted. My app is a mess as it shows the new flights, the cancelled ones and the ones that they have auto rebooked where I am flying from LHR to LBA before I have even left the USA or now spending 2 days on arrival waiting for a connecting flight to LBA.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: executive club
Just got an upgrade from WT+ to CW on the BA103 from LHR to Calgary.
Husband just turned silver and myself bronze. Checked in on the App as normal but upgraded at check in desk.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Upgraded last week from Premium Economy (WT+) to Business on LHR-ORD, presumably due to an aircraft swap. The seat was reassigned about 3 days prior to departure.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
ATL-LHR 25/01 CW-F. OpUp at the gate. All cabins except F looked oversold on Expert Flyer and people talking around the gate about being on the standby list. The extra space was very welcomed on the overnight.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by starbucks88
Just got an upgrade from WT+ to CW on the BA103 from LHR to Calgary.
Husband just turned silver and myself bronze. Checked in on the App as normal but upgraded at check in desk.
Did the aircraft by chance change from a 787-8 to a 787-9 (in other words, did you notice a First cabin on the plane)?

I've had this a couple of times on the YYC route, which seems to get a 789 more often than other 788 routes. This results in a more premium configuration (more Club World and less World Traveller), and a good shot at upgrades for passengers in WT+, in particular.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by woodwoodwood
Since I achieved Gold back in 2016 I've had 4 cabin upgrades which have all been in the last 12 months. 3 were Economy to Club Europe, and one (most recent Jan 18) from WTP to CW.
Maybe BA have looked at my travel schedule recently (lots of LHR to GLA/EDI/CDG/AMS which about 40% I've already booked into CE and thought lets give this fella an upgrade. Who knows?? Whether I were a different Tier would I have got the upgrades is probably a speculative question. Maybe someone on here knows how (if at all) what the BA policy is on upgrades.

ML
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
Another one, BOS-LHR daytime flight (BA238)! Ms F (newly minted Gold) and her hanger-on (me) were upgraded from WT+ to CW at checkin, then on board the senior cabin crew member comes looking for Ms F and offers her the chance to go upstairs, with her entourage. So we're now in 60A/B.

Ms F is starting to notice the increased level of attention since she hit Gold
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Did the aircraft by chance change from a 787-8 to a 787-9 (in other words, did you notice a First cabin on the plane)?

I've had this a couple of times on the YYC route, which seems to get a 789 more often than other 788 routes. This results in a more premium configuration (more Club World and less World Traveller), and a good shot at upgrades for passengers in WT+, in particular.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles

Yes the plane changed from a 788 to a 789. We are due to fly home on Saturday and the plane has again changed from a 788 to a 789. Travelling again in WT+ so will see if it happens again. Not banking on it though.
makin'miles likes this.

Last edited by starbucks88; Feb 8, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
BA107 LHR-DXB
WT+ to CW
BA Silver

was F2 J3 W5 E5 T5 Y5 T-3 hours and stayed like that all the way till nearer to departure, ended as F1 J0 W2 E2 T2 Y0. Oddly WTP was actually full.

but J had 8 seats empty when I got upgraded at T-3h. Then it gradually got filled with more people till it was completely full. I get the impression WT and even WTP were completely oversold hence J was being held back from being sold except as a fully-flex (and hence justifiable offload of WTP or WT?). I have seen cheapest WTP bucket (T) seats on sale on the day when people have been op-upped from the cabin already! Must just be a way of guaranteeing a full flight when compared to someone paying a last minute J fare?

My sister, also BA silver (her first flight as Silver) however was left behind in WTP - she refused my 64A seat!

Last edited by Foofighter69; Feb 8, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
BA268 LAX - LHR on last Saturday, reward ticket bought a week earlier in WT+, upgrade to CW on a day of flight. I actually didn't notice it, until I gave my boarding card to security. Checkin staff never mentioned it, so it must have happened a few hours before it. Nice of BA, maybe they want to keep me flying with them.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
BA762 LHR-OSL on Saturday, originally booked as a double Avios award ticket [so, same cost as if I booked CE] - it happened as I was having my BP checked at the First Wing.

Due to half term holidays, it was full flight, and I guessed it helped being Gold.

I've lost nice legroom in row 12 [EER], but had an interesting chat with a seatmate in row 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.