Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Y to J on 1227 LHR-ATL on Friday. It was such a lovely surprise as when I came on board the CSM pulled me aside and told me he had been waiting for me and had found me a much better seat! He and other crew who looked after me were fantastic, my first golden ticket duly given to the CSM and a long note of thanks sent to BA as well.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
CW to F on the BA16 SYD to SIN leg on Monday, flight was fully booked apparently. First time in F on BA, crew were decent as was the food but wasnt a massive fan of the seat...lacked privacy and looked a little dated compared to the only other F sectors i have done which were on EK. Still very much appreciated. No such luck on the BA12 back to LHR!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
OpUp at the gate 26/11 BA227 LHR-ATL CW-F. The gate agent's tone came across a bit narky, I felt like it was announced a little louder than necessary that "you've only been upgraded so that we can fit everyone on the plane". Small price to pay, the upgrade was very much appreciated and I really like F on the 787-9. I got an inkling as I refreshed the app just before boarding to see the seat change...not noticed that before.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
WT+ to CW HKG-LHR on BA32, OpUp at gate. Much appreciated as I had come from CX (BA codeshare) AKL-HKG on PE (which is a long daytime flight), although had eaten well at The Pier First Lounge in advance, anticipating not really wanting the WT+ option. Had booked bulkhead on WT+, but EF indicated very low availability in WT+ when I looked a couple of days before.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Two for two! BA107 LHR to DXB on 29/11 WT+ to J. My spidey senses had sensed a full flight based on Expertflyer tracking so when a £160 POUG offer from WT to WTP popped up about 5 days before the flight I was quite surprised but jumped on it - only one seat available to reserve in WTP so it seemed like an odd POUG to offer. I'm Gold - woke up on the morning of the flight to a pleasant surprise in the App. I also sensed that the CSD was prioritising full paying passengers when taking their food orders, unless there is a weird route he follows which leaves seat 19D until last... So I had no choice of starter but I can certainly live with that.

The coming back on 4/12 on BA104 it happened again. This time I had made it al the way to the lounge before the App updated - very nice to know the machine at the gate is going to bing when you walk up to it. Again a wee but odd as I'd had an Expertflyer alert set for an upgrade seat in J since the day I booked it 2 months ago which never hit, there was another POUG constantly offered (which troughed at £510 ish iirc) but they gave me the upgrade anyway. Nothing unusual about the food ordering (all choices available) and my first welcome speech from the iPad toting CSD as a Gold, despite this being flight number 10 or so with the status. The very smallest of small talk was exchanged, and quite frankly, it was so dull he may as well not have bothered...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

WT+ to CW. Op up at the gate from LAX-LHR last night. First time since the early noughties! A happy chappy
stevie, Cymro and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Two for two! BA107 LHR to DXB on 29/11 WT+ to J. Then coming back on 4/12 on BA104 it happened again. .
I was on both your flights in WTP, why was it you and not me ?
[sobs softly]
Clareym likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Was hoping for a birthday upgrade last night CPH-LHR. Nothing, not even an acknowledgement...

Does online check-in affect chances at all? I don't tend to do them.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjai
Does online check-in affect chances at all? I don't tend to do them.
The consensus of thought is yes, well probably... It shows that youre commited and intending to fly however its a black art and most of the consensus can be disproved umpteen times over..

Another wives tale is that if you choose a meal that commits you to the cabin you are in hence reducing your likelihood of an upgrade.

No-one really knows..
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
BA0005 tomorrow WT to WT+ for me and my companion. Had exit row seats in WT, now exit row in WT+ on the 4-class 773.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
The consensus of thought is yes, well probably... It shows that youre commited and intending to fly however its a black art and most of the consensus can be disproved umpteen times over..

Another wives tale is that if you choose a meal that commits you to the cabin you are in hence reducing your likelihood of an upgrade.

No-one really knows..
We have indeed had some information that OLCI increases the chance of upgrade since that particular list is consulted by DUT in working out who to upgrade. It's not a totally clear situation since DUT can work before OLCI (sometimes well before), and often makes final choices during the boarding process. For Special Meals that normally would rule out upgrades. It's always best to do OLCI - even if you don't print your boarding pass - since it also establishes if your ticket is in good order, and gives a hint as to whether you're down for additional security checks.

Now sunshinebob, I'm not sure you realised, a couple of years ago, how popular this thread would be, getting on to quarter of a million views. But have you had an upgrade yet???
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now sunshinebob, I'm not sure you realised, a couple of years ago, how popular this thread would be, getting on to quarter of a million views. But have you had an upgrade yet???
I have a soft spot for this thread and read it most days. I am always buoyed with people's stories and glad that the thread has got as much traction over the last couple of years..

As for my upgrades, I have had one and only one.. It was a 241 J to F on a 380 to LAX in April 2017. Coincidentally it was the week I made Silver for the first time. I will make Gold in early march and am eagerly looking forward to my next upgrade in April or May ( Hint Hint )....
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
100's of flights and upgraded once from WTP to CW. Always hoping for a nice surprise. Never happens
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Congrats on the upgrade, just one minor thing - not that it matters much when it comes to getting upgraded from PE to J: CX do not have any 787s in their fleet. You were almost certainly on the A359, which is, IMHO, one of the best planes in their fleet! I hope you enjoyed your flight!
Apologies, yes, it was the A350-900. Getting my planes mixed up!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by fets_be
BA0005 tomorrow WT to WT+ for me and my companion. Had exit row seats in WT, now exit row in WT+ on the 4-class 773.
Finally ended up in CW with an at the gate op-up it seems, so essentially a double upgrade on this itinerary.

Very happy with this ;-) I figured out we were moved up while in Galleries First as the seat numbers where changed in the app but decided to not break the news to my companion and experience the "at the gate" upgrade.

The GA just changed the seat number on the BP with a pen, and did not mention anything about being put in J.
internetplumber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.