Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Nothing in this world is guaranteed except death and taxes, usually not in that order, but perhaps you need to think about booking in WTP at the best price you can, in the first instance. As a BA Silver in WTP you could get a few CW upgrades if the aircraft fills up. And SEA is a good one for hefty last minute demand, thanks to the tech industries there. Mostly they have an Economy (WT) travel policy, so being in WTP will be a good place to start.
Yes I am booking most of my travel in WTP. There was just a recent promo where SEA-Europe trips were an insane $400 in WT return so picked up a few of those.
At the end, I am happy in WTP, just that the occasional CW upgrade is welcome at the frequency I will be on the route ^

Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
J-F on yesterday's SEA-LHR. Upgraded in lounge, they were trying to sell F seats at checkin to J passengers for $700.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Dropping my bags off for tonight's BA11 LHR - Sin, was told WTP was booked out and I was on the upgrade list but she couldn't tell how high up. As I assumed a midweek flight wouldn't be that busy and there seemed to be lots of seats when I checked it, I had no thought of an upgrade. Now I'm going to be slightly disappointed when I don't get it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by criso
Dropping my bags off for tonight's BA11 LHR - Sin, was told WTP was booked out and I was on the upgrade list but she couldn't tell how high up. As I assumed a midweek flight wouldn't be that busy and there seemed to be lots of seats when I checked it, I had no thought of an upgrade. Now I'm going to be slightly disappointed when I don't get it.
If the agent volunteered this insight, then she should not really have done that, for the disappointment factor you mentioned. If you asked, well, that's different. SIN rarely leaves empty.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:54 am

If the agent volunteered this insight, then she should not really have done that, for the disappointment factor you mentioned. If you asked, well, that's different. SIN rarely leaves empty.
I didn't ask, we were looking at the seat map as I had been hoping for a window seat. And yes she said I'm not supposed to tell you but .....
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And yes she said I'm not supposed to tell you but .....
Looking at the seat map 61K seems to be available, but that is indeed the only empty place in WTP, CW and First looks full-ish too. But there seems some space in WT. Nevertheless it's an A380 so BA did well to fill that up.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:29 am

Looking at the seat map 61K seems to be available, but that is indeed the only empty place in WTP, CW and First looks full-ish too. But there seems some space in WT. Nevertheless it's an A380 so BA did well to fill that up.
That wasn't showing as free an hour ago on the agent's map, I'm just across the aisle and she said full not blocked, maybe someone paid to upgrade.

I commented on how busy it was and apparently a lot of people going on to Syd for the start of the cricket season she reckoned.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:39 am

That wasn't showing as free an hour ago on the agent's map, I'm just across the aisle and she said full not blocked, maybe someone paid to upgrade.
Fast moving situation: that seat has now gone!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Three people [first a couple, then another guy] by the purser, on MAD-LHR on Saturday evening.

Business class went to row 8 [A319] and, following these, it was full.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I did end up getting an upgrade from WT to WTP one hour before the flight on the eastbound overnight TATL as an emerald. The "upgrade with cash" insane offer for that segment was $2500, or wait to get it for free, lol.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I did end up getting an upgrade from WT to WTP one hour before the flight on the eastbound overnight TATL as an emerald. The "upgrade with cash" insane offer for that segment was $2500, or wait to get it for free, lol.
Presumably that fare is computer generated but totally insane really!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
A double-double at the weekend. Booked into WT, aircraft change with same seats pushed Mrs CKBA and myself into the WT+ cabin, then both of us ended up in CW. Never saw that one coming... .
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
Booked into WT and upgraded with avios to WT+ on an overbooked (by 4) 747 from IAD to LHR. Asked to change my seat assignment to 33K at check in, to which the gate agent replied “You want to downgrade?!”. Turns out I’d been bumped up to J. Result!

i even offered to voluntarily offload (for the right price), but they didn’t need me to.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by armouredant
Booked into WT and upgraded with avios to WT+ on an overbooked (by 4) 747 from IAD to LHR. Asked to change my seat assignment to 33K at check in, to which the gate agent replied “You want to downgrade?!”. Turns out I’d been bumped up to J. Result!

i even offered to voluntarily offload (for the right price), but they didn’t need me to.
You tried your best not to fly J, it didn't work, better luck next time...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:26 am

CW --> F last night on the 174 JFK-LHR - slept the whole way from wheels up and being woke up 25 minutes out.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.