G–ZBKO Delivered
G–ZBKP Delivered
G–ZBKR Delivered
G–ZBKS Delivered

Print Wikipost

BA's 787-9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:33 pm

Does the -9 have a bigger cross section? BA are claiming wider seats in Y - but it's still a 3-3-3 arrangement.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), GF (Gold), EY (Silver), EK; Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
AUH?

I have seen the old 777-200 ZZZ birds with 17F / 48 j seats full many times....
I was thinking that, too! 17F to 8F is quite the capacity decrease.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Does the -9 have a bigger cross section? BA are claiming wider seats in Y - but it's still a 3-3-3 arrangement.
Same cross section - Boeing would be nuts to do otherwise!

There have been mentions of BA attempting to address the issue. Maybe slimmer armrests, aisles etc. Can't see how they can squeeze anything that significant out of what is already in the -8 though.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Is PE considered Y? Trying to do the 3-3-3 math.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-787-9-414554/
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
AUH?

I have seen the old 777-200 ZZZ birds with 17F seats full many times....
Indeed, so have I, although about half that number were upgraded into F on my last trip to AUH earlier this year.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:19 am

AUH?

Originally Posted by GF2B
I was thinking that, too! 17F to 8F is quite the capacity decrease.
Whilst F sees a decrease in capacity, the overall capacity versus a ZZZ 777 is only -3 seats in total. ZZZ are 219 and 789s 216. Perhaps just fewer avios upgrades to F available on the route
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Spot the error on their page. Or maybe not, it is like they are introducing a big brother. Aww.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Spot the error on their page. Or maybe not, it is like they are introducing a big brother. Aww.

I didn't know BA had cancelled their other 21 orders
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Bizarrely, the article says the first birds will come in 3-class config and will then be "wheeled back into the workshop" to be refitted with F after a few months.
Is that really the case? I'd have thought that 3-class deliveries will remain as such, with subsequent deliveries being 4-class. The only reason I can see for doing a refit so soon is if the new F seats aren't ready for installation yet.
That's really the case, according to what BA PR told me (I'm the author of the linked AusBT article). And yes, it struck me as odd as well, but they say the 787-9s are needed to handle peak travel periods before F goes in.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:12 am

AUH?

F full of people actually paying a F fare?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by djsflynn
That's really the case, according to what BA PR told me (I'm the author of the linked AusBT article). And yes, it struck me as odd as well, but they say the 787-9s are needed to handle peak travel periods before F goes in.
Ah yes, that well known October Peak
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:13 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by simons1
F full of people actually paying a F fare?
I'll have to try and get in early using a Joker!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:13 am

At the BA engineering open day they did just over a month ago I pestered the interior team with questions on the -9 so I have a few little nuggets.

The Y class seats are confirmed to be wider. Being able to compare apples to apples with the new WT on the 77W vs. the 787, it's clear that the seats have been designed in different widths for different aircraft. Staff said they received so many complaints about the narrow Dreamliner seats that they've decided to narrow the aisles in favour of more seat width. Personally, I think wide aisles are increasingly important these days as load factors increase and more and more luggage moves up from the hold to the cabin. Additionally, the 78's windows mean that hemmed-in feeling you get with tight configurations is abated a bit, especially for window and middle passengers. It's hard to choose which, but I suppose for the longer routes these -9s will (eventually?!) operate this will be a better config.

The second thing is on the initial no-First config. Judging from the what was said, it seems the number of F seats took a lot longer to firm up than they expected. If this is the case then perhaps the seats indeed won't be ready until the winter schedule. A few staff said they thought they may be going with 12 / 3 rows, but the issue here was with the Club seats behind. Demand aside, 3 rows of First would have only left space for 1 row of club - compared to the exclusive 2 rows in the final config, this would probably have become a cramped single row. The reason being - which is clearly shown in the BA seat map - is that they've decided on a very substantial cabin divider in forward cabin. BA have never had to deal with separating F from Club as F traditionally has had it's own cabin, so the interior guys were saying they'd been looking at lots of different ways to do a proper bulkhead divider rather than a flimsy wall. I would have said this now looks like a wardrobe on the seat map, but as F gets personal ones I'm not sure. So overall I think it could also be that this decision hasn't been made, or that this bespoke furnishing isn't ready, hence the delay for the first cabin.

One last thing, moving the TV to the fixed position apparently means dining for 2 will no longer be an option on the -9. I thought this would be a result of switching to a long slim ottoman as well as not having the guest lean against the screen, but the seats do still intersect so we'll have to wait and see what killed that one.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:37 am

Although BA is trumpeting the Boeing 787-9's first international flight from London to Delhi on October 25
could this be a sign BA is going to upgauge the other flight to Delhi to an A380? As the flight BA is changing to a 787-9 is aimed for TATL connections, whereas the other daily flight is more likely to be aimed at O&D. This could result in more higher yield J&W TATL connections to India on the 787-9 flight, since this aircraft is more premium heavy. Whereas the A380 flight could be used for lower fare, higher volumes, with the this flight timed to be more appealing to O&D and VFR.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The 787-9 has been put on the DEL route as there is strong competition for 3 other airlines including Virgin who also intend to use their 787-9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.