G–ZBKR Delivered
G–ZBKS Delivered

Print Wikipost

BA's 787-9

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by notforfooduse
I think I read something recently on here about some 777s not having 2 F seats because BA hadn't measured the cabins properly so instead having an ugly boxed off crew rest area. Can't find the thread though...

Edit: may have found the thread, but it makes no mention of measuring cabin so not sure about that recollection...
Edit 2: relevant seatmap
It's nothing to do with measuring the cabins and everything to do with having the cre rest are required for longer flights.

Otherwise how would you explain the planes that have 2 more seats where the crew rest area is on the ones you're mentioning?
Old May 7, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by oscietra
Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

it's = it is

its = possessive

Companies are generally classed as collective nouns (describing a group rather than an individual) so it should be "BA has", not "BA have"
Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Another poster feels a need to correct grammar on an internet forum
Old May 7, 2015, 3:01 am

Unlike French, English is not a prescriptive language; there is correct grammar, and then there are those who choose to opt out and create their own "style" (for instance in the US, the plural set out by Ldnn1 would be OK, though not ideal, to use).

The Economist's style guide (which I take to be the arbiter on such matters) is firmly in the camp of collective nouns taking the singular, and that is (not are) the norm for corporate comms in the UK and Australia:

"A government, a party, a company (whether Tesco or Marks and Spencer) and a partnership (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill) are all it and take a singular verb. So does a country, even if its name looks plural."

www.economist.com/style-guide/singular-or-plural

Of course people is free to choose to be different, but it's (not its!) important that people is armed with the knowledge of what are technically correct. But as you'll have just noted, it is annoying when people get it wrong!

Just because something is in "common usage" doesn't mean it is correct. It is not, and it's total nonsense to suggest that the police is the only collective noun which takes a singular verb. A little learning.....

Last edited by oscietra; May 7, 2015 at 3:45 am
Old May 7, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not necessarily correct. Generally a matter of style. "BA have stated" is perfectly acceptable in the sentence above.
Agreed, I was researching this very point recently. Both forms are in common and acceptable usage these days, with the only notable exception being 'the police' which is never used with the singular form "the police is looking for..."
Old May 7, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Agreed, I was researching this very point recently. Both forms are in common and acceptable usage these days, with the only notable exception being 'the police' which is never used with the singular form "the police is looking for..."
except by dem chavs dat da police is lookin for
Old May 7, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
More importantly what about the new CW - if there is actually going to be one !!
Don't hold your breath - given they did not take the glorious opportunity to do this wit the A380.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:40 am

Where are the pics of the supposed "new" F and J seats - can't find them on search.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by oscietra
Where are the pics of the supposed "new" F and J seats - can't find them on search.
There were a few pictures of zoomed in detailing. Looked just like the old ones really.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is no new CW seat or First seat for the B787-9 that's why there are no pictures.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
There is no new CW seat or First seat for the B787-9 that's why there are no pictures.
Umm... https://twitter.com/british_airways/...31727059726337
Old May 7, 2015, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cosmetic changes only but there are some changes to the set up that will be popular.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I thought there were more, but these were two close-ups that were knocking about a while ago:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...7-9-dreamliner

The quote from FvdP is vague though - 'new' or 'further development':

"The new cabin on the 787-900 is a further development, which we think our customers will love. It will feel exceptionally elegant and beautifully British — exactly what our customers ask of us."
Old May 7, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Cosmetic changes only but there are some changes to the set up that will be popular.
If its the same seat I assume the seats will no longer be angled into the windows allowing for more space around the waist/feet when sleeping?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well there's a question.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Perhaps this concept for CW which was posted on here a few months back?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F...s800/seats.png

It is the current setup with what looks like the same seating density but with the seats angled slightly differently so as to give direct aisle access to all passengers. Strictly speaking not a new seat, just a tweak on the major flaw in the current seat in today's market which is no direct aisle access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.