Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by simons1
They will be offering tap water next.
Subject to availability: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ls-shower.html
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by headingwest
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancisA

The idea that someone flying an cheap LCC SH flight will be allowed in if they pay, but a BA F passenger will be turned away "due to capacity restrictions" is frankly ridiculous.

If I were a passenger who had the option of using the No 1 Lounge by paying out of my own pocket (and previously had), I'd be pretty annoyed at not being able to use the lounge because BA had more or less taken it over. BA passengers don't have any more rights to use the lounge than paying passengers.

I know that the current arrangements aren't ideal, but previous (non-BA) users of the No. 1 Lounge will also be suffering now.
Paying at the door customers can also go to other pay on entry lounges at LGW and if they did value entry so much should have pre-booked.

BA customers on the other hand have already prepaid through their ticket and BA are offering no alternatives for them.

So choice is turn away someone who has already paid or turn away someone who would like to pay but hasn't. Which is fairer?

If you are a previous No.1 user you might not be happy with what is happening; if you are a regular BA flyer you are likely to be appalled at the new arrangements!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Davidob
I have had champagne served in the No.1 traveller lounge whilst travelling on another airline in business class. The lounge agent just handed us a little card to show the barman, after examining our boarding passes to gain access, so BA could easily have negotiated it as part of their contract.
Thank you for posting this. I've even more incensed at what BA has done now.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This is really only partially true. BA passengers only have the option of the No 1 lounge - PP & Dragonpass card holders can pick from three lounges in the North Terminal. The chances of them being unable to find a space somewhere is relatively low, whereas the same can't be said for BA's customers.
Very true. Although the existing users of the No. 1 Lounge are probably not too happy about the new arrangements either. To say that BA now has a monopoly on this lounge, and all other guests come second IMO is quite unfair.

BA passengers also have a choice. If they're not satisfied with the product BA offers they can choose other airlines.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
I imagine, taking a mid-term view, although there may be many imperfections with the No.1 lounge to endure now, they will be *relatively* short-lived and when the new complex opens up in the south terminal at the end of the year we may be rewarded with improvements, one of them being the very location in said south terminal with no EasyJet transit required. I was minded by a nice Flounge staffer at LGW recently that it would be a better space [but he might have been instructed to big it up...]

Trying to keep my [champagne] glass half full on this one
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:56 am

BA customers on the other hand have already prepaid through their ticket and BA are offering no alternatives for them.

So choice is turn away someone who has already paid or turn away someone who would like to pay but hasn't. Which is fairer?
My wife and I are Priority Pass members and we have also prepaid through our membership. Where are we in the pecking order?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:58 am

To say that BA have a monopoly on this lounge now, and all other guests come second IMO is quite unfair.
Has anyone actually said that?

I suggested that BA pax should be guaranteed admission, but guests should be subject to capacity restrictions.

No.1 themselves have distinctions when applying capacity constraints - at moment PP holders and similar are first to be turned away. Has anyone heard of a pre-paid No.1 customer being turned away?

The middle ground is pay on the day and I would turn them away before BA pax as they can easily go elsewhere.

Not ideal, but these temporary arrangements look seriously misguided to me.

Last edited by FrancisA; Jan 5, 2016 at 6:04 am
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
This at least presents a solution if overcrowding is indeed a problem (which we don't know yet, with no actual experience in the thread!). BA could make similar agreements with the other lounges.
They also have the smaller 'MyLounge' next door. Whcih I have used before when flying Easyjet and I must say is great value for £12-15 (depending on how you book). There's no champagne and only snacks but is beer and premium spirits (albeit a limited selection).

Better than many EU BA lounges. Would definitely suffice as an option, I know next time I am flying from LGW with BA, I will request entry there instead.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
My wife and I are Priority Pass members and we have also prepaid through our membership. Where are we in the pecking order?
In No.1's existing set up - bottom of the heap.

I too have a PP membership - it lasts a year and allows access to any lounge with a PP deal for free.

I also buy BA premium flights which allow lounge access immediately prior to my flight, but at no other time.

PP make clear that lounge access is subject to capacity and it is well known that this is often invoked at some airports.

BA mention subject to capacity, but I have never heard of a BA F passenger being refused entry to a lounge at a BA hub airport for capacity reasons.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I think the point was PP members can now use three lounges at Gatwick, but BA pax can only use one.

Given how crowded the BA lounge gets on Saturday mornings during the school holidays before all the long hauls leave, I do reckon this is going to be fun to watch at Easter - and if I'm right in thinking that the peak flow does occur in the morning, surely the smart solution is to offer pax the option of a breakfast voucher or lounge access -although I guess policing this would be the issue.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Given how crowded the BA lounge gets on Saturday mornings during the school holidays before all the long hauls leave, I do reckon this is going to be fun to watch at Easter...
Probably from the corridor leading to the lounge unless you are one of the lucky few to get in
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Let's all spare a thought for the lounge agents. Their job is probably about to become a nightmare.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Let's all spare a thought for the lounge agents. Their job is probably about to become a nightmare.
Yes, but I'm sure BA will station a manager at the lounge entrance to soothe over any concerns and rectify the situation immediately
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:15 am

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:16 am

......these temporary arrangements look seriously misguided to me.
I most certainly agree with you there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.